• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Help! Montana Area Closures, comments needed!

Hey everyone, I hope this is the appropriate area to post this in. We could use a little help here. A new travel plan is under consideration in the Helena National Forest and has many closures in areas that many of us use. We would hate to see this happen. Here is some info. The deadline for comments is 15 Jan 09.

If you would like to leave a comment I have put up a web page to help the process. It contains the info listed below and a comments document. Made it about as easy as I can. Feel free to pass this on to anyone that might like to comment. http://www.helenasnodrifters.org/dividetravelplancomments

Thanks,
JP
-----------------------------------
The Helena National Forest has released their starting travel plan proposal for the Divide project area. The Divide Area includes approximately 155,480 acres of public land located in Lewis & Clark and Powell Counties. The project area includes the Black Mountain, Dog Creek, Hope Creek, Tenmile Creek, Little Blackfoot River and Bison Mountain Area.

Motorized recreationists would lose many recreational opportunities under the starting proposal. Your comments in support of a pro-recreation alternative are needed to support a reasonable level of OHV use in the Helena National Forest.

Two example comment letters (3 page and 23 page versions posted in the left column of the web page) are attached for your review and use. Be sure to replace the yellow highlighted sections with your information. Feel free to delete or add points to one of these example documents and submit it HNF. Be polite but let them know why you think use of the forest for OHV recreation is reasonable and why there should not be massive motorized closures under the Divide travel plan.

Mail written comments to:
Helena Ranger District
2001 Poplar
Helena, MT 59601

Email comments to:
comments-northern-helena@fs.fed.us

Large color maps can be viewed and/or downloaded from the Helena National Forest webpage at http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/helena/projects/divide_travel

Comments should be postmarked, e-mailed, or faxed by January 15, 2009.

Thank you for getting involved and supporting our motorized recreational opportunities in Montana.

Action Committee
Capital Trail Vehicle Association (CTVA)
P.O. Box 5295
Helena, MT 59604-5295
CTVA_Action@q.com
--------------------------------------------------------------

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I will write up a response right after the New Year. I will also get this info to son #1 who attends Carroll so he can get it around to the right folks there. Hope it comes out well for ya. EW

BTW, Any Indian tribes who use the proposed closure areas for things like hunting, berry picking, mushrooms, firewood, gathering, and recreation. Maintaining these traditionsal uses and access can be a big player in these things. Need to get comments from tribal members (especially elders) if so, best bet is a resolution from tribal council if appropriate,

D
Nov 27, 2007
People are probably too busy talking about avalanches to send a comment. Its a much stronger church than the land use church

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
We are currently dealing with this issue in our area. There is a revised White River National Forest plan that is quickly trying to eliminate snowmobiling areas. The best thing you can do is be part of a group. A single voice is very laime in this case and a group, or snowmobile club caries more weight. Our snowmobile club is part of the Colorado Snowmobile Association and they are doing battle to keep our riding areas open. They have hired a representive (I think he might be a lawyer) to cordinate the plan and explain why we want these areas kept open. Also keep in mind that complaining is not the best course of action. Provide useful input to help with the decision. It is a tough battle and it won't end this year.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Has any one researched the possibility of some sort of discrimination case/lawsuit either against the USFS or these organizations who are involved with these land closures? Just trying to understand the legal boundries of these matters.

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
people should write in and comment but some one should get the big 4 involved and get them to speak up also. the whole snowmobile industry should be concerned about land closures as much if not more than us! if there isnt any land to ride on no one will be buying their products. they have the money to atleast donate to an org. like SAWS or something! join a club or join and org. people and speak up!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I've been saying that for awhile and even wrote a couple asking why they don't. They just send me to the donations form.
Maybe when they start losing sales and put 2 and 2 together that it's because of lack of riding areas....well by then it'll be too late so they probably still won't donate.

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
Even after checking out the maps I don't know the area so it's hard to give any sort of detailed objection, I will do the best I can and get one in..

Thanks to everyone that has commented on this thread or wrote in. I highly recommend EVERYONE join SAWS and/or a club near you. I would recommend joining multiple clubs in your area...ATV, snowmobile, motorcycle, etc... I have a feeling things are just going to get worse. Thanks again.

Premium Features