• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best place buy new motor?

J
Dec 1, 2007
Layton, UT
Sled is an 04 summit 800. Just got a call from the shop and they told me that the noise must be a crank bearing or rod bearing. I'm exploring options and opinions. The shop told me they'd order a new motor, and it was going to be about $2000 and they're keeping the core. That sounds about $700 high to me. I don't have a problem doing the swap, but I don't know how much to really repair this one. It still starts right up and runs, but has a knock.

Where do I look for a good price on a new motor? Can't seem to find much used out there. Not sure I really want to go used anyway. This sled is my spare, and my other is still running. I was thinking of selling this one, but I am glad it gave me problems before I sold somebody a problem.

Sled is a 144 with boondocker NOS (never used by me), R&M vents, team secondary, holz front end, SLP Powder pros. If I buy a new motor, will I ever get my inventment back? Is it better to sell what's there now?

Anybody have some advise? I live 2 miles from CPI. I don't know how much of this stuff they do, but it's definately coming home from the dealer.

Thanks for any comments.

T
Feb 24, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
My buddy got a brand new ski-doo longblock (bottom end, pistons, jugs) from the dealer for like $1300. If you put a new motor in it and sell it you will loose your butt on it. Id say put a motor in it and keep it or sell it as-is.

C
Dec 3, 2007
W.L., B.C.
When the motor went in my ZX I bought my short block from the local Doo dealer and did the install myself. Of course, this voided any warranty, but I was confident I could do it myself and save the $$'s for the re and re. I felt better buying a rebuild from BRP as I didn't like the idea of chancing a used motor or getting the techs at the stealership to rebuild it.

J
Dec 1, 2007
Layton, UT
Thanks for the comments guys. I found a guy willing to do the bottom end for a little over $600. Do the upper end while I'm in there, and I'm in it for $1000 or so.

Found a dealer on e-bay selling new motors for $2100. Send them your core, and they'll give you $700 back. Probably worth the extra $400 for me to receive it already put together.

If a dealer puts a factory motor in an 04, will they warranty the motor? I didn't think they would (especially with NOS). Even still...they want at least $700 more than I can do it for. If it's not warrantied, that's a lot of labor to drop in a factory motor.

Last edited:

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I believe that there would be a one year warranty on it, but you're right, your NOS will defineatly void any warranty.

D
Mar 2, 2008
La Porte City, IA
Im preety sure if you get a motor from a zx chassis and are going to put it in a rev chassis you will have to have the rev stator and u will not have to reprogram your dess the stator should be it, they are different watts.... Personally been down the rode of buying a used motor and would suggest a new one so you know exactly what u have.. Good luck to ya

J
Dec 1, 2007
Layton, UT
That would be sweet to have a warranty, but I didn't think they'd do it. Don't know that it's worth an extra $700 to me though. I have no problem taking the NOS off. I've never used it anyway. Maybe I can sell it to help with the cost. Thanks again for the opinions guys. I don't ever ride this sled, but someone always seems to (my buddies, their buddies, blah blah blah. Having a real tough time with this decision. I've owned this sled for 4 years, and it has been the most trouble-free of 5 sleds I have owned in the same time. Re-coil came apart once, but that's it till now.

Anybody have an opinion on what it's worth how it sits? I think I listed all it has. Any interest, send me a PM.

C
Dec 3, 2007
W.L., B.C.
I didn't see anyone mention swapping from a ZX to a REV? I said that when I had my '03 ZX, I bought a motor from Doo and intalled it myself. If Doo does the install, they will warranty the motor for a year, but NOS would void said warranty. If you're running the bottle, swap the motor yourself or pay a buddy to do it for you if you don't feel confident. If your carb boots are delaminating even slightly, change em while the motor is out. All electronics from your motor will have to be transfered as well as the head. It's pretty straight forward and if you buy or download a manual, it's a great learning experience.

J
Dec 1, 2007
Layton, UT
Thanks chrispy. I'm not worried about doing the swap. We pulled my bro-in-laws the other day due to burndown (BTW he was the last to ride this one too). I was really just looking to see what people are paying for the new motors. I don't mind throwing money at it, but I have bought a few motors in my day, and $2000 seems outrageous to me. If I can get one for $1400, that sounds a lot better to me. I'll probably sell this sled soon, and realistically probably only get about $3000 for it. That sucks! Thanks everybody.

Jan 28, 2008
White SD
i bought the sled and rode it 31 miles and the crank went out. so the dealer gave my parts and cost and half labor. the total bill was $1892. the dealer price for the shortblock was $1139.

Premium Features