• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Axys Improvement Wish List

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I wonder if you could dump the tunnel coolers all together and just use the SKS style bulkhead cooler? Any where you put heat is going to melt snow then create ice. If you can remove heat from the tunnel it will eliminate the wet mess and ice build up. Keep the tunnel cold and snow will fall right off. Put the heat where the track can physically clear the icing snow. Bulkhead coolers have worked well for a long time. How much cooling are the sleds actually getting from the tunnel? My sled and my ride partners sleds all have cooling issues, when riding in marginal snow conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I definitely agree! I live in northern Wisconsin and do a lot of riding in the UP and I'd love to see a 146" PRO. I have a 17 PRO 155 now and 155's are nice for that one or two trips out west every year but they're just a little too much around here. I almost enjoy riding my dads 144 RMK more when I'm riding in WI or the UP. 5 years ago or so I had a 2010 Assault 146" and loved it just because it was a little shorter but still had the premium features.

Same for AK. Agreed I had a 2010 Assault 146, upgrade to 2014 Assault 155. I liked the 146 better 80% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Well said geo!

Polaris Industries:

1/ Please put some serious thought into offering true entry level(read entry level priced as well!) mountain capable snowmobile/s.

2/ Please take note of the Q.C. issues mentioned throughout this thread & address accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Start reversing the oversupply trend that Jaynelson pointed out. It's killing the sport due to equity loss that has been pointed out. Present economics should not be ignored if you plan for a stronger future.

A used sled should not be looked at like a STD by your dealers. Start training them that a controlled supply of quality used units in every price range will give their sales team a chance to gain a customer that may have otherwise walked out with cash still in their pockets.
Possibly a program that allows a percentage of trade value to be continued on at the floor financing rate may help this along.

Start attracting new to the sport riders or possibly returning enthusiasts with more than just vids, poster boys and financing on your flagships. Offer technologically advanced entry level sleds with at least two lower priced alternatives below.
An example may be a complete CF fan cooled sled with Fox EVO r's, 141x2.4" and a weight of 332 lbs (you can throw a 600 in after a couple of years of proving and,,, you've been sitting on the tech for way too long) at say $9999.
Then one step below is the "mixed race" model with aluminum sprinkled with CF and premium WE's for $7999, followed up by the all aluminum one with generic WE's for $7299.

You know, bring back a "family-that-rides-hard-together" model of sledding again, instead of offering only "everybody-wants-what-Burant-rides" model.
Pa gets the CF model for a while. The kids dream of getting a ride on it one day while they argue who takes Mom's sled that day. And Mom,,, well she's just happy to see everyone together and is fine with whatever is left over (sexist disclaimer lol).

I've seen too many friends drop out of the sport because of a family growing. Taking a 174" 800 monster out with a kitty kat and a Phazer is not really a fun for all family plan because the trading up plan is too large in steps and the sled capabilities are too far apart.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My wish is to ride one this month. Probably not going to happen. :)

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
What sucks is when I had way less money but less bills I could afford a sled. Now they have gotten so spendy anybody with a family and normal job can't hardly afford one. I haven't gone out in 6 years because everything has got to expensive. I miss it big time was the most fun thing I have ever done. I did get to go once last year but I rented a rmk 600 was just part of a day of ridding too. Just wish wages could go up as fast as cost of living. If I worked enough to afford to go I wouldn't have time to go or have family time either.

brandriet

Premium Member
Jul 19, 2011
South Dakota
This has nothing to do with 2018 sleds but why doesn't Polaris offer an avalanche safety course similar to BRP? ANYONE can get into a lot of danger with these new sleds. They can simply go anywhere. I try to attend a brp avalanche course each year, and thousands of dollars are spent at the BRP dealers those nights whether it's on new gear or buying new sled. Just don't understand why the Polaris marketing team wouldn't jump on a opportunity like that. Easy money and makes the sport safer for everyone!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I noticed and agreed with the "stop forcing sleds down the dealers throats" comments.
Most of us do want a profitable thriving local dealer, and overstocking is not conducive profit margins.

Now to us customers, this is a two way street. Support your local dealers. Stop driving 200 miles to save $500! That does not make sense!

Finally to the dealers, quit trying to sell outside of an area that you can service!
You fuchers are what is ruining sled values and hurting the small town dealers!

I regularly see eastern MN dealers marketing their product here in SD and they know full well someone else is going to have to try to keep that customer serviced. They view it as a quick buck with zero after the sale responsibility!

Don't support these assclowns!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The sleds my kids ride are almost 25 years old. Those sleds are getting harder to find so fewer opportunities for kids to ride will affect future sales.

Anyone taking bets on when the first $20,000 sled hits the showroom floor? I'm betting it is not very far off.

Took my daughter out for New Years Eve ride and she had a blast on her 440 SKS. I hopped on and took it up a minor hill through some reprod. Wow, almost forget how much fun it was to "have" to ride it instead of just sitting on the seat and letting the sled launch you up the hill.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Only if they can pull weight somewhere else, like the can, intake, fuel cell, track, etc., will they add or change anything that's heavier, and it will be minimal and offset.

I'd venture a guess that they are working on a 399lb dry 800 RMK 155 version, first. 3.5 pitch Camo? Lightweight exhaust? Lighter P-85? All JMHO, of course, but marketing a flick-a-light has sold alotta RMKs. They ain't gonna veer, yet, especially without any real sales competition from ACAT and Y, and just doo pushing them next year. Not saying most of us would agree, but this is a business, first, and unit sales rule.

I believe that the muffler on the AXYS was intentionally made heavier... brilliant, if true, from a marketing perspective... as they can be the first sled to "Break the 400 lb barrier" with something that does not raise their costs... and in the shadow of the 850 release from BRP... would certainly make sales easier on an already popular chassis.

Going with a lighter track, seat and some other small items will make this possible IMO... and be a boon in sales for what will be the 3rd year of a 5-6 year chassis run.

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
Funny reading through this thread makes me want to keep my SC 15 rmk800 163.As I have painted tunnel, side anyway, clicker shocks, bulk head cooler,reliable chain case.Best of all its robust ,fun and reliable and was only 12k CDN fund's.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
1. Real electrical connectors. so many stupid issues related to this. I would not buy a 2k mile plus axys just due to this.
2. the option of a functional tether, something like the DOO RF ones or pro armor style. The little red things are a joke
3. reduce the tail cut on the rail so it doesnt wear on the track so bad.
4. 3.5 pitch track options would be really cool and could help a sub 400 push.
5. Just working on overall fit and finish. The panel snaps, etc that hold panels together and to the frame get loose and start falling apart a lot faster then any other sled.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
After seeing burandt's 355 lb. full mod sled I would think 380 lbs. would be possible by a manufacturer.

T
Dec 14, 2012
SW MN
Ever since Polaris bought out Timbersled ive been waiting to see if they would incorporate the mtn tamer skid into a stock sled. but who knows if that will ever happen:face-icon-small-sad

Premium Features