• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can I use this helmet as a snowmobile helmet?

R
Hi everybody!

I am new to the snowmobiling community and I am looking for a sweet helmet, I cam across the AFX FX-16 Skull Helmet and was wondering if this was acceptable to use sledding. I have seen it listed for motorcycles and off road, but nothing ever specifically referencing the use for snowmobiling. Please see the attached picture and link for more details.
afx_fx16_skull_helmet_white.jpg

http://www.jspowersports.com/afx_fx16_street_motorcycle_helmets.htm

Thanks for your help!

D
Nov 27, 2007
Can you? Maybe. Should you? No.

Use a moto style helmet with a set of goggles. Klim has an awesome helmet, but it is at the upper end of the price range. Fly makes helmets that are cheaper. Scott and 509 both sell great snowmobile goggles.

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
I would look for one that was designed for use in the colder temps. Fogging is a real problem with lenses, even ones that are designed for colder temps. Also it would probably need to work with some kind of breathe deflector. I changed from a full face helmet to a motorcross style helmet this last winter due to the fogging problems with the full face helmet.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
one like shwees is what you want. even i would wear that pink thing. it looks bad *** shwee

N
Nov 27, 2007
Kapowsin, WA
Full face helmets are fine but stick with one designed for sleds (breathbox, thermal lense, vents, etc).
I prefer an MX with quick straps but I have friends that like the full face.

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
hahaha you guys don't ride hard enough, all your helmets are pretty and sh*t :rolleyes: I have had 3 helmets.........not a single 1 with a visor left, cracks, scrapes........

1 Thor, 1 Troy Lee, and a TOBE :face-icon-small-blu 2 totaled sleds and 1 parted out with each helmet

But i'd shy away from that sort of a helmet. MX helmets work great

R
So I would want something more like this?
2008_AFX_FX-18_Skull_Helmet_White_S.jpg

And then get a pair of goggles that goes with it? I have been riding on snowmobiles before and I don't particularly like the shields...I can't breathe in them...I have a hard time even sleeping with a blanket over my head. I thought of going with a motocross style helmet but worried about being cold...I assume having a face mask and goggles is warm enough?

Thanks everybody! You're all a big help!

R

S

spook222

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 28, 2008
eastern washington
muuuuch better, the 509 goggles cover enough of your face that I've never felt the need for a face mask, even in minus temps, you'll be way happy with the mx style vs the other

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
face mask and MX helmet with good fitting googles and the only time I get cold is when i cant feel the rest of my body... they work good if they all fit together fine.

i really like my dragon googles to, they fit the helmet nice. and are well priced. I got my lady a fly helment and it fits really well compared to most others, looks SICK and is plenty warm for her cold arse as well! price wasnt half bad either at a local place!

I
Nov 26, 2007
Personally I like a no fog mask, never have to take off the goggles whether sitting and drinking a brew or digging out a skidoo

Premium Features