• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low Oil Light 17 MC

B
Dec 12, 2014
A few weeks ago was riding in Colorado and it was a deep day and had to use my gas caddy to fill fuel. Before I ride I always fill the oil up to the recommended amount, maybe even just a tad more. About 7 miles away from the parking lot on the way back my low oil light came on. Was wondering if anyone knew how far you can safely drive with the low oil light on before damage occurs. Sled pulls and starts just like it did before but its been on the back of my mind if i should be concerned.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
the flipper sometimes gets burs on it and don't work correctly, you are more then likely safe just need to replace the sensor or file the burs off

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I rode 20+ miles with the light flashing and steady on sometimes.
Still had some oil left when i got home, just well below the sight glass.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Whenever mine comes on, I just start banging into things really hard and it goes off.

Gotta move that flapper ya know.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Couple weeks ago I had it flashing at me shortly before the ride out to the truck. 10 mile trail ride and some bouncing around along the way.
I wanted to see how low it really was, so I filled it. It took exactly 2 quarts. I did fill the fuel after with 6.3 gallons but that's not going to prove anything since the oil tank wasnt completely full prior to that ride. It was at the top of the sight glass though.
So, with blinking oil light, mine needed 2 quarts to be filled. I'm guessing I had more than a quart in there when I loaded it on the truck and it was below the sight glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
If you really run out of oil, the motor will shut down. Did this to me one time, low oil warning didn't come on,not sure if the sensor was stuck, or what, took a while to figure out was wrong. We siphoned in some oil from another sled and rode out.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
My wifes '15 HCR sat upside down for a few minutes and the oil light stayed on for about 30 minutes after we started it back up and rode it. Could see the oil was over half full so figured it was just a sensor or something. Went off and never came back on. From what I understand, can go for tank of fuel approximately once the oil light comes on

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Your owner's manual probably says how far you can go when low oil light comes on.

My 2010 M8 manual says mine is good for 1 tank of fuel after the light comes on.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
This is good to know, had my oil light come on once this year on one of our better rides. Guess I had nothing to worry about considering my fuel light was flashing as well. woulda been well outta gas first

Premium Features