• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCX or Impulse?

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Just to clear up the information here. Impulse is the only standalone fuel system out there and the standalone system runs on 750 cc injectors. These are the largest available for the Nytro and you will not max them out without toasting a motor at 25 lbs of boost. The Impulse standalone is fuel managment system maps these injectors very well and there is never any fuel lacking to hit 18-19 lbs of boost which is all you need to climb shoots. Not bashing here just informing. Impulse does not need to add extra injectors.

What you need to consider when putting a turbo on a sled is who is going to put it on for you. If you think you can do it yourself without and past experience be prepared for a year of learning and issues. Find a seasoned installer. Pay the $1500-$2000 and have fun riding not wrenchin.

Don't forget customer support either. Paul is the best. Paul has gone above and beyond for me and many other guys on a regular basis. The way I look at it is I pay it forward. I respond to an average of 1-2 pm's a day about the Nytro and Pauls kits. This is my way of supporting Paul and his product just as he did for me and still does for me.

Paul is also always looking for an edge. He constantly upgrades and betters his product. Wait until December and what Paul has in store. What he is coming out with is going to change turbo sledding.

As for MCX I have heard good and bad. Every kit has it's issues but in my experience it usually goes back to install.

I dont agree with this statement , there is other complete standalone systems( fuel and timing ) out there:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-win

S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
just curious as to which turbo kit provider has a standalone system offered as a part of their kit. and not just someone who added a standalone after the fact as well as paid at least half as much for it as the initial cost of the turbo kit.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Hey Gunner,

I am curious which other sled turbo builder utilizes a standalone fuel managment system that runs a sled independent of the factory fuel system and does not need the factory fuel system in any way, shape or form.

I am always open to learning new things and if I am incorrect I would love to be educated. That's how we learn.

Thanks,

Kevin

I dont agree with this statement , there is other complete standalone systems( fuel and timing ) out there:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-win

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Hey Gunner,

I am curious which other sled turbo builder utilizes a standalone fuel managment system that runs a sled independent of the factory fuel system and does not need the factory fuel system in any way, shape or form.

I am always open to learning new things and if I am incorrect I would love to be educated. That's how we learn.

Thanks,

Kevin

That is correct , no factory ECU , system has not been used in the mountain , soon too be . Motleyone Pm ed ya .

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Impulse - Paul takes care of ya. Nuff said.

Over the few seasons I've owned my Imptro, I've had many more issues w/ OEM parts and other aftermarket products on my sled than the turbo/kit, FWIW.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
did my IMPULSE apex with the help from paul, always willing to help, top notch product, and yeah from what I heard hes workin on for this year will mix things up a bit!!!

M
Mar 29, 2008
If you are worried about the install then go with impulse. Very detailed instuctions and steps on install. Plus if you have any questions Paul is always around to answer them. Great Guy to deal with not to mention keeping your cash in the states

B
Dec 18, 2007
We have been doing hundreds of kits a year for the last 8 years. Both offer a standalone system and both kits have superior workmanship to anything else on the market. If your worried about customer service I will give you my cell number and will gladly provide any answers that may be needed. I can garauntee a fantastic turn key and ride package with our kit.

Thanks
Landon
MCX North America

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
Thanks for all the input guys. I am still undecided. I am slightly leaning towards MCX because of the extra set of injectors and it not tapping into the stock mapping. I see pros and cons with each system and think it will come down to overall cost when you factor everything. Seats, CR tunnel dump, reinforced header and a few other things to make either kit set-up for the long run. Thanks again for all the input and please keep it coming.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I would go Impulse hands down. My cousin and I built apex's last season and have run flawless. Pauls quality of parts are some of the best Ive seen, and everything is thought out to achieve the best performance. From the surge tank, to standalone, to short charge tube to the intercooler, to the turbo support for the header, all makes for a wrench-free sled. And if you want to stuff the 3" track under it, Paul can make a front cooler to account for it.

From the sounds of it you are building this sled for bigger power, I would even look into Paul's race kit.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
We have been doing hundreds of kits a year for the last 8 years. Both offer a standalone system and both kits have superior workmanship to anything else on the market. If your worried about customer service I will give you my cell number and will gladly provide any answers that may be needed. I can garauntee a fantastic turn key and ride package with our kit.

Thanks
Landon
MCX North America

Landon, what standalone fuel management system are you running??

B
Dec 18, 2007
From our very first Apex EFI kits in 2005/2006 Erik has always run his own standalone system.A lot of people did not realize this was the case with our kits until it recently became a point of focus for the turbo owners. The only downside to our system is that it is not adjustable on the fly. For 98 Percent of turbo owners this is a positive not a negative as very few people a) want to play with adjustments on thier new $5000-$10000 turbo kit and b) are qualified to modify fuel settings. Neil's new "boost it" system will be a nice addition for the guys that are qualified and want to make changes for daily conditions. The fuel settings on our sytems work exceptionally well in a huge range of conditions and have been a hit with our customers for many years now.

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
From our very first Apex EFI kits in 2005/2006 Erik has always run his own standalone system.A lot of people did not realize this was the case with our kits until it recently became a point of focus for the turbo owners. The only downside to our system is that it is not adjustable on the fly. For 98 Percent of turbo owners this is a positive not a negative as very few people a) want to play with adjustments on thier new $5000-$10000 turbo kit and b) are qualified to modify fuel settings. Neil's new "boost it" system will be a nice addition for the guys that are qualified and want to make changes for daily conditions. The fuel settings on our sytems work exceptionally well in a huge range of conditions and have been a hit with our customers for many years now.

I agree that the extra injectors mcx uses is controlled like a standalone(Megasquirt). But it functions like a piggyback. It only adds fuel on boost.

A tru standalone takes over all fuelling and gets parameters from watertemp/inlet temp/MAP etc.. Like Impulse.

Cant see MCX ever offered this.

Last edited:
R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
I agree that the extra injectors mcx uses is controlled like a standalone(Megasquirt). But it functions like a piggyback. It only adds fuel on boost.

A tru standalone takes over all fuelling and gets parameters from watertemp/inlet temp/MAP etc.. Like Impulse.

Cant see MCX ever offered this.

My thoughts exactly, your sled still runs on its stock fuel map until you are on boost (unless you have the knowledge to change such thing, and even then you guys can only change the fueling on boost) , to my understanding, the definition of standalone fuel system would be the unit running completely on itself not utilizing or using any of the stock fuel mapping paramaters....am i wrong in my thinking?? To each his own, i am having fun learning more and more...

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
My thoughts exactly, your sled still runs on its stock fuel map until you are on boost (unless you have the knowledge to change such thing, and even then you guys can only change the fueling on boost) , to my understanding, the definition of standalone fuel system would be the unit running completely on itself not utilizing or using any of the stock fuel mapping paramaters....am i wrong in my thinking?? To each his own, i am having fun learning more and more...

You are absolutly correct. A tru standalone works like you described.

On the Impulse kit though the stock ecu does control idle and ignition. But fueling is all done from the standalone ecu.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
You are absolutly correct. A tru standalone works like you described.

On the Impulse kit though the stock ecu does control idle and ignition. But fueling is all done from the standalone ecu.

What does the stock ECU control at idle , are you saying that it controls the fuel at idle !.

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Having thrown a leg over both systems in various conditions, I would break it down like this:

1. Throttle response - No other system out there has the throttle response and quick spool up of the Impulse system IMO.:first::usa2:

2. Customer service - I have never had better customer service from any company, much less a sledding type business, than the service I have received from Paul. Always a bit of a learning curve with any boosted sled and Paul eases you through that even if it is not related to the turbo itself. Paul's overall knowledge of all things performance related is amazing! :face-icon-small-sho

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
The Impluse kit controls the fuel supply at Idle. The injectors are in no way attached to the stock throttle body harness or the ECU harness. All fuel is controlled via the standalone fuel control box. If there was a draw back in any way on the standalone fuel box that would be it. If the box were to go down you would have to pull the intercooler and plug in the stock injector wires to the larger 750 cc injectors. It would run but not very well on the stock ECU fuel map. It may get you off the mountain though. So there's a word of caution to those running the standalone, don't cut off the stock injector plugs to clean it up in there, just leave em hanging and put some dielectric grease in em.
What does the stock ECU control at idle , are you saying that it controls the fuel at idle !.

Premium Features