• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tire pressure for snow/ice

What tire pressure should be ran?

• 50 psi

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • 60 psi

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • 70 psi

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 80 psi

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
2007 Dodge Ram Megacab 2500 4x4 Cummins Auto. Will be empty and no trailer.

Stock BFG Rugged Trail T/A 265/70/R17 tires.

Have a drive 150 miles each way tomorrow and back on sunday and the roads are going to be complete crap. It will be in 4x4 unless the pavement is bare.

And if you could give some reasoning for your answer too...I have my own ideas, but they might be wrong

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
well generally you'd lower the pressure to get more contact to the snow/ice,but to low of pressure can cause bad things on highways.
but why screw with it, just leave it. thats how they are designed

R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
just leave it? They're at 80 psi right now from towing/highway mileage. I don't think I'm gonna leave them at 80 psi.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
80's way too high. I would run 60 front, 50 rear if the truck is empty. 80 PSI is max rating and designed for full weight capacity of the tire. With empty truck you are no where near that. Just for interest sake check the rating on the tire. It will have a rating like 2900lbs at 80PSI or something like that. This means with all tires at 80 PSI they will handle 11600lbs. Your truck is nowhere near that. Air down accordingly. Front of the truck will be heavier with engine, such the stagger. For me, I chalk the treads and air down until I have a good full contact patch on the road. This can be tough with a real stiff tire but you get the drift. You should have no issues at 50-60 PSI, you will have a much nicer ride quality and much better traction. If you go WAY low your tires can run hot and it is dangerous and hard on the tire but you have to get pretty low to be in this kind of danger.
Keep in mind if you load right up and are hauling something heavy you will need to air up accordingly.
Good luck!

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I've got the same truck and tires. They SUCK on ice!!! They've got 50psi in them and stopping or taking off on anything other than dry pavement is nothing but a wheel spinner, maybe some weight in the back would help???

I ran 250 miles in MT on ice/hard pack snow and it was all in 4wd at 40-50mph, couldn't have made the grades in 2wd. Don't be afraid to turn the knob to 4wd.

Long Gone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
I always run my 10 ply tires at 40 in the winter time with no problems. I have even done 35 with out an issue. IMO, 50 is too high for not having a load.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Funny...

I had a similar question that I was going to ask the tire guys on here. I got new studded 8 plys put on the burb last weekend (usually run 10 ply) and noticed how sloppy it seemed in the way home and checked the pressure. The sidewall says 65 but they were at 35. I ran them up to 50 and noticed that one was leaking (stem) so I took it back to the Schwabbies to have them fix it and mentioned that they were only aired to 35 when installed. I figured I'd get it back and they would all be aired to 50. Nope, back to 35 in all of them. Doesn't mileage (not to mention tread wear) suffer when they are that low? :confused:

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Got the same truck as you, except 5.9/G56.
I run 40 psi rear (empty truck) and 50 psi up front in the winter. I've aired them down more breaking trail int he snow (40F 30R), and they only felt a little mushy driving back to town.
If it's really hurtin' for traction on the hiway, I'd probably go 50F 35R.
Best thing you can do is get some weight in the back.

R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
40 front, 35 rear....since front is heavy. No need for more than that unless you have a load. JMO-

this seems to be the consensus on the diesel site too.

It will be in 4x4 all the time too, unless it is 100% dry pavement, which I don't see happening at all considering it's even snowing in the valley.

W
Jan 2, 2008
I didn't vote as they were all too high

I've had mine as low as 35f 20r but typically I'm 40F 35R, that'll give you a bit more footprint and when you get on the brakes the front tires will sponge down a tad bit and give you way more traction

not much you can do with the rear, other than add weight which helps a lot.

Shocker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Rapid City S.D.
On my d-max i run 50 in the front 40 in the rear, empty, year round,60 in the rear pullin trailers, tires always wear very even and good traction.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
40 front, 35 rear....since front is heavy. No need for more than that unless you have a load. JMO-

That's what I run.

I just bump the pressure up in the rears with a load on. I find if I run any higher than that, it balloons the tire and wears the center portion of the tire out quicker than the shoulders.

Shouldn't even have to say it, but not enough pressure is even worse.

J

JohnnyQuestUtah

Oct 30, 2008
Union Bench, Utah
35 psi

Bought a set of rims and tire's for the woman last week. dealer told me that 35 psi would work best for the studded snow tires, said at that presure it make the best contact possible with the road.

toyota 4-runner 16 inch rims.

peace out,

johnny.

T
Dec 13, 2007
Pay no attention to the sidewall rating other than for max pressure/load capacity.Ton of people look at that and figure that is the recommended pressure.Been in the business for 10 years (no I'm not "the" expert) but rule of thumb - never below 40PSI on a 10 ply. I've been down to 37 on my own but on a 20" 10 ply Ram 1500 so it is a lighter truck. I would recommend 60 in front and 40 in rear.The BFG Rugged Trail hates ice and you will swear at that tire more than once.The BFG All Terrian is a much better tire for ice as it is one of the few LT tires that have a winter rating. 80PSI is rock hard you should be happier with any reduction in pressure!!Good drivin!

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
No vote here either, all pressures to high for winter travel and 4WD.

If it were my truck, I would run them at about 35 at operating temps, so that means about 32 psi cold. Tire temps raise once you get them "warmed up" even in winter temps (friction).

I run 36 psi cold in my 40's and it hits right at 40 psi once they warm up. excellent traction.

btw... don't run different pressure between front and rear if you are going to be in 4wd most of the time.

I would run down to Lowes/Home Depot and buy about 200 lbs of the sand bags and put in the back, helps greatly.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
07 5.9 quad 3500 srw
55 front, 45 rear.
Same BFG tires, they work great on the snow and ice for me.

Premium Features