• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snowy range info

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
i'm looking for a place in the snowy range that would be comparable to togwotee mountain lodge. we're looking to for a place that has lodging, food, gas, and possible a guide for a day or two.

we're looking to make our first trip to the snowy range. my group has ridden several different spots throughout the west, but never the snowies.

any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
i looked at the sticky before posting, but that was done in 2009.

i guess I'm looking for recs about which place would be best. we ride with avy gear and know how to use it and also like to knock down a few beers at night. we're not looking for party night life, but need a place that doesn't mind some dudes laughing and drinking.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Your only two options are Albany Lodge/Albany or Old Corral/Centennial. A couple of the brothers would probably be willing to guide you for a few hours if you ask ahead of time when you make your reservation. Beers available at both places and more bars in Centennial.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
Saratoga resort and Spa in Saratoga. You will have to drive to the mountain every morning 18 miles but closer to better snow,(on the west side of the mountain) they have guides and rental sleds. Albany lodge (east side) is a ride from the door place if you go early in the season or a bad snow year it gets thin on the east side if the mountain and you have to ride 10-15 miles to get into great snow, February or later not an issue unless it has been warm for a while.
I am coming Iowa and we almost always drive to the west side, there are places to stay in Ryan Park on the west side at the base of the mountain but no guides or rentals. PM if you have any more questions I am willing to help if I can.
Muffin

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for the info guys.

We’re coming from Wisconsin so riding the east side would be ideal. 20 hour truck rides get old so it will be nice to learn an area that’s a 14 hour drive.

We all have our own sleds so rentals aren’t important. As far as a guide, we don’t need someone to hold our hands, but it would be nice to have someone show us the spots to avoid.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Thanks for the info guys.

We’re coming from Wisconsin so riding the east side would be ideal. 20 hour truck rides get old so it will be nice to learn an area that’s a 14 hour drive.

We all have our own sleds so rentals aren’t important. As far as a guide, we don’t need someone to hold our hands, but it would be nice to have someone show us the spots to avoid.

the Green Rock parking lot. I avoid that like the plague.

:face-icon-small-con

Saratoga resort and Spa in Saratoga. You will have to drive to the mountain every morning 18 miles but closer to better snow,(on the west side of the mountain) they have guides and rental sleds. Albany lodge (east side) is a ride from the door place if you go early in the season or a bad snow year it gets thin on the east side if the mountain and you have to ride 10-15 miles to get into great snow, February or later not an issue unless it has been warm for a while.
I am coming Iowa and we almost always drive to the west side, there are places to stay in Ryan Park on the west side at the base of the mountain but no guides or rentals. PM if you have any more questions I am willing to help if I can.
Muffin

I would also recommend the west side. I have been to the snowies close to 10 times in the last few years and have always stayed at 10 Mile Inn in Ryan Park. We have always been able to find above average snow only a few miles from the cabin whether its late December, mid Jan or late March. We have been to Tog, Alpine, Afton and we always end up going back to the west side of the snowies. Its been the most consistent and its well worth the extra couple hour drive, still closer then all of those other places. Ten Mile inn has cabins that sleep 4 people. You can do 5 but its a little tight. They also have a main lodge with a bar, and a kitchen they let the guests cook in for breakfast/dinner. They have gas at the lodge as well. The only thing they don't have is a guide, but you should be able to find good riding not far away without a guide.

Last edited:

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
so would you guys go to the west side because the snow is better or the terrain is better or both?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I would stay on the eastside closer to bar motel and parts in larime

so would you guys go to the west side because the snow is better or the terrain is better or both?

There are alot less people, so zones don't get tracked out as much or as quickly. It's easier to find good riding close to the cabin. There might not be more snow than the east side, but there is definitely more fresh. The terrain is pretty much the same. Revrider does have a point with the parts though. There is only a Polaris dealership on the west side, about 20 miles of the mountain in Saratoga

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
I would also recommend the west side. I have been to the snowies close to 10 times in the last few years and have always stayed at 10 Mile Inn in Ryan Park. We have always been able to find above average snow only a few miles from the cabin whether its late December, mid Jan or late March. We have been to Tog, Alpine, Afton and we always end up going back to the west side of the snowies. Its been the most consistent and its well worth the extra couple hour drive, still closer then all of those other places. Ten Mile inn has cabins that sleep 4 people. You can do 5 but its a little tight. They also have a main lodge with a bar, and a kitchen they let the guests cook in for breakfast/dinner. They have gas at the lodge as well. The only thing they don't have is a guide, but you should be able to find good riding not far away without a guide.

How is it worth the couple extra hours when Centennial is an awesome town and you can ride your sled pretty quickly to the “west” side of Snowies each morning?! Not following you at all.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
There is good riding on the east side if you can find a guide to show you around. Have family that has been riding there since the 80s they ride 2 to 3 days a week. Pretty good night life in Larime also if your into that good options for motels and gas.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
How is it worth the couple extra hours when Centennial is an awesome town and you can ride your sled pretty quickly to the “west” side of Snowies each morning?! Not following you at all.

You are correct, and mid week riding that’s a good way to go but green rock parking on the weekend is way too tight for my liking and darn hard to get a big trailer turned around unless you are the last one out.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
Great discussion thanks.

This parking area you guys describe reminds me of the one at the entrance to the granite hot springs. What a disaster that place is.

Braap Wraps

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2013
Laramie Wyoming
www.sledthreads.biz
XC500Mod

I live in Laramie and on busy days parking at Greenrock can be a challenge. The real trick is get up early and get back early. You can always get out with big rig just have to park reasonably when you get in or at lest have the option too. The worst part for people coming from the Midwest is you can not ride in and out unless we have great snow. That is unless you stay at mountain meadows cabins.

If you want to have someone what of a night life and be able to ride in and out stay at Albany lodge. It is the only place that you can do that from on this side.

Me personally if you can handle the trailing sleds to and from the mountain I would stay in Laramie and trailer up each morning. Leave Laramie by 7am would be the best. Fuel and food are more adorable. You have better options in both categories as well.

I can't say much for the other side as I do not travel over there much in the winter if at all.

When we ride it's pretty much a beat feet to the back side at the this side is beat unless you head north or south. The best snow is by far on the back side. It will get tracked up fast Wednesday thru Sunday. That is the down fall of our area. Anything from 130 to the peaks and north gets trashed in a hurry and I would look for other places to venture.

I hope this help and good luck. If you need more info or have questions please let me know.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
XC500Mod

I live in Laramie and on busy days parking at Greenrock can be a challenge. The real trick is get up early and get back early. You can always get out with big rig just have to park reasonably when you get in or at lest have the option too. The worst part for people coming from the Midwest is you can not ride in and out unless we have great snow. That is unless you stay at mountain meadows cabins.

If you want to have someone what of a night life and be able to ride in and out stay at Albany lodge. It is the only place that you can do that from on this side.

Me personally if you can handle the trailing sleds to and from the mountain I would stay in Laramie and trailer up each morning. Leave Laramie by 7am would be the best. Fuel and food are more adorable. You have better options in both categories as well.

I can't say much for the other side as I do not travel over there much in the winter if at all.

When we ride it's pretty much a beat feet to the back side at the this side is beat unless you head north or south. The best snow is by far on the back side. It will get tracked up fast Wednesday thru Sunday. That is the down fall of our area. Anything from 130 to the peaks and north gets trashed in a hurry and I would look for other places to venture.

I hope this help and good luck. If you need more info or have questions please let me know.

This sums it up. The early sledder gets the pow. Really, this goes for riding anywhere I've ever ridden as well, as we're all basically being corralled into the same areas these days.

With that said, Albany Lodge also has had some pretty good looking waitresses in the past from what I remember :)

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Driving from MNPLS, I know the routes you speak of to get there (avg of 15-16 hrs drive). [I don't feel there is enough extra benefit to drive around and over to the west side]. I put more value in staying some place that I can ride from. Forget driving up to a parking area, or parking along the road. Only time my truck moves is to go get parts when/if needed. There are plenty of great places to ride on the east side, too. Just need to do your home work and find them. And then if you want to "bomb" over to the NW side, you can do that too. The ride will be similar to running from the town of West Yellowstone up to Cabin Creek but on a winding trail.

Most important to understand is that the Snowy's is remote. Meaning you don't have a town of any significance at the base of the mtn (either side). No place to "shop" if too cold, or tired, or broken down while the rest of the group finishes out the day. If you do need parts, they are a 45 min drive away [to Laramie]. On the west, I think you are driving to Saratoga. Not sure if you can buy gas on the east side of the hill anywhere other then Albany Lodge. Just need to plan accordingly.

If that what you like, and set expectations accordingly - it's a great ride.

One more - the Albany Lodge is under new ownership. Former owners were a bit tired of it, and shows. Updates are already under way.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Driving from MNPLS, I know the routes you speak of to get there (avg of 15-16 hrs drive). [I don't feel there is enough extra benefit to drive around and over to the west side]. I put more value in staying some place that I can ride from. Forget driving up to a parking area, or parking along the road. Only time my truck moves is to go get parts when/if needed. There are plenty of great places to ride on the east side, too. Just need to do your home work and find them. And then if you want to "bomb" over to the NW side, you can do that too. The ride will be similar to running from the town of West Yellowstone up to Cabin Creek but on a winding trail.

Most important to understand is that the Snowy's is remote. Meaning you don't have a town of any significance at the base of the mtn (either side). No place to "shop" if too cold, or tired, or broken down while the rest of the group finishes out the day. If you do need parts, they are a 45 min drive away [to Laramie]. On the west, I think you are driving to Saratoga. Not sure if you can buy gas on the east side of the hill anywhere other then Albany Lodge. Just need to plan accordingly.

If that what you like, and set expectations accordingly - it's a great ride.

One more - the Albany Lodge is under new ownership. Former owners were a bit tired of it, and shows. Updates are already under way.

You can get fuel in Centennial at The Friendly Store. It’s probably $1.00+ over price in Laramie. They also sell permits and have an awesome breakfast.

Premium Features