• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 limited case guard?

Rock Hound

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Central Mn
I did a 17 limited drop case on my 14 and put a TKI belt drive on it. My question is anyone making a better case guard then the cat plastic one?

I'm thinking a nice aluminum one.

PM me or post here if you know of something.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
plastic is good, it slides

Aluminum sticks.

If you want something burlier maybe you could machine something out of a block of uhmw.

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
I made one for my 15 cause I didn't see any I liked. I'm contemplating doing a 17mc case on my 15 and was concerned about the same thing. If someone has a plastic one laying around I could get some dimensions off of I'd gladly make a few up. My dealer doesn't have any in stock at the moment. I waterjetted the one for my 15 out of aluminum and bent it up and welded a few stiffeners in it and it works great. It's takes a few good hits and still looks good.

On a side note I was also thinking about machining one out of some impact resistant plastic like uhmw

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
plastic is good, it slides

Aluminum sticks.

If you want something burlier maybe you could machine something out of a block of uhmw.

I've been in the process of typing up my reply cause I'm at work and I'm glad to see someone's on the same page as me. I made skid plates for my ktm and I made them out of sheets of uhmw. Stuff takes a beating and you can slide right over logs and anything else you hit.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've been in the process of typing up my reply cause I'm at work and I'm glad to see someone's on the same page as me. I made skid plates for my ktm and I made them out of sheets of uhmw. Stuff takes a beating and you can slide right over logs and anything else you hit.

Yeah I'm about to cut a piece to put over the front of my bumper.

If you get a setup going for a machined block, keep me posted. I'd be interested as well. I got everything to drop my case but like everyone else is finding out, the stock guards are backordered. Kinda makes me rethink dropping the case if everyone with 17s are killing these things ;)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I put the 2017 brake and chain case guards on my 2015 after adding the longer chain case and belt drive. So far, so good. I hit some stuff really hard this past weekend and broke the cast aluminum on the idler on the outer side of the right rail. Luckily, it didn't damage the rail but, both brake and chain case guards held up well.

I think the reason they are back ordered isn't that people are taking them out on stumps and rocks, with the success of the 2017 Mountain Cat, it's the sheer number of extended chain case kits that have been sold that I believe drove the demand for the guards higher than the supply.

Rock Hound

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Central Mn
I total agree that plastic slides thru the snow better then aluminum but--

I also know that the belt on the pulley is about as tough as a shop rag--

Figured I would ask before making something.

Premium Features