• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lost RPMS on Hard pack icy Trail(Caused By Heat?)

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Was running my 02 edge 800 last weekend and lost a couple hundred R's on a hard packed ice trail. It happen while I was WOT could heat of caused this. I'm not running scratchers(will next time) After I backed off and ran a little slower seemed to rev back up fine at WOT just fine, unless I held it there for a while. Does this machine have a temp sensor that shuts down spark or does the sensor just kick a light on. (I know I don't Det Sensor on it)

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Could be that the hyfax was heating up due to lack of snow lubrication between the track clips and the hyfax.
The hyfax (plastic) gets hot and sticks to the clips.
Scratchers would definitely help in poor snow and hard packed conditions.
$0.02 :face-icon-small-win

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
x2...sounds like you just got your hyfax too hot and they got sticky. Look at the metal clips in your track. I bet they now have "plastic" welded to them. Try to jump off the trail from time to time and keep your track lubed until you get your scratchers on....then use them!

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Seemed more motor than track drag. Almost like it was cutting out just a little bit (More of a sputer than a miss) Just didn't know if this was a symptom
of overheating a little. My buddy said his machine heated up to about 160F on the same strip.

Nov 20, 2008
YAKIMA, WA
i had the same problem last time i went out. i had ice scratchers on my sled and there was snow in the track. sometimes it would rev out other times it would be a bit lower in the rpms under WOT. My guess would be that it got a little hot. I could be wrong though.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If the coolant was getting too hot it will retard the ignition....will continue until it hardly runs if it gets hot enough.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Could be that the hyfax was heating up due to lack of snow lubrication between the track clips and the hyfax.
The hyfax (plastic) gets hot and sticks to the clips.
Scratchers would definitely help in poor snow and hard packed conditions.
$0.02 :face-icon-small-win

Yep, that or belt/clutch heat is where i'd start.

R
Jan 26, 2009
Spokane, WA
Yea mine did that too when I ran it on hard packed trails. IT sucks the machine will start cuttin out and a temp light will come on Mine would only run about 6000 rpm and sounded like s***

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Yep, you were overheating your motor. The electronic limp mode will kick in as you have described for a bit and then the temp light will come on. Then it will _really_ go in to limp mode.

Premium Features