• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick Auto, new Ascender model.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
That is the ST kit. It is in development. What are you planning? Just curious.

I think that 5psi is to little boost to justify the price, and I like to tune turbo sleds myself.

Would a Sidekick kit be possible to upgrade to an adjustable fuel controller and extra injectors later, when the new fuel controllers comes out?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I think that 5psi is to little boost to justify the price, and I like to tune turbo sleds myself.

Would a Sidekick kit be possible to upgrade to an adjustable fuel controller and extra injectors later, when the new fuel controllers comes out?

Yes. That would be the ST kit.

Let me explain the Sidekick Auto a little further. The Sidekick Auto is not so much a "Pound boost" setting, but rather a HP setting. It is fully automated by Electronic Boost Control. You start out at 5 psi which gives you approximately 200 hp. As you climb in elevation and your air density gradually falls, the EBC proportionately increases boost maintaining 200 hp.
At elevation you will be boosting much higher, just like our modern automobile systems do. Then as you descend in elevation, EBC proportionately reduces the boost as to not over boost down low. Your boost is always changing with your density altitude. Your HP is remaining constant. Super nice technology now. You can look at a few vids on Boondockers FB page of the new Cat in action. They are on the back bumper half the time because they are boosting much higher psi at elevation. You don't need a "fixed boost number " anymore with EBC. Also with the boost controlled, you don't need higher octane fuels for over boost situations. You would not be disappointed. :)

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Yes. That would be the ST kit.

Let me explain the Sidekick Auto a little further. The Sidekick Auto is not so much a "Pound boost" setting, but rather a HP setting. It is fully automated by Electronic Boost Control. You start out at 5 psi which gives you approximately 200 hp. As you climb in elevation and your air density gradually falls, the EBC proportionately increases boost maintaining 200 hp.
At elevation you will be boosting much higher, just like our modern automobile systems do. Then as you descend in elevation, EBC proportionately reduces the boost as to not over boost down low. Your boost is always changing with your density altitude. Your HP is remaining constant. Super nice technology now. You can look at a few vids on Boondockers FB page of the new Cat in action. They are on the back bumper half the time because they are boosting much higher psi at elevation. You don't need a "fixed boost number " anymore with EBC. Also with the boost controlled, you don't need higher octane fuels for over boost situations. You would not be disappointed. :)

Thanks for the information, I have had several Boondocker turbo sleds before, and all were fully adjustable so I know how they work. :)
Here in Norway where i ride I don't really have big elevation variations, and im riding from 1500ft to 3800ft at the highest. At the most i could see 1psi in difference from the lowest elevation to the highest.

And i still think 6psi is to little boost for me, and at 200hp im still around 20hp less then im used to.

No problem running pump gas and 8-9psi at our elevation if it is tuned well. Need to mention that our pump gas has a sligthly higher octane then yours, and contains no ethanol mixed in it.

Don't get me wrong, the Sidekick is a awesome product, but some just want more ;)

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes, You will have the ST kit available in the future. You will have the ability to make it a MONSTER ! Straight VP - C12 fuel and big boost!
That was my last sled and yes, it is a drug !!! Haaha

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Yes, You will have the ST kit available in the future. You will have the ability to make it a MONSTER ! Straight VP - C12 fuel and big boost!
That was my last sled and yes, it is a drug !!! Haaha

Sounds good. :)

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I feel I should give a thorough breakdown of the Sidekick and it's operating components and functions.

#1 - The Boondocker Sidekick is the "next gen" technology in Turbo application for our sleds. We finally have up to date, 21st century technology available!
ECU - , The OEM , ECU's are the result of thousands of hours of perfection by the manufacturer to accomplish the amazing, "perfect" operation we see today in these new sleds. Boondocker has realized this fact and therefore does not touch the OEM's ECU. The ECU is not sent in and "re-programmed" or altered. It controls and performs all of the functions intended by the manufacturer. Having that gives the Sled the amazing grunt and throttle response this engine has. The Sidekick Auto simply lays in fuel over top of the stock ECU as needed for boost. You then have the stock, excellent ECU functioning as normal "plus" boost and additional fuel. The result is amazing. If you have receive an ECU update from the manufacturer, you simply take it to your dealer, update as per normal, then continue riding! No down time. Then down the road when you want to sell your sled and upgrade, you simply unplug the Sidekick Auto electronics, remove the turbo and reassemble to stock and sell your sled. No need for an expensive new ECU replacement. Very nice.

#2 - Electronic Boost Control, "EBC". This technology is amazing. No more manual boost control or the need to "turn it up a little" when at altitude. EBC is more of a "horsepower setting" than a boost setting. With the old technology we had, we used to manually set a "target boost value". With Boondockers EBC, we are essentially setting a target "Horsepower value". The Sidekick Auto begins at approximately 5 pounds of boost. That equates to about 200 HP. The EBC then monitors the atmospheric values and proportionately adjusts boost accordingly, maintaining the 200HP.
At high elevations, the Sidekick Auto will be pumping out 7,8,9, pounds of boost required to maintain that constant 200HP. Then as you head back down the mountain, the EBC is protecting you from over-boosting by reducing boost until it is back at that beginning value of approx 5PSI. You can start to see this is not a "boost setting" but a HP setting. EBC is controlling boost throughout the day. All of this is done electronically and automatically! Then to top it off, there is also TPS, "throttle position sensing" incorporated into the application of boost. The result is a seamless, smooth and progressive power application. You can carefully hold a sketchy sidehill, smoothly and continuously. If you want to stand it on the rear bumper, just push your thumb a little farther. Very "ride-able" and smooth.
The EBC and TPS functions remind me of my new Ford Eco-Boost truck. Like all of our modern turboed cars and trucks. There is EBC and TPS working to give us consistent HP in all temperatures and elevations. What that does for our sleds is give us HP consistency which eliminates the need for any clutch tuning! Once the Boondocker clutching is installed, there is no need for adjustments because the HP to the track is always consistent! Super cool.

#3 - The turbo itself is a Garrett 2860. Excellent all around choice. The Cold air intake is accomplished through the OEM's air box and a cold air plenum feeding the turbo. The charge tube and air box, "charge box" are aluminum for quick heat transfer and flow efficiency.

#4 - I have to put this one out there for specific attention. The muffler. Haaha, yep! It deserves attention. It is a very precisely designed and built piece. Stainless steel and designed specifically for this kit. Beautiful to look at, amazingly engineered and built and a custom , stainless "Boondocker Logo" tagged on. The sound is the big bonus. It is not that empty "tuna can", mod sled noise we all loved in the past. It has a deeper rumble and crack. Not much louder that stock, but definitely the sound that advertises to everyone around there's something special under the hood. Most excellent !

#5 - Clutching. The clutch upgrades were very simple. You simply install the included clutch components and go. The secondary spring and helix remain. The great point in clutching is that with EBC keeping your HP consistent, you are no longer making those little clutch adjustments. It stays spot on.

Well everyone, I tried to be as informative as possible to the Side Kick Auto's technical pieces and their function. I hope this was helpful and if you have any questions, you are always welcome to give me a shout.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Just curious how much weight does the kit add? Or maybe another way to ask, what is the weight of the full kit compared to the stock can?

M
Dec 11, 2007
We had a sidekick on our 2017 MC last year and had a bog at 2300ft to 4000ft, we had a adjustable sent to us and dialed it in..!!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
We had a sidekick on our 2017 MC last year and had a bog at 2300ft to 4000ft, we had a adjustable sent to us and dialed it in..!!

Awesome ! The new Sidekick Auto has a range of 5K and above. Your ability to make adjustments below 5K is spot on. Good to hear.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I was told the Side kick cannot be used below 5000ft..??

You are correct for full boost playing etc... However, if you unload at a lesser elevation and ride "up the mountain" you simply babysit your sled, off boost, feathering the throttle until you get some elevation, then Game On !!! We do it all the time. Unload at 2700.

Premium Features