• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha first ride impressions

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Makes sense about the traction of this sled. Everything we have learned about sledding and tracks is that a compliant track which packs the snow, not scoops and throws the snow, while traversing any obstacle will produce better traction and floatation. Angle is traction...and when you have a track that stays on top, you win. With this skid and track, you now have a track that will give and comply when subjected to pressure in any given spot, this mean it stays on top, doesn't trench in that spot and floats...and when you avoid the track digging in deeper, and the nose going up, you are going to float better and keep the entire track in contact.

It is really cool to hear that it does not slide out on sidehills...I was concerned that this skid and track would slip out during more extreme sidehills. Now, what is an extreme sidehill to one sledder may not be to another...so will be interested to hear more on that one given hours and abilities across the board. But sounds pretty promising.

I hope to kick a leg over one this winter at some point. I really like that all agree that this sled takes less effort to ride. And, honestly, for my riding the easiest sled to ride all day with less effort has been the XM 154...but it really slid out on the tougher sidehills. If this can hold the sidehill yet is low effort, it sounds like an amazing set-up...especially for someone like me who gets their primary arm workouts moving the mouse at work and playing with the kids. Fun to hear about a new generation design idea and how it is working.

If anything, brands aside, I really respect and appreciate Cat stepping outside of the box and taking a risk on a pretty different concept and form factor. And Cat is not the only brand...they are all pushing the limits of technology. Doo with the direct injection motors, Polaris with the weight, agility and drivetrain and Yamaha really owning the big HP 4-stroke market and reliability. We live in a cool time for sleds. Pretty lucky we are.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I heard the dealer here in town ordered one for somebody but I have not seen it yet. (Small town, small dealer) A lot of people here are bashing the concept already but I for one cant wait to see it on the snow. Every review so far seems to be positive and that track looks like it throws some serious snow.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I spend more time than I like to admit on social media and have read and seen lots of good things about the 2019 Cats. Some guys are already abusing the Alphas and they seem to hold up so thats good.

The other thing I have noticed is Cat sold a ton of sleds. Like probably as many as they’ve sold the last 3-4 years if I had to guess, so thats cool.

I’m NOT saying this motor is underpowered (rode one and it pulls hard) but I am looking forward to bigger motor.

It will be interesting so see what Polaris does to compete, they are the only one still using a traditional skid.

Anyone know anywhere that will be renting Alphas this year?

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Coming off an 18 MC 153, and 16M8 153SP prior to that.

Have 8hours and 105miles on the 2019 Alpha One 154.

Rode this weekend in the Horns on a variety of snow conditions ranging from bottomless powder, 10-12" powder on firm base, windblown, and even fresh snow with old tracks underneath. Riding partner had an 18 MC with same suspension set-up.

Im 175lbs w/o gear, I set-up the A1 the same as my 18MC:
Skiis 58psi
FT 48psi
RT 128psi
(60, 50, 130 in warm shop @1000ft)

On the trail, cant tell any difference whatsoever vs twin rail skid.

Off-trail is where the Alpha1 is a Gamechanger. Three most notable takeaways, manueverability, stabilty, and TRACTION!

Immediately there is noticeably less effort required to maneuver the A1. The learning curve was almost non-existent. It was very intuitive to ride. Had to be careful not to over ride it, but that took all of 30 seconds to get used to. You just look at where you want to go and lean, and it goes there with ease. Because of this reduction in effort, I think this skid will be good for riders of all abilities, less fatigue, and more confidence.

I rode some really steep sidehills on a variety of snow and never once had any washouts. It was exceptionally/surprisingly stable on hard crusty or old tracks. Almost felt like cheating!

Usually stability and maneuverability are mutually exclusive, the A1 is very manuevrable, but very predictable as well! Once you get going where you want, it is super stable as well.

Very rarely had to ride wrong foot forward, even initiating steep downhill 180° turns!

The A1 Powerclaw 3.0 3.5" track is an animal. The clutching, skid approach angle, and track just jump up on the snow.
The A1 pulled me back out of some steep n deep holes I dropped into, I could effortlessly turn it around a like paperclip turn, and would just shoot me back up from a deadstop! Silly! The A1 is very efficient, the ctec2 800, may not have the dyno numbers of the 840 and 850, but it is a very reliable, crisp feel, and combined with the roller clutch, Alpha skid, approach angle, and the Traction of this track, give this sled huge advantage!

I don't know if it had more to do with snow conditions, or if this sled is different, but on several occasions I was able to do an "Austin Powers" style 10pt turn around using reverse, surprisingly well, that almost never worked for me on other machines.

There are many other little nice improvements. The handlbar controls. I never once bumped the hand warmers to a different setting. I did bump the kill switch once, but I have also done that on the older controls with the switch guards as well.
The magnetic tether is very nice! The ECU reflash does give a much more responsive bottom-end crisp feel.

I did have my throttle cable come unhooked from the lever once. I suspect a little bit of break-in stretch and I will have to adjust the free-play.

Overall cat has hit a homerun with the A1, definitely a game changer in the mountain segment for sure. I am very pleased with it, lived up to all the hype, imo. Basically every review I've read about the A1 was confirmed . I would say the improvement between the 19 Alpha 1 and the 18 MC, was as much or more than the difference between the 18MC and my 16SP.
I would expect to see more color options for the A1 for 2020!

Gonna be tough for anyone to have a negative review of the Alpha 1 after actually riding one. It flat out rocks!
Alpha1 is here to stay. Durability of the track is unknown. So far it is claimed to be more durable, certainly looks like it is from the eye test! Time will tell!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

good read !

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I spend more time than I like to admit on social media and have read and seen lots of good things about the 2019 Cats. Some guys are already abusing the Alphas and they seem to hold up so thats good.

The other thing I have noticed is Cat sold a ton of sleds. Like probably as many as they’ve sold the last 3-4 years if I had to guess, so thats cool.

I’m NOT saying this motor is underpowered (rode one and it pulls hard) but I am looking forward to bigger motor.

It will be interesting so see what Polaris does to compete, they are the only one still using a traditional skid.

Anyone know anywhere that will be renting Alphas this year?

850 Cat next year.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Happy Thanksgiving!
Throw boost a larger displacement sled and it will make a difference, give me a 850+ and better crankcase rigidity and I would be happy to stuff it! The 800 works just fine with boost, just want to see a little more reliability built in for boost! Mike

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
cats never had a problem with boost or BB. lot more on the table with cat fo sho.
look how many bb options have exceeded the others in the past and only time will make the newer setups open to this.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I agree cat engines can handle boost and bb. And to be honest if you want big boost reliability buy a 4 stroke.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Rented an alpha 165 (48 miles) , 162x3 poo 850 (43 miles)and a 18 doo 850 165x3 (1300 miles)

Alpha running 8300 rpm climbing.

Really noticed the traction while sidehilling. (Constant forward momentum)

Also sh!thooks don’t make you lose ground speed. (Think 5 linking hooks while climbing the hill with a ski barely touching at each 180). = FUN

Alpha pulled 3 sled lengths ahead of a piped and clutched 18 axys 162x3 in fresh snow uphill climb. (150 yards)

The doo 850 wheelie slowed it way down and was around 4-5 lengths behind. (Standard)

Poo 850 was only pulling 76-7700 rpm so it got spanked by everything.

I’m not sure if it’s break in mode detuning it or low elevation clutching.

Ride was at 6k’

Rear scissor bottoms out on the rail (I think while wheelieing) and has scraped a bunch of paint off.

d385f86da2e552467d9239dadbb84ed8.jpg

d260bca0460a0116582fe6f72e3adf35.jpg

0e5c62c810df89f7ac3d7c5e5d772944.jpg

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I seen another one broken on the first ride.
My 14 has been bent up, down, sideways and then some. Still there 5yrs later.

I think the 19s may be made out of a different material?

Thanks for the review.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Rented an alpha 165 (48 miles) , 162x3 poo 850 (43 miles)and a 18 doo 850 165x3 (1300 miles)

Alpha running 8300 rpm climbing.

Really noticed the traction while sidehilling. (Constant forward momentum)

Also sh!thooks don’t make you lose ground speed. (Think 5 linking hooks while climbing the hill with a ski barely touching at each 180). = FUN

Alpha pulled 3 sled lengths ahead of a piped and clutched 18 axys 162x3 in fresh snow uphill climb. (150 yards)

The doo 850 wheelie slowed it way down and was around 4-5 lengths behind. (Standard)

Poo 850 was only pulling 76-7700 rpm so it got spanked by everything.

I’m not sure if it’s break in mode detuning it or low elevation clutching.

Ride was at 6k’

Rear scissor bottoms out on the rail (I think while wheelieing) and has scraped a bunch of paint off.

d385f86da2e552467d9239dadbb84ed8.jpg

d260bca0460a0116582fe6f72e3adf35.jpg

0e5c62c810df89f7ac3d7c5e5d772944.jpg

I think that's from the track clips touching. Track too lose?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Definitively not from the track being too loose, suspension to soft maybe?
I am seeing a few guys wanting an 850 or predictions of one. This is only year 2 on the 800, I doubt Cat is ready to introduce a engine with 50 more cc. I could see them putting a turbo on instead. You run it at 160 or 170 hp and your done. Little to no boost at sea level keeping the epa happy and the big gain is in elevation, same setup as the 4S. I would buy that over a larger displacement engine that turns in to a 600 at 6000 ft. The 800 is plenty for 90% of the riders out there now, most rider can't out ride what they have. Cat is also due for a chassis upgrade or new one, the Assender was an upgrade in my opinion and really works great. I'd be happy with refinements and addressing a little weight. Sorry for getting off topic, back to the A1. I cant wait to try one as next year I will be upgrading, keep the ride reports coming.

Premium Features