• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What makes a good "LADY's SLED" ??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK Ladies, SCHOOL ME here.

In all seriousness, What makes a good "LADY's SLED" ??

I am shopping for a new sled for my Wife and my 17 year old daughter this year.

Both of them are NOVICE riders that seem to enjoy the sport and have expressed a desire to go sledding with me more often this year.

Right now I am thinking of buying the both of them Yamaha Nytros. But I am open to all suggestions....

S

sled*dunk

Dec 3, 2007
Rock Springs, WY
Well, I probably know the least about sleds. I do know that a fairly good rider in our group had a nytro last year and she seemed to have a very hard time with it. I think everyone wanted her to get a new sled this year and I believe she did.
I had an 2006 M6 and loved the stability of it. I felt safe, not tippy, etc. My husband couldn't stand riding on it because his legs are long, etc. but it was fine for me. I don't think he liked the suspension either, but I didn't notice. Then I wanted to learn to carve and my hubsand insisted that I try a Dragon and we ended up getting an '08 700 for me. Now that I am trying to learn these new things, I do feel the Dragon is easier for me to pull over etc. But a few yrs ago I probably would of felt it was "tippy". For me now, I love it. I'm sure some other ladies will have better insight than me.

S
Oct 4, 2009
My Lady's sled

My mom, my sister and I all have M7s and we love them. My older sister is 17 and she doesn't want any different sled. My mom who is not a very good rider manages to keep up with us somewhat because of her M7! I love my sled because it is light enough for me to pull around, but powerful enogh to keep up with the boys. I have had my sled for three years now and I have become a better rider because of it. I know a man who is one of the best riders I have ever seen who hates his Nitro, because of it's tippiness.

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
Makes a difference what kind of riding they're going to do. On or off trail? Mountain riding? Do they expect to become technical riders or just get out and have a comfy, stable ride?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
At this point I don't see either of them ever getting into techical riding at all. Just doesn't seem to be their cup of tea.

I take them up to island park, and they ride the trails and off trail on the flats or gentle sloped ares of the southern part and they both seem to like that just fine.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
At this point I don't see either of them ever getting into techical riding at all. Just doesn't seem to be their cup of tea.

I take them up to island park, and they ride the trails and off trail on the flats or gentle sloped ares of the southern part and they both seem to like that just fine.

My mother and sisters are the same way, they have a blast on the trails/flat areas, and mild slopes. To each their own. :)

I would stay away from the m series, just not much fun on the trails. I have one and my husband has a '10 m8. They are fun sleds, just not up to par with the other brands on the trail.

Now as I haven't been on a nytro I can't comment on them, I would say a rev or xp would be my choice for your gals. Very nice to ride on the trails, seem to put off a bit more heat then the m sleds (which is a plus if you are cold blooded), they have reverse and have an electric start option. Would think a 600 would probably be just right.

Last edited:

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
I thought they all did!!! LOL. Okay, maybe they don't. For your wife and daughter you couldn't go wrong with any of the 600's out there.

Novice is good and that's where we all started right?? But it doesn't take long for some peeps to advance into a good rider after just one season. The best thing you can do with your wife and daughter is buy them something reliable with the power of a 600 at the least. And teach them as much as you can about the sled. The main things that can go wrong and what to do when it happens.;)

Teach them that when in doubt throttle out. Power and momentum can be their best friend. And compliment them a TON!!!!! If they fall off tell them no big deal and laugh about it. Teach them when to bail........This is an important one. Let them know that you have insurance. LOL:D

I love my dragon. It's been fun for the last three winters. A great sled for learning a lot of different skills. You may be amazed with your wife and daughter if they get a sled that fits them and their style. Sled set up is key for everyone from what I know. They will most likely advance and surprise the heck out of you.:p

Compliments build confidence.. And can be expensive from one year to the next. ;):)

Geesh, that was a long post for me.............:eek:

Good luck. BTW, What do you ride???

Last edited:
P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
if you think that its going to be trail riding I would go with a new HCR

Consider this:

The M8 Sno Pro is 22 pounds lighter than the standard M8, and the M8 HCR is lighter than the M8 Sno Pro. The Cat crew has integrated a number of advanced technologies and high-end components to make the already stout M8 a more competitive stock hillclimber and even more potent highland machine.

The sled’s upgraded equipment package includes a lightweight rear suspension
hard durometer PowerClaw track, titanium clutch springs, lightweight Boss seat, adjustable ski stance and titanium front suspension springs.

Just to cover the bases, the M8 is powered by a 794cc high-performance lightweight twin. A batteryless EFI system feeds a 46mm throttle body, and APV exhaust power valve system manages exhaust gasses for maximum performance. In back, the HCR features a lightweight version of the M-series rear suspension.
By using a Fox FLOAT air shock on the rear suspension arm, Cat eliminated the torsion spring setup and shaved off 5.1 pounds of unsprung weight for improved performance.
The design also provides more consistent track tensioning and 18 inches of travel. The front arm of the rear skid carries a Fox Zero Pro gas charged shock to cope with extreme moguls and race conditions. To improve sidehilling and handling, the two rear axle wheels are positioned inside the slide rails. To top it off, a new harder 90-durometer 153- by 15-inch Power Claw track with 2.25-inch paddles wraps around the suspension, providing aggressive traction for competition and the most extreme riding.
the ski stance is adjustable from 42 to 44 inches to accommodate a variety of conditions and mountain challenges. and is highly stable on the trails.

I have an M07 and M8 and the M 1000 I have no problem with any of them on the trails and I have mine at a 39 inch sky stance. this sled, perhaps is the most aggressive mountain sled on the market. Cat claims the backcountry 800 HCR tips the scales at 457 pounds dry,
which would make it one of the lightest sleds in its class:D

Give them a machine that they can ride. and move around I found that the M style has always been best for all the girls we ride with.

Last edited:
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
What makes a good "lady's sled".... one that she picks out and falls in love with. One that makes her days funner and last longer. :cool:

Out of the NEW sleds, you almost can't go wrong. The Nytro takes a bit more strength and endurance due to it's weight and weight placement, therefore it is probably the bringer up the backer of the pack. ;) Out of the other 3, if she gets on it, likes it, buys it and takes the time to learn to ride IT.... she'll fall in love.

Demo.. demo.. demo! I'd use your new powers as the Snowest Forum Guru to be getting DEMO's lined up. :)

T

Trax 2 Treadz

May 14, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
www.trax2treadz.com
Like the others, something in the 600 class of sleds. I would stay away from a Nytro as well, nice sled's but more for experienced riders. Electric start, good hand and thumb warmers, and a sled that offers a bit of protection from the elements. As well take them to the show rooms and have them sit on them, find one that is comfortable. Good luck and have fun.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
As well take them to the show rooms and have them sit on them, find one that is comfortable.

Sorry, but no.(IMO) ALL of them are comfy in the showroom. (IMO) I TOTALLY LOVE the Nytro's feel, in the showroom!!! However, after a 1/2 day of riding one... it makes a difference.

So, please, don't make her base her decision based on showroom appeal.

:rolleyes:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My wifes favorite of five has been the m-8. She is trading it for a HCR this year and is very excited. She rides mostly trails while we play the canyons and hills around. We had a lot of trouble with 600's being shy of power in deep powder situations and she has been alot happier on the 8-s. The 09-10 models are comparable to the 6-s in wieght.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I'll add this christopher, generally the ladies like a shorter track then men(it is easier for them to manuever),and a sled that isnt to tippy but that wont wear them out before noon trying to get it to go where they want it too....and make sure the suspension works for their ability and weight(most sleds are too stiff for the ladies....and for my ladies(X-wife when we rode and my daughter now, electric start if she has any problems pulling it over at all)you need to arrange to take the ladies out and let them ride as many different sled models as possible(preferably in the same area so they can relate each sleds feel and ability)let her pick what feels best to her.....

S
Feb 25, 2009
Prince George, B.C.
What makes a good "lady's sled".... one that she picks out and falls in love with. One that makes her days funner and last longer. :cool:

Out of the NEW sleds, you almost can't go wrong. The Nytro takes a bit more strength and endurance due to it's weight and weight placement, therefore it is probably the bringer up the backer of the pack. ;) Out of the other 3, if she gets on it, likes it, buys it and takes the time to learn to ride IT.... she'll fall in love.

Demo.. demo.. demo! I'd use your new powers as the Snowest Forum Guru to be getting DEMO's lined up. :)

I would have to agree.....there is lots of choice out there, it's whatever your wife feels comfortable on. It can make or break the sport for her. Personally, I love the M series sleds, only because I grew up with Cat and have always been brand loyal. Love, love, love the M series and how they handle on the TRAIL and in the mountains. Anyway, demo as many sleds as you can.....find one you like and stick with it!! Good luck!!

I
Mar 26, 2008
Proctor MN
Like many of the posts before mine, I would agree that you need to go with what she likes and feels comfortable on. The more demos you can do the better. I would try to keep it as light as possible. My husband got me a 600 IQ and I love it, but I loved it more after the lightweight front end was added, and he was able to drop even more weight off the sled. He has had shocks set up for me-- the little things have made a huge difference.
Please do not buy her a sled thinking of it as a backup for you. I am guessing that you ride much different than your wife/daughter. Make sure they feel comfortable in different areas- trails, bowls, climbing.

just my .02

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
While I'm a mountain sled fan, I wouldn't discount a crossover sled for the riding she's gonna do.
I rode a 600 MXZ Renegade 136 for my first season (mountain riding) got around great on it and the ride was far better than my newer summit. Smoother ride, nice cornering, good in some powder, not so good on steep n deep hill climbs. 136 track was a nice size to manouever around. No point in having a mountain sled if it's not getting used for mountain riding, get a sled that's made for what you're going to do. I wouldn't think you'd need any bigger track than a 144. I go EVERYWHERE with my 600 144, well everywhere except really deep powder on really big mountains! It'll feel better for your wife/daughter to have a shorter track and softer suspension.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
My wife has an '07 RMK 600 HO 155 and absolutely loves it. Sleds before it were '90 Indy 500 SKS (old scholl but she went a lot of places on it), '98 VMax 700 XTC 144 (too big and heavy + wide front end made it nearly impossible to sidehill with, '07 Phazer MTX (too tippy, unpridictable, gutless + 14" wide track and steep approach angle rendered it useless off track or set up snow).

Last edited:

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
A lot of Great comments on here.
Something she's comfortable on.
Able to modify and adapt to the rider.
Enough power but not too much. The Polaris 600's are easy to wake up.
Electric Start (you know, carbs. don't start well after tip overs)
And she's gotta get some style points too. New chassis model a must.

Get a good deal on a nice used machine. That way if it's just not her sport you won't take too big of a hit $$$$.

Good Luck, it's a buyers market:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features