• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the right age???

V

Vinnee

Dec 24, 2010
My eight year olds Christmas present.... I think he's gonna like it..... Shhhhhh ;-

yreqygu8.jpg

ju3e3yde.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356309799.845613.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356310450.447050.jpg

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
That sounds good. I was just worried about brakes/gas with mittens. I guess at 3 years old they aren't going to be two-fingering the brake, lol.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Oh hells yah, I am expecting a Corey Davis whip within the day!
True, brakes are a bit silly on these things. I think the analogy that I used when I bought the last one and we test ran it was that it sounds like a cat being tortured when the track spins, lol.

S
Aug 11, 2010
Wisconsin
Balance between too much and enough?

My dad started me on a 87 jag 340 when I was 11. I could start it and flip it over by myself. I didn't have to wait for him. I was independent even when he was right there. My personal thoughts on a 8-11 year old on a 700 would pose some questions. Can my child start it? When he rolls it and he will, can he flip it up or figure it out on his own? These are Tasks that need to be done on a hill or in a ditch when out with his/ her pals. I'm new to mountain riding because I live in WI, so I'd be cautious and giving my 8 yr old a 6 or 700. For me, time will tell. For all of you, I hope your kids enjoy riding as much as I have with my dad. Like stated above in a post. Make it fun. It's all about them when their young.:face-icon-small-hap

V

Vinnee

Dec 24, 2010
My personal thoughts on a 8-11 year old on a 700 would pose some questions. Can my child start it? When he rolls it and he will, can he flip it up or figure it out on his own? These are Tasks that need to be done on a hill or in a ditch when out with his/ her pals. I'm new to mountain riding because I live in WI, so I'd be cautious and giving my 8 yr old a 6 or 700

Sledandsnow, you bring up some interesting and very real issues about kids on the mountain. There's no two ways about it, those darn things (sleds) are heavy!! If the terrain and CC's of the sled aren't bad enough, your sled can squish you!! These are all things that, quite frankly, scare the hell out of me!! My wife and I have discussed this deeply. If you play the situation forward and one of your kids does get seriously injured, I don't know if I could forgive myself. On the contrary, there are extreme risks with all that we do now days. Most the time the greatest risk is simply the fact that we are not in control of most dangers that lay ahead for our kids. The world is becoming an ever increasing danger zone for our children. We choose to protect them by keeping them outdoors with a bow/arrow or handle bars in their hands as well as participating in organized sports.

Your absolutely correct, they are not going to pick that sled back up by themselves. And if they get underneath it, their probably not getting out on their own. However, I could say the same thing for my wife at times, and I watched her ride her sled out of drainage in Revelstoke last year that two very experienced riders walked (as in foot) out of. Brute strength is not her thing. But yet she has turned into one heck of a rider. For that matter, I ended up in a tree well a couple years ago that could have killed me if not for a friend that was there.

So at all levels, wether it be the kids, couples or just the dudes, you must have a plan when you leave the truck. Your group (family) has to stick to those rules regardless. If someone takes off on there own and disappears for a while, they are out of the group! Simple as that! They are putting themselves in danger, which in turn puts you in danger! I have seen some very crazy things on the mountain the past few years, and all involving friends that were in a solid riding group that had rules and stuck by them. Because of this, everyone came out alive. But they were close calls none the less.

So when it comes to the kids. Bottom line is, they don't get out of our site! It's a huge sacrifice for my wife and I. We lose a ton of riding time watching our kids. But then again, what part of parenting is not a sacrifice. Regardless of age, safety must be the number one priority, or tragedy will strike in a big way. Our friends (Coyote Girl) have dubbed the experience "The Duckling Ride". Mom in the front that stops and points out every hazard and educates the kids on how to keep out of trouble. And Dad brings up the rear as to protect and oversee (respond) to any potential issues. We look like a giant inch worm headed into the forest, bunching up and then stretching back out. Bunching up and then........

With all that said, I certainly share your concerns! Truth be told, sometimes I wish we could just make-em all eighteen and self sufficient. But I'm not quite sure I would worry any less??

Cheers, Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Yup, chase raced anch and kenai city series last year

3rd out of 7 in kenai and 9th out of 24 at kincaid t 3 yrs old!!

He definatly uses the brakes and the 120 is the perfect bike for them To learn the throt/brake/steering mand pay attention to whats in front of you! We put hand warmers on chases!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 2

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I couldn't agree with Vinee more

As the post title says, I couldn't agree with Vinnee's post any more.
I am blessed to know him well, and call him a wonderful friend. I've seen him actually PARENT his children (he and his wife have 4 children). While I am not a parent myself (I hope to be someday) I am continually impressed with the effort and time he invests in his children. He is definitely an advocate for his kids, and not their 'friend'. He establishes boundaries, communicates them, and enforces them. They all know how much he loves them because of the time he spends with them all. I'm not trying to say he's perfect, but most folks could take a lot of lessons away from spending time with that man and his family. And I admire the heck out of him for his devotion to the roles of husband and father.

The bottom line, is this children are doing things, and not just sitting in front of video games or a TV, and he is a huge part of all of that. Being exposed to things that can be enjoyable, but can also be dangerous is actually a tremendous series of lessons. It helps to teach children things like: Consequences for actions, to think ahead, to communicate, to problem solve, to be active, and (possible greatest of all), to not be ruled by fear. We all have fear, sure, without fear, there is no courage, but when we do things in spite of fear, we conquer our fears, and that translates to huge lessons in other areas of life.

I was blessed to be raised in a rural area, and I was on a three-wheeler and dirt bikes from the time I was 5. I fully believe a helmet saved my life several times. But, the important thing, is I was ALWAYS WEARING the helmet. There were basic safety rules, and those rules were non-negotiable.

Not trying to be a stinker or muddle the waters, but after watching how Vinnee and his wife involve their kids, I'm the worlds biggest fan of taking your kids with you. (but yes, adults need adult rides too)

Taking your kids riding early is just fine if you've done a proper job of establishing communication, expectations and consequences: You need to talk to them in a way they understand, they need to listen to you, and make sure they understand what you are explaining, and then they need to follow those directions. Great life lessons!!!!

Keep it up, and get your kiddos out in the woods!

Respectfully,
PE

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Some of my best memories are with my dad out biking/sledding as a kid. Awesome to see the investment you all are putting into your children.

My boy is 5.5 months old. he cant sit up yet, but he can stand up holding on to things.. WTF? haha I can tell he will walk before he crawls.

I plan to have him on a strider bike a month or two after he is walking well (probably 1 year old). By the age of 2 I plan on having him riding 120s and 50 dirt bikes. 4 is the minimum age limit for racing and we are gunning for that. It all depends on his development of course, but IMO its all about the time investment you put into your kids. Its the time you spend with them, developing them, teaching them, molding them into men and women who make a difference in the world. That also means giving up my own hobbies and activities. Im so excited i cant wait! haha

V

Vinnee

Dec 24, 2010
Phatty,

My kids cherish the group pic they have of you and them at the Puyallup snow-show this past year. It wasn't until this past snow-show that I realized how much my kids had been paying attention. They watch your movies (and all the others) and were excited to be able to get to meet you. As well as Burandt, Floyd and Moreshead. I hope you pro's know that whether you like it or not, you are not just influential and inspirational to adults, your influencing our kids as well.

Keep up the good work! :)

Looks like you are really enjoying being a Dad....

I look forward to watching your son grow-up on a snowmobile.

J Rich.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Phatty,

My kids cherish the group pic they have of you and them at the Puyallup snow-show this past year. It wasn't until this past snow-show that I realized how much my kids had been paying attention. They watch your movies (and all the others) and were excited to be able to get to meet you. As well as Burandt, Floyd and Moreshead. I hope you pro's know that whether you like it or not, you are not just influential and inspirational to adults, your influencing our kids as well.

Keep up the good work! :)

Looks like you are really enjoying being a Dad....

I look forward to watching your son grow-up on a snowmobile.

J Rich.

Its all about the kids! Would for sure take time to talk to anyone of them. Awesome family and more than happy to take photos with them anytime! Who knows maybe someday we will get to go for a ride with them!

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
I just read this thread start to finish and while reading Vinnee's responses it was like dejavue(sp). All I can say is if you are struggling in this area with kids like I have for the last six years is read Vinnee's replies twice. Very well written and good advise. My son has ridden sled and dirt bike since 3. I also purchased my son for his B-day/Christmas last year when he turned 8 an M6 141. The greatest thing about buying him the sled was we worked all that fall cutting trees on my days off out of a drainage ditch and we made enough money to pay for 90 percent of the snowmobile.

I spent countless hours trying to figure what machine to buy and what would be best. I always ran into the weight issue. My son at 8 was 55 pounds and 60 now at age 9. Shy of contacting one of the premier builders and having them build a 600cc/200lbs mod sled for 25,000 to 30,000 grand at the cheapest I went with what I did. My son has learned to alter his riding style to adapt to the machine. I also was worried about parts on a mod sled if it breaks down on you when you are in the mountains.

The biggest thing I have learned is it is all my responsibility to set my son now 9 and daughter 13 up to be safe, learn to ride the right way and to have fun. When starting them on any new machine I go to the largest open area I can with my wife and I riding our own machine. We then go a very short distance and stop. I then just increase the distance the more we ride until they are completely comfortable. I then sit on my sled and watch them ride on their own. I would feel comfortable with my son on any machine they make. My daughter is much more laid back and just wants a machine that handles nice and is smooth and still has plenty of power.

This is what I have never understood. I have M1000 and it is geared down with max speed around 65 to 70. I see people putting their kids on a lot of sleds in the 500 to 600 cc range that will do 80 to 100 mph. The smaller sleds will go just as fast or faster it just takes longer to get there. It boils down to what Vinnee was getting at. They need to know throttle and brake control. They also need to be taught to not drive out of control or their ability.

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
We started all of our kids out riding two up with us and as soon as they were tall enough that their helmets started bashing our face we moved them to their own 340's then up to 550's with 136 x 2 tracks. Now I have two grandkids age 8 and 10 with the 340's and a 4 year old begging for his own. I'll move the 10 year old up next year and the 4 year old will get the hand-me-down. I moved my own kids up a little faster because they rode more often. Don't get to take the grandkids out as much so they aren't progressing as fast. It really all depends on the kid.

Premium Features