• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought the new Rino 650.. .anyone else used it yet?

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Pretty excited to have the capability to download the sat. image overlay. .gonna be much easier to read the roadmap from now on!:becky: Just curious if anyone has any experience with this model yet?? .. and I'll have my 530 hcx, with extras, for sale up at haydays also if anyone's looking for one. .

Johnny

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Any feedback on the 650 now that you have had it awhile?

B
Dec 28, 2008
washington
You guys will love the 650 or 655 ,we have them both and use them alot . Camera on 655t sucks, but its cool it gives location where the pic was take on your map both use
r friendly, i would recommend getting the 2a battery back for them.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
While the 650 is a nice piece the 530 is more feature rich menu wise. I've used the 650 for a season and I always look back at the 530 and think it does things better. I've had 6 530's and know them inside out. The 650 seems clunky. Maybe it has to do with the touch screen and the way they had to integrate the menus. Also I believe they over simplified it for the common GPS user. I've taught a lot of people the basics of GPS and I find people get all worked up about learning/using them. I think Garmin is trying to make it easier for the first time user. If you have a 530 I wouldn't nec run out and lose a bunch of cash just to get a 650. The biggest plus I found on the 650 was the tracks. Way more which was something they should of done on the 530 series. I talked to Garmin over and over about the lack of tracks compared to routes on these outdoor units. Routes come from the aviation days where straight line is used.

I've been using Garmin since the 90's in aviation and you can't buy a better GPS IMO.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
interesting information, i have had several rinos in the past from the 120 to the 520 530 530hcx and now just waiting for the new one i ordered to replace my 520. i real like the 530 hcx was a big improvment over the older 530. i was thinking the the 6xx was going to be a big improvment over the hcx. looking forward to do a side by side comparison. anyone else like the older design better

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
How is the screen on these?
I have an Oregon 450T and it is not easy to see in the shade and completely washed out and unreadable in the sunlight.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
I didn't have much trouble reading the screen ..definitely keep your contrast set to max level helps. . .. and comparing the 530 and the 650 ..one of the biggest selling points for me was the birdseye feature. .. .just picking out a riding area..selecting what I wanted to download, and then having a zoomable satellite image at my fingertips to help get us outta whatever hole we got ourselves into..

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
I didn't have much trouble reading the screen ..definitely keep your contrast set to max level helps. . .. and comparing the 530 and the 650 ..one of the biggest selling points for me was the birdseye feature. .. .just picking out a riding area..selecting what I wanted to download, and then having a zoomable satellite image at my fingertips to help get us outta whatever hole we got ourselves into..

I'm really new to my 655T and pretty new in general to GPS's. Where are you guys finding satellite images for these things?

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
It's a subscription thru Garmin ...30 bucks for a years service and you load the program and download images from their maps and save them on your gps. ..go look for birdseye on the garmin site and you'll see what I'm talking about ..I think they have a tutorial video there .. or there should be something on youtube as well to get ya up to speed . .

Premium Features