• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

mounting a sled deck to the bed (dodge 2500 long bed)

B
Jul 28, 2008
I'm about to mount my sled deck directly to the bed of my dodge 2500 long bed.

Searched for a thread on this, and found nothing. Where in the bed is the correct spot to bolt it?

Thanks!

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
i personally mount mine as far back as possible.try to get the majority of the sled weight (motor)as close to the rear axle as possible.not sure this actually makes a difference,but seems like a good idea.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I would mount the deck so you've got about 2" between the front of it and your cab, just incase of any flexing. The sleds weight sits were the legs of the deck are, so you know exactly were your weight is going, but i'd say almost all of it is on the rear axle as it is. With my steel deck loaded with 1 sled and a bunch of other stuff, it droped the rear end of my dodge 3500 over 3" so I don't think the front took to much weight.

B
Jul 28, 2008
Guess I didn't explain myself very well.

I'm concerned with where to put the bolts through the bed for strength.

Is just going through the bed enough or should I put the bolts through the bed on the beam? Does that make sense?

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Run the bolts through metal plates under the bed. That way, the plate adds strength to the truck bed and the bolts can't pull through.

D
Sep 10, 2008
i have thesame truck as you,i drilled the front two holes about 15'' back from the front cuz the very front under the bed is really busy with the front cross member. if you look under the bed you will know what i mean. then the rear bolts are at the very back kinda a pita to get the plates and nuts on as they landed right between the rear shackle mount and the bed but there is enough room to get in there. i cut some 4" x 6" plates for under the bed and it seems to work very well. i hope this makes sence...... also it is a good idea to bolt your deck down cuz it wont be covered on your insurance un less it is... in bc anyways.

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
I've always been told to use L brackets like a fifth wheel and never drill through the top or bottom of the frame, only the sides. Something to do with all the tension in the top and bottom. Maybe a car guy knows more.

K
Dec 31, 2007
you can put the bolts in any where and use a homemade washer ( peice of steel 5 inches diameter so you don't pull them through. a friends was bolted to the bed and under a WOT acceleration with 2 sleds tweaked his hole box on the truck.

i would personally bolt to the frame with some brackets.

Premium Features