• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoScoot Long Track mod

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Volcano, looks great. I'm curious to hear from either of you before I mount mine up if there's much loss of top end speed. I want my son to be able to keep up with us on the trails in the 25-30 mph range.

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Volcano, did you just run the track through a table saw or something to trim the track to width? That's kind of what I was planning, but wanted to make sure it would work first.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The guy that owns the snow scoot has a HD table saw, 220 volt 3 Hp so it worked great. We set the blade to cut just up to the outer drive lugs, that leaves a 12" track.

I have a porting tool for the track if it needs a limper track. Another guy I ride with has a performance shop and has offered to port the motor if we think it needs it. The weather man is making promises so maybe we can get it up and try it out before too long to know if it needs more power. I'm also hoping the clutches being freshened up helps pull the track with a lighter jockey on it.

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Cool. We're waiting on promises from the weather guy here too. I bought our Scoot and rebuilt the carb, installed a new battery and air filter, and as mentioned, will be rebuilding the clutches this week. I found a YZ-80 stainless exhaust pipe on eBay for $20, so we fabricated a new mount to install the new pipe. It sounds good, and feels like it opened up a bit too. Can't wait to get our little guys out on the snow with it. Keep the pics and updates coming. Thanks!

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Any updates on your build Utah340six? I got the skid all torn down, and drivers ordered. Just need to find a track. Would love to see some more pictures of how you mounted the Phazer skid.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I used the Yamaha small idlers to hold the track up. I shortened their original shaft, then used the rear scissor piece for donor brackets. I had a piece of pipe that was the exact match for ID as the suspension cross tube OD, so I ripped it in half and mounted the wheel support legs to it. For now, I am only using 2 hose clamps to hold the bracket on and it seems plenty stout. I could put small muffler clamps on it if I thought it needed more, but it hasn't moved with quite a bit of force.

On the Mountain Max skid, there was a track idler bracket that was built to squeeze a steel bracket between it and the rail. I used this intentional gap to pinch the angle iron that I made the rear spring retainer attach to. Knowing kids, I figured I better leave as many wheels under it as possible, so I have 4 bogey's and the rears.

I also installed grease zerks in both pivot shafts. The rear bump stops weren't doing any good, so I moved them forward in case they were needed.

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Idler wheels?

I used the Yamaha small idlers to hold the track up. I shortened their original shaft, then used the rear scissor piece for donor brackets. I had a piece of pipe that was the exact match for ID as the suspension cross tube OD, so I ripped it in half and mounted the wheel support legs to it. For now, I am only using 2 hose clamps to hold the bracket on and it seems plenty stout. I could put small muffler clamps on it if I thought it needed more, but it hasn't moved with quite a bit of force.

On the Mountain Max skid, there was a track idler bracket that was built to squeeze a steel bracket between it and the rail. I used this intentional gap to pinch the angle iron that I made the rear spring retainer attach to. Knowing kids, I figured I better leave as many wheels under it as possible, so I have 4 bogey's and the rears.

I also installed grease zerks in both pivot shafts. The rear bump stops weren't doing any good, so I moved them forward in case they were needed.

Are the top idler wheels the ones off of a Yamaha 700 Mountain Max? Looking for smaller upper wheels for our Scoots & there was some info on the wheels off of the Mountain Max before & I was wondering if that first picture was them..... The way things are going the Scoots will be around for a long time......keep building!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Yes, those are from a M Max 700, they look like the same ones on Utah's suspension picture. Cut the stock small wheel shaft to the length I wanted, cut it down for the bearing, then drilled and re-tapped the end for a bolt.

I'll have some more pictures for you later today! :face-icon-small-hap

Pretty fun project as it will likely get used for the next 5 years for 2 kids. I imagine the older kids will battle for turns on it too.

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
Any updates on your build Utah340six? I got the skid all torn down, and drivers ordered. Just need to find a track. Would love to see some more pictures of how you mounted the Phazer skid.

Track in will post pictures.
Get a 2 wheel kit $40 or less .worked graeat
Wish I had slide drivers over 1/4 more towards long side of shaft so 3 inches short side 5 long side

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Good deal. I built the 2-wheel kit out of the Phazer axle. Cut it down to length and drilled/tapped the ends for two bolts, and then used 3/4" aluminum schedule 40 pipe to make the spacers. It was a perfect fit. How far back did you mount the suspension on the Phazer skid? I was curious how far back it needed to be. I'll have my drivers tomorrow, so I hope to have it back together tomorrow night. I rebuilt the clutch with new rollers. The original rollers were flat in several spots. Also replaced the belt while I was in there. Any idea what jetting these should be running at our elevation? I think the one I have runs rich. I pulled the pipe, and it was full of unburned fuel...

Thanks for the tips!

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
By the way, I was in Bill's snowmobile repair picking up some parts, and he said he had another customer that was doing a long track kit. I assume that was you. Small world.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
This one bleeds fuel into the pipe if it is parked with the fuel valve on. So, having unburnt fuel in your pipe may be running rich, or a bleed by. I haven't diagnosed it yet, but suspect the fuel pump is letting it run into the pulse hose, or the needle/seat is not sealing off well.

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
scoot

here is 2 wheel kit and almost done .
hopfully test ride for me this week end.
no grand kid so i will ride it.
still wish could find shorter track.
need to fix fuel line needs hose clamp.
ps on fuel trouble and i have no shut off valve.
have not expirinced and gas in pipe YET.
had rail set 26 inches to center of rear axel from pivot point and had to move it to 27.5 inches to center.
may depend on track.
ps it loosens up when all the way down.
so on ground the it gets tighter

almost done.jpg 2 wheel kit.jpg

Last edited:

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Well, got 'er done. Couldn't have done it without all of your help. Need to make some track adjustments, and might re-jet to a leaner main, and figure out the carb issue, but until next spring when we strip it down and powder coat it, the only thing left this season is a tunnel extension. That'll be a while I think... Haha! Thanks again everybody! View attachment 191330View attachment 191331View attachment 191332View attachment 191333

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
7 inches on my limiter strap.
Take old track cover put it up close to the seat.
Looks better.
Look at my picture closer.
Small led tail light

C
Nov 29, 2008
def make a tunnel and mount under the seat - looks better, has better snow clearance, place for storage and you can add a grab handle for easier lifting ... i molded one up out of fibreglass in about an hour - cut out two forms to match the shape at the seat / drop bracket and used a piece of corex (corrugated plastic) for the mold - quick shot of gel coat and a couple of layers of fabric/ trim and fasten to the drop bracket + small bracket under the tail light for extra support.

Premium Features