• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 M8 Leaking Oil Cap

J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
I have a 2011 M8 with a leaking oil cap.:face-icon-small-fro

If the sled gets turned over the oil spills everywhere. The cap is on but the oil spill out between the neck and cap.

This is a brand new sled. The oil bottle neck is NOT warped or egg shaped. I purchased the oil neck insert and o-ring on this forum to prevent heat warp. What I noticed is when you try to tighten down oil cap, anything beyond 1 and half turn will start to cross thread the cap.

Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions to fix? Is there a deeper oil cap with more threads so I can screw it down tighter?

Any advice greatly appreciated:face-icon-small-hap

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
I had to remove the O-ring and use RTV silicone in the O-rings place. That stoped the leak you are talking about.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
We have a nice fix for that that also allows you to fill up your oil bottle faster and with ease... eventually ALL oil bottle will warp

Check it out

http://www.2strokeheads.com/Oilcap.htm

I have a 2011 M8 with a leaking oil cap.:face-icon-small-fro

If the sled gets turned over the oil spills everywhere. The cap is on but the oil spill out between the neck and cap.

This is a brand new sled. The oil bottle neck is NOT warped or egg shaped. I purchased the oil neck insert and o-ring on this forum to prevent heat warp. What I noticed is when you try to tighten down oil cap, anything beyond 1 and half turn will start to cross thread the cap.

Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions to fix? Is there a deeper oil cap with more threads so I can screw it down tighter?

Any advice greatly appreciated:face-icon-small-hap

HFH

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
I have had this same problem (I have also had the melting of reservoir my the cap, but that is something else). When you take off the cap, make sure that the o ring is properly seated. Sometimes it works its way up the threads. Also when you put the cap on be careful, it is really easy to cross thread. Every time we put more oil in, we check the o ring. It had really worked for us.

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
rkt kit work great mine has not leaked a drop since i put it on there

Premium Features