• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help-2011 m8 grinding noise

T
Sep 24, 2010
So I went out and rode the other day I have about 175 miles on the sled and I noticed a noise in the clutch area. I lifted the cover and the belt was all torn up so I changed and and rode the sled. As the day went on I kept hearing a grinding noise so I checked the clutch, weights, rollers and springs and everything looks fine. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be wrong. I am thinking maybe a bearing or something in the diamond drive.

Also I dont know if this is related but at about 100 miles my gauge stopped displaying speed. The needle would just bounce and now it does not move. It will however display RPMs telling me the needle is not broke. About 30 miles later the gauge quit counting miles. A day of riding it will go up maybe .3 miles. Could this be linked to the noise I am hearing and the belt being torn with only 175 miles?

Thanks for the help.

B
Dec 14, 2010
fyi

i cant imagine from what ive read that this would happen at 175 miles but people are saying that one of the ways to tell if the bearing is out it plays with your speedo and such search some dd older posts i just read these a couple weeks ago shouldnt be that hard to find good luck

C
Nov 26, 2007
It doesn't sound like a good thing, thats for sure. Check to make sure the belt didn't shred pieces into a part of the primary or secondary first. If they are good take it to the dealer and have them inspect the diamond drive. It's hard to believe that the dd is shot already but it's also hard to believe the belt didn't last longer than it did. Keep us informed please. I just bought a 2011 M8, so I would personally be very interested in the diagnosis

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Different year m8 but I just lost the inner bushing on my secondary....metal to metal. It wasn't pretty....lost a brand new belt too. Looked great when I serviced it??????? Go figure. Might be worth a look see

Doesn't account for the speedo thing....opposite sides of the sled?

M

minecat

Nov 27, 2007
Winnemucca, Nevada
I would say that you have metal shavings blocking the magnetic pickup for the speedo would definately take to dealer to have checked or just pull the plug and check for yourself sounds to me like you have a serious problem

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Check to make sure the track shaft brake nut has not backed off. I have also seen the belt rub the metal guard under the secondary clutch and it sounds like grinding.

Last edited:
D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I would say that you have metal shavings blocking the magnetic pickup for the speedo would definately take to dealer to have checked or just pull the plug and check for yourself sounds to me like you have a serious problem

x2

Sounds like you have two separate issues going on. The speedo one is easy. Just remove one torx bolt and pull the sensor off the bracket. Dust off metal shavings and re-install. 10 minute job.

T
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks

Thanks everyone for all of the help and input.

As far as the speedometer since there is a turbo on the sled it was rerouted and some wires had just came loose so I got that problem fixed.

As far as the grinding my dealer told me to take off the clutch and check that over and then drain the diamond drive fluid and look for shavings and flush it out. This will tell me if I have a serious problem or not. I am starting with this today and will let you guys know what I find.

As far as the belt it did wear pretty quickly but I guess that can be expected on a turboed sled.

Thanks for the input everyone! I will keep you posted.

blackvelvet

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2007
belt issue

if your alignment is correct you should not be tearing up belts with that few of miles even with a turbo, i run 4-500 miles per belt on my m8t

Premium Features