• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16 VIPER RODS?

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
Looking for info on the weak rods?
thought there was a recall on some 2016.
couldnt find it, is there a ser # listing for them motors?
looking at buying a viper and most likely installing a turbo next year. most likely would just do a 180 Yamaha/MPI kit

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
As far I know it wasn't based off of serial #'s, but rather if it had the dealer installed MPI turbo kit. If the dealer installed the turbo kit then it will be in the system and I believe covered under to recall.
There's a chance that if you have a 2016 early build it will have the old motor in it. To check it look at the valve cover, if it has the Black rubber half moon seals, then it's the old motor.

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
QOUTE: "look at the valve cover, if it has the Black rubber half moon seals, then it's the old motor."

not sure? I looked at 2015, 2016, 2017 valve covers on
shopYamaha.com/parts dont see half moon seal?

Last edited:
J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
The early release 2016's that come out in the spring of 15' were the old engines. All Engines after that were the new engines. But it gets fuzzy as some of the new engines had good rods in them and some didnt. Mine didnt and sent the center rod through the block, as did many others.
Yamaha not knowing which engines had the untreated rods, has issued a recall for all MPI dealer installed turbos.
It is hard to know which rods you got. Id either plan to replace them no matter what or buy an older model.
I now have a 2010 Nytro engine in my 16' and it rips....

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
QOUTE: "look at the valve cover, if it has the Black rubber half moon seals, then it's the old motor."

not sure? I looked at 2015, 2016, 2017 valve covers on
shopYamaha.com/parts dont see half moon seal?

It's better if you can check on the sled itself. Pull the side covers and check for the rubber half moons in the attached pic.
The pic is of my 2014 and the Red arrow indicates where the half moons are.
On the new motor the valve cover is cast with a "half moon" in the cover itself.
Also the old motors use a magnesium valve cover. While new motors use an aluminum valve cover.

IMG_3033.jpg

Premium Features