• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pistons mushroomed

B

bustamove

Oct 31, 2010
so over the summer ive been in deep thought.... last year just before the season i tore down my top end to check out the pistons as ive been thru hell with this sled....but before i did, the exhaust side looked melted like it was running lean or something thru the exhaust port. dealer thinks i was detonating, so gave me some race gas to try out... the plugs were always a dark coco brown even at WOT then instant shut down....

now the pistons have a lip on the exhaust side like mushroomed... while tuning my clutching last year i noticed i was max rpm of 7900-8 which i didn't think much of it at the time due to running with a bunch of 800(normal). after careful reading i found that the MAX these engine should be running is more like 7650 which i brought the rpms way down....

so my theory is that i over revved causing the pistons to mushroom on the top is that possible? OR do i still need to add fuel? i do have the slp tune on the ecu.

im going to put a new set of pistons in this year, i just wanna eliminate the problem first... i don't think it has gotten any worse since i lowered the rpms.... but its hard to tell. my pics from last year were ****.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
mine run 7800-7900 and don't mushroom pistons.

Premium Features