• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Icy Highways and the Value of Life.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Everyone here wants to ride.

I believe everyone here wants to make it home too.

I meet some of the most friendly people on the trail, in the parking lots, at the lodges, even after cresting a hill, in the middle of nowhere.

Polite, friendly, people willing to share anything in their pack with you, tow you out, pull a ski, give a spare plug, let you doink their sister,etc.

But what happens to all these people, when the helmets off and they are behind the wheel of their tow rig?

They change for the worse, they haul *** through the Parking areas, cop a me first attitude, pass vehicles who are doing the posted limit, flash brights/floodlights, swerve at people while passing etc.

I have seen this and worst just in the last two weekends between MP131 and Big Lake, I can just imagine what these knotheads do ALL the way back to their home.

This type of behavior is risky at best under the best of road conditions, now add darkness, icy highways, sprinting moose, blinding wind drifts from semi's and maybe a sled rider/tow rig driver, who may be a little wiped out from riding, maybe a little buzzed from the trail brews, or maybe a little smoked out, etc. and you got a recipe for a really bad time, for a lot of people.

You may take out a completely innocent person in the oncoming lane, it might be someone you know, another forum member, it could be anyone, this state is just so damn "small" when it comes to that.

No one persons life is more important than anothers.

Think about the consequences. At the least you end up in the ditch, at the worst in court defending yourself against manslaughter charges. To gain a few car lengths in fifteen minutes or 20 miles? For what gain? To what end? Who must die for you to make it home a minute and a half earlier?

I have a fourwheel drive truck, fresh winter grade tires, five rows of studs per. Run in 4 high. I got traction. I also got brains. If it's dark, icy, ands "moosey" Im' gonna' exercise caution, and I'm going to do the speed limit ONLY to keep the knuckleheads off my bumper. I will do everything I can to ensure me and mine make it home.

But they gotta' pass, no matter the conditions. So you may have gained a minute or two into Anchorage, and were willing to wreck a very nice tow rig, sled and trailer to do it? If any one comes around that corner in the other lane, your screwed.

People, take some time to consider the consequences, ask what you gain, inventory your priorities. The guy or gal ‘s life that you are gambling with is worth every bit as much as yours, and all of our lives and happiness is worth more than a few extra minutes in a truck, on a dark, icy moose laden highway.

Extend your trail courtesy to the highway, let’s all make it home every time, even if a bit late.

Last edited:
M
Mar 22, 2009
Fairbanks, AK
ak49er, I'm glad you posted this.

I'm primarily a backcountry skier, who happens to be a motorhead, so I see 2 perspectives. BOTH of which, are not happy to have that lifted pickup with the sledbed and a 4 place pass them on the way outta turnagain, or on the Parks in bad vis and icy roads. I'm all for the aforementioned setups, as I primarily drive a lifted dodge with a 2 place. I do not however, pass when it's going to put the people I'm passing's life in danger. It's just plain stupid.

If I know anyone on this forum that drives like that, please stop, I DO want to ride with you another day! We are all in our "happy" place in the mountains, it's a sad day when someone dies on the way out.

:beer;:beer;:beer;

Great Post!

Last year dad and I towed from Anchorage to mm 121 just about everyweekend. We are pushing well over 20,000 lbs with the dually and the rv behind. We always drive under the speed limit. the MPH posted is recommended for the best conditions. rarely do we have the best road conditions in the winter time. You can not stop that weight when a moose or car pulls in front of you. on many occasions we were flashed, passed, or damn near put in the ditch by some parking lot cowboy who wanted to get to the spot first and show he has a bunch of stickers, a lifted truck, and no windshield (stereotyping works). There is no excuse for putting your life or anyone elses in danger. we all preach safety but are we practicing it? and I know many of us have worked on the slope and taking driving courses that educate is in proper ways to drive.

Good day to all and I hope your riding season rocks!!:D

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
I hope lots of my fellow Alaskans read this thread and heed your warnings. The roads are very ICEY under that thin layer of snow. I discovered that this morning while driving to work. I was actually slowing down when I could feel the back end of my truck start to slide alittle side to side, I had no idea the roads were that slick.

The snow is suppose to come down for the next couple of days and the temps with it, lets all be careful out there and THINK before you pass. Riding season has just begun, no need to get in a hurry so you can be the first in the parking lot or on the mountain, it will still be there when you arrive safely.

Last edited:
H
Feb 8, 2008
Very Nice there are allot of people that should read this and take it to heart but the sorry thing is they won't because it isn't the cool thing to do. Those are the guys that will be sitting at home one of these weekends not riding because they got in a hury. I hope there wives have a big list of chores!

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
(edited from earlier)

ok, ok. i'll be nice.

pv

Last edited:
I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
I've had a few very close friends die over the past 3 years in wrecks that were all avoidable. If they would have taken a second to heed information like this, maybe their families would still be enjoying their presence instead of mourning.

Last edited:
H
Feb 7, 2008
Anchorage
X10

Excellent thread!!! Most of us have been guilty of some or all of the dangerous or @ss Ho** behavior at some point. The important thing is to learn from our mistakes and others so we don't have to follow in their foot steps. The people who don't seem to care about others around them or them selves should try this; imagine all of your family and loved ones looking down into your casket... you could have avoided it... how would you feel?

Good post!

A
May 5, 2009
Palmer, Alaska
Almost 20 years ago I learned the hard way that my big bad 4 wheel drive may have more traction, but just because it is in 4 wheel drive it doesn't mean it will stop any quicker. Unfortunatley it took almost a year and 2 trucks to figure this out. :eek: Now with my F250 and enclosed trailer I just pull over and let everyone by. I would like to live for another ride.

G
Mar 8, 2009
Girdwood
Few tips from a truck driver

Glad to see that so many people are paying attention to the importance of driving for the conditions. Myself, I am a professional driver with over 30 years experience who regulary travels throughout Alaska driving semi trucks that are in excess of 125,000lbs and two trailers. So many times I have seen snowmachine vehicles with trailers traveling way to fast for the conditions and know it is just a matter of time. Some pointers I would like to through out there are one, just because your rig has 4-wheel drive doesn't mean to drive at highway speeds in 4-wheel drive. Reason being if you do lose control of your vehicle it is almost imposible to regain control. My sudjestion is you might use it to get started and going up hills but as soon as you are back to cruising take it out of 4-wheel. Second, it is very important that your trailer is loaded correctly. It is a must that you have as much weight forward of the trailer axels as possible otherwise when ever you let off the gas it will try to pass you. Third, just because the highway department just came though and sanded is no excuse to pour the coals to it. Again thanks to all the drivers who are paying attention.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
Well said, I see it every time I drive to Turny. Thanksgiving week there was some fool driving a red Titan with a iq in the back passing people that were doing 55 in crappy road conditions on the twisties before Girdwood. Then we pass him while he's stopped getting gas in Girdwood. Then he does it again to get to Turny first and hurries up to get unloaded and wait for his buddies to get there. After all that effort of passing, we were still riding before him.
Sorry about the rant but dammmm!

I
Nov 26, 2007
It is a must that you have as much weight forward of the trailer axels as possible otherwise when ever you let off the gas it will try to pass you.

I strongly, but respectfully, disagree with that statement. I spent all last winter loading trucks and we always put as much weight over the drivers as we could get away with, but it does not carryover to passenger vehicles. Too much tongue weight will decrease pressure on the front wheels of the tow vehicle causing poor steering characteristics.

Premium Features