• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

170 H.P. from a 4 turbo 4 stroke?

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
SO YOUR SAYING WITH 13LBS BOOST YAMMAHA IS GETTING 110HP BOOST AND CAT IS ONLY GETTING 60ish HP HUH! I RESERCHED MY INFO GUESS I WILL HAVE TO RESEARCH YOURS:ranger::loco: MT DREAM! CAN YOU CONFIRM THIS HOPE YOUR OUT THERE FOR THIS ONE

Im running my nytro at around 17lbs at elevation for 270hp as most everyone with the 270mcx kit is. Lower PSI at lower elevations. The 240 kit does run around 13-14lbs, and the 180kit I beleive around 8lbs boost.

H
Dec 12, 2009
My point is what is the point of a factory turbo sled when you just have to dump more into to it to get it to the same horsepower or less than the rest of the market? 170 h.p. is pathetic for a turbo 1100 cc sled, and the point of using the Yamaha as an example was that it even with the crappy factory turbo it is still making more horse power.

H
Dec 12, 2009
Seems pretty simple to me. Bone stock AC makes 177 hp Bone stock apex makes 150 hp. Which number do you think is higher.

Yeah bone stock naturally aspirated Yamaha makes 150, bone stock (turbo) arctic cat makes 170. The fact they need a turbo to make 170 is just sad.

I've been very happy with my m-series since the switch to AC last year (after my RMK blew up on the first ride out), the fit, finish and attention to detail on the Arctic Cat impressed me from the first day of ownership... I guess I just expected more from them when they labeled this as the greatest thing to come to snowmobiling.

Last edited:

O.B.

Lifetime Membership
Mar 24, 2008
missoula mt
The only thing that really matters is if you were buying a brand new yamaha and tring to get 250hp and buying a brand new cat and tring to get 250 hp. Which one would be cheaper. The cat by about 4500 dollars! Thats not counting for the diffrent skid and track you have to put on the yamaha to make it work. I'm keeping my boosted yamaha but snow checking the new turbo cat. Because for around 15000.00 for a brand new sled that you can around 250 hp thats cheap. Just my two cents!

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Yeah bone stock naturally aspirated Yamaha makes 150, bone stock (turbo) arctic cat makes 170. The fact they need a turbo to make 170 is just sad.

I've been very happy with my m-series since the switch to AC last year (after my RMK blew up on the first ride out), the fit, finish and attention to detail on the Arctic Cat impressed me from the first day of ownership... I guess I just expected more from them when they labeled this as the greatest thing to come to snowmobiling.

Why do yo keep stating 170 hp when it is clearly labeled as 177, if your going to round it off then you should state 180 hp. Right now this sled is by far going to be the biggest baddest stock sled on the hill. (open pulls, not trees) so what are you so upset about. If you want more then spend the extra 600 bucks and you'll have 240hp form a practically bones stock sled. Give your head a shake, your really starting to let your ignorance through.

Last edited:
R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
SO YOUR SAYING WITH 13LBS BOOST YAMMAHA IS GETTING 110HP BOOST AND CAT IS ONLY GETTING 60ish HP HUH! I RESERCHED MY INFO GUESS I WILL HAVE TO RESEARCH YOURS:ranger::loco: MT DREAM! CAN YOU CONFIRM THIS HOPE YOUR OUT THERE FOR THIS ONE

Thats exactly what I am saying, i researched your info and mine as well to hopefully speed this lesson up. Every 240 HP kit for a yammy is running 12-14 lbs... realizing the reason that Cat isnt getting the HP numbers per pound of boost is because of the emissions. My point is the same as the originator of this thread, your still gonna be dumping money into it to be close to the HP as other sleds and the 2011 Z1 was 13,800 msrp so I hope that the M1100T has a serious price cut from last years Z1....and all of that HP wont matter if it comes in at the 600 lb mark..
1100.jpg

Horse power is based on RPM. That is the reason the Yamaha makes 150 hp because target RPM on that engine is 10800-11000. Any 4 stroke engine will make more power if you rev it higher the problem is stabilizing the valve train at those high rpm ( 358 c.i. nascar motors spin near 10k at some tracks and make 900 hp) You cant spin a CVT clutch that RPM without it coming apart that is why the apex motor has a gear reduction built into the case to slow the drive down to roughly 8000 RPM. Another advantage of the 4 cylinder is volumetric efficiency. The smaller bore makes for better cylinder fill by the intake port. This is less important on boosted engines but still has an effect on total power output. The Nytro motor as stated by RCR3 (1050 triple) is less efficient and the target RPM is 8800 and makes approx. 130 hp. The fact is its all pistons rods and valves not rocket science. The big CAT twin will require more boost to make similar power simply because its a lower revving twin. But who cares the stock turbo is good to 18 lbs and with a bigger turbo that little engine has been proven to be bullet proof at 30+ lbs with the stock bottom end. Iv also spoken with chad at CR about his cat z1... He said it didnt make as much power but he also said it was much heavier than he thought he could make it. As far as I know he never put a bigger turbo on it.

Chad is selling his sled right now running the BOondocker, D & D Kit on it with the bigger turbo, claims 350 HP on 26 lbs...

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
350 cat HP vs 350 yamaha HP... my dyno just sees the numbers not what make is stamped into the block. If they both make the same power and one didnt pull as hard as the other wouldnt that come down to drive system I.E. getting the power to the ground? Weight?
Chad never mentioned a yamaha. He said it didnt pull as hard as his skidoo 1200t.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
The only thing that really matters is if you were buying a brand new yamaha and tring to get 250hp and buying a brand new cat and tring to get 250 hp. Which one would be cheaper. The cat by about 4500 dollars! Thats not counting for the diffrent skid and track you have to put on the yamaha to make it work. I'm keeping my boosted yamaha but snow checking the new turbo cat. Because for around 15000.00 for a brand new sled that you can around 250 hp thats cheap. Just my two cents!

If the 240 Number is where you want to be I couldnt agree with you more, either way both way too heavy to be mountain tree sleds (IMO obviously we have no clue what it weighs)...but wouldnt you have to spend the same money either way at 240 horse to keep the skis down?? Cats skid by no means keeps them planted on the M's now in that HP range....

Someone must like that CAT 4stroke (notice the one stop Nytro in the other lane....APEX motor BIG TURBO)
http://www.youtube.com/user/hallnracing#p/u
oh here is a gooder
http://www.youtube.com/user/hallnracing#p/u/5/OCK_JQuHCP4

Kinda funny your right it appears that guy does like his Cat he has a bazillion videos of it :) kinda hard to tell who actually wins the first one, yes it is OSP Nytro, but obviously the camera angle is kinda skewed a little...either way OSP has the world record for snowmobile ice, and grass drags on there Nytro, that has to speak for something. And the second video is a ski-doo 1200 etec

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
350 cat HP vs 350 yamaha HP... my dyno just sees the numbers not what make is stamped into the block. If they both make the same power and one didnt pull as hard as the other wouldnt that come down to drive system I.E. getting the power to the ground? Weight?
Chad never mentioned a yamaha. He said it didnt pull as hard as his skidoo 1200t.

Not sure where this is going, but if it didnt pull as hard as his ski-doo it def didnt pull as hard as a yammy...maybe some 1200 etec turbo guys will back this up, but not even doc zooms carbon 1200 pulled as hard as my impulse nytro...yes WAY smoother power just not as hard..

And yes weight and drivetrain will still be the key to this whole equation, like i said earlier i personally like the looks of this new chassis and im xcited to ride one, just going over the numbers in my head it doesnt make sense to buy a stock turbo..but that is just my opinion, im sure it does make sense for alot of people.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com

i swear peolpe need a basic aptitude test to post on this forum, so much misinformation its just sick:face-icon-small-dis

at 10K elevation a M8 will make something in the neigborhood of 120hp

while this new 4 smoke will still make above 170hp at this elevation

regardless of stock HP numbers, if this 4 smoke is near 500lbs dry, its a huge hit, id guess $500-$1000 in aftermarket fuel control and clutching will get this thing to compete, add a CE track and its gonna be a runner

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
Not sure where this is going, but if it didnt pull as hard as his ski-doo it def didnt pull as hard as a yammy...maybe some 1200 etec turbo guys will back this up, but not even doc zooms carbon 1200 pulled as hard as my impulse nytro...yes WAY smoother power just not as hard..

And yes weight and drivetrain will still be the key to this whole equation, like i said earlier i personally like the looks of this new chassis and im xcited to ride one, just going over the numbers in my head it doesnt make sense to buy a stock turbo..but that is just my opinion, im sure it does make sense for alot of people.

Not going anywhere just friendly afternoon banter :) If I cant make the cat pull like a yammi I will just turn the boost up until it does...If that dont work I will plant flowers in the P.O.S. and ride the tried and true TM8 :face-icon-small-win
And the videos are from glen hall. I watched him last fall at haydays swap records with a OSP sled on his 1200t 2 stroke. The yammi did end up with the record at 142 mph I believe.
By the way im a big fan of paul and his impulse product. He does make big nasty power. Have you seen his nypex? That is the sickest sled I have ever seen.

Last edited:
R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
Not going anywhere just friendly afternoon banter :) If I cant make the cat pull like a yammi I will just turn the boost up until it does...If that dont work I will plant flowers in the P.O.S. and ride the tried and true TM8 :face-icon-small-win
And the videos are from glen hall. I watched him last fall at haydays swap records with a OSP sled on his 1200t 2 stroke. The yammi did end up with the record at 142 mph I believe.

Haha, finally someone who is just here to chat not shove a point down someones throat. Im here to learn and listen and if somebody can educate me Im always down to cram it into the memory bank.

Yah i was at hay days too watching when Glen made those pulls, that sled is wicked fast no doubt, I may be wrong but i think OSP even set a more recent record as well....

The longer i read and re read your post I understood where you were coming from and I agree 350 is 350 and then you go into the weight game and power delivery and torque, which i believe is equally if not more so important than HP. I have always said that the M8 motor has been the best motor ever built. if i had an never ending wallet i would shove a TM8 motor in my pro...somehow :face-icon-small-hap

On an ending note, everything will come down to a weight to HP ratio in the end and until we see those numbers it doesnt really matter.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
i swear peolpe need a basic aptitude test to post on this forum, so much misinformation its just sick:face-icon-small-dis

at 10K elevation a M8 will make something in the neigborhood of 120hp

while this new 4 smoke will still make above 170hp at this elevation

regardless of stock HP numbers, if this 4 smoke is near 500lbs dry, its a huge hit, id guess $500-$1000 in aftermarket fuel control and clutching will get this thing to compete, add a CE track and its gonna be a runner

So ray does that mean you wanna snow check one?

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Now I remember why I hate the people on here

1 out or 4 is sitting in a college class using their smart phone to argue “no mine is bigger”

1 out of 4 is still stoned from last night

1 out of 4 is a crapshoot

The last 1 out of 4 is actually worth reading their post and can spell…………

I love how people are claiming horsepower with mods on a sled that is still yet to be released? Priceless, oh I know it’s the:

“ My brother-in-laws cousin’s best friends uncle saw one in that field up yonder behind Arctic Cat and he could hear the turbo screaming and talked to Speedwerx on Youtube who said its running afterburners on pump gas”

I hate most of you !

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Isn't Yamaha getting 150 from a N/A motor with at least 50cc less displacement? Wasn't all the weight associated with a 4 stroke supposed to be offset by big horsepower numbers?

Duc:

Here is what you are forgetting. The turbo pumps out 177hp at any elevation. The Yammie does not.

For instance at 7,000 feet elevation, the Yammie puts out 118 hp, the Turbo still puts out 177. That is a 59 HP difference. That is a big difference. That is 33% less power with more weight to boot on the Yammie....

Peak boost on the stock turbo is 13 PSI. Like others have said, reprogram the ECU and pull even more hp out of the engine.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I love how people are claiming horsepower with mods on a sled that is still yet to be released?

The 1100 turbo is in its 3rd year, and there have been scores of aftermarket ECU mods done to it people wanting more HP.

It is NOT a first year motor.........

YOur right, I hate most people on here too! :):face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features