• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR500 Budget build and all things Cr500

M
Jan 14, 2004
So I thought I would post up a thread about this years build. I had always intended on doing it but I decided to hold off until I rode the bike a bunch of times because if it turned out to be a total turd why waste any more time on it. This years basic plan was to build a strong running snow bike that didn't need exotic fuels and cost $20,000.00. After considering all my options I decided on the CR500. I bought the bike from a guy who restored it from top to bottom with a new top end by Adam Millar, new levers and bars, FMF Gnarly pipe and a new PWK 38mm Air Stryker carb. Cost $3300.00 with a bunch of stuff I can sell so net $3k.

Being that it is a 92 it had the craptastic 43mm forks which had to go. After doing a bunch of research I bought a set of WP 48mm forks off of Ebay for $200.00 and rebuilt them. This saved me on a couple of fronts but the best part was my KTM fit kit from the last 2 seasons bolted right on. I also had to buy a front wheel axle for $13 off Ebay. Obviously the triples weren't going to work so I used a set of CRF450 $42 and had them machined out to accept the WP forks. I'd do that differently next time as the machine shop raped me on that but anyways. The best way to add the CRF triples to the steely is with the All Balls conversion bearings. Total cost on the fork job close to $600.00 but worth every penny.

Next up was carb heat and air intake. There was no way the Avid heater was going to work on my frame so I built my own heater (we did 2 mine and SB's). Cost, many hours not so much material. I used the Frozen Boost reducing coupler and made my own filter cage, $30.00.

The bike came with a brand new in the box head so I sent it to Adam and he added the decomp which IMO is a mandatory mod on one of these. He also did the squish. Like $250 or somewhere in there.

I added a Trail tech temp gauge and made my own fittings for the sender $42.00. I have also changed out the 7/8th bars for a set of Renthal Fatbars with adapters. $19.95 Ebay. I have a new light as the ones I was using although plenty bright have a tendency to get torn off by trees.

Electrical power on the CR500 is a problem. Currently, no pun intended, I haven't decided on a plan for charging I may just do the Stealhey lighting coil which will charge at 2 amps DC. I made a battery box out of aluminum and bolted it to the TS spine with a 5S in there. I have a battery tender and charge it every couple of rides. So far so good. The LED light draws next to nothing and I have a head lamp. I also added a Princess auto/Harbor Freight water proof box for tools on the spine. $29.00. These things are the bomb and come in 3 sizes for dirt cheap.

I also had to buy a new seat. The guy I bought the bike from was way short and cut the seat down, it was like sitting on the frame, fawk me. Gripper seat $65 off Ebay shipped. Nice.

I extended the tunnel on my kit while I was at it and got rid of the joke snow flap BS.

After a few rides I noticed I was pushing coolant so I added a coolant recovery bottle from an Apex/Rx1. Seems to be working pushes it out then sucks it back in. I have since switched to a 1.6 Bar Moose Racing rad cap from the stock 1.1.

Riding impressions. So far I am quite pleased with how everything is working. Right off the bat I noticed the 30 lb weight saving over my KTM. The bikes rips harder than any other bike I ride with except SB's CR500 and absolutely dominates my KTM 520. It does vibrate like a bastard but its nothing you can't get used to. Note here, Loctite EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING.

Future upgrades. I think I will pulse inject the carb. SB and I were out yesterday ripping around and his 500 idles like a Lexus or BMW and mine idles like a big block Chevy with a huge cam. Same carbs, pulse no pulse, it's very impressive. That bike flat out rips. I may still build a tunnel cooler and drop one rad, haven't decided yet for sure. Coming soon Bold New Graphics.

So far I'm into it for about $4k or a bit more. Pulse injection will be $500.00 by the time the smoke clears but well worth it for the added smoothness and power.

All in all I'm pretty happy and I think it shows you can be in the game without breaking the bank. Sorry for the long post.

Feel free to add any CR500 related stuff to this thread.

M5

DSCN2579.jpg DSCN2581.jpg DSCN2588.jpg DSCN2590.jpg DSCN2591.jpg DSCN2592.jpg DSCN2596.jpg DSCN2617.jpg DSCN2618.jpg DSCN2619.jpg DSCN2621.jpg

Last edited:

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Nice bike with all the right stuff done! I love my KX but I know the CR's are
awesome and some think they're better.
I would like to try one.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
LOL KX vs CR. Now there is a can of worms lol. Pretty tough to beat the 20 year old 500 for this sport cost and power wise. Engines are so easy to work on, lightweight, and you cant beat the sound. They dominate a 450 !

M
Jan 14, 2004
Nice bike with all the right stuff done! I love my KX but I know the CR's are
awesome and some think they're better.
I would like to try one.

You are more than welcome to try mine if we can meet some day. BTW thanks for doing the R&D on the carb heater and cooling setup, I definitely followed your lead.

M5

M

Mofood

Nov 24, 2014
SL,UT
Nice! Love me some big bore smokers. What gauntlets are those. Been unsure what to buy. Those look perfect.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Get the Clark 4 gal tank , stop telling ppl how awesome it is , I don't want them to be able to keep up . Snow bikes suck anyway tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
The bike came with a graphics matching desert tank, problem is it hits my decomp so I cant use it. If I do another head and decomp I will get it clocked towards the front a bit further. Lesson learned.

M5

S

snorider99

Apr 24, 2008
fort mcmurray
So I had a 94 kx500 and had the top end done by Eric Gorr and that thing vibrated like a sob. The bottom end wasn't touched so maybe unbalanced crank? ? But I'm wanting to get a cr500 now but I don't want to loose felling in my hands from just vibrations.. is the cr less vibrant then the kx?

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
My tank hit the decomp button too , if you kick from tdc no need for decomp button . I took that head off . Big rides I need every ounce of fuel to last as long as the 4t , but I'm wfo a lot more than most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
I to have just started a budget cr500 build. Ok just bought the bike so I'm more in the research phase. What track kit are you running an Lt or St? Is the cylinder ported or stock? Yours is a sweet build, I'm excited to get started on mine. Probably wont be ready until next season.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I run an LT, for me it suits the type of riding I do better than the ST. I ran an ST my first season then switched to the LT for the last 2 seasons. The CR500 pulls the LT like it's not even there. What most guys who have never ridden a CR500 aren't aware of is how much torque the motor has down low. With the LT I can cruise around lugging the motor like I did on my KTM 4 stroke but when I crack the throttle its right there. I'm running an FMF Gnarly pipe which is more of a bottom end pipe vs. the Fatty.

The cylinder was trued and I cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports a bit but basically it is stock. The squish was done on the head when I got the decomp done. I may get some porting done over the summer, haven't decided. The nice thing about going this route is you can build up a killer setup for about 1/3 the price of a new KTM 300.

M5

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
The cylinder was trued and I cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports a bit but basically it is stock. The squish was done on the head when I got the decomp done. I may get some porting done over the summer, haven't decided. The nice thing about going this route is you can build up a killer setup for about 1/3 the price of a new KTM 300.

M5

What jetting did you end up with? I'm setup pretty similar (39mm instead of the 38mm PWK) and had some issues with high coolant temps. I'm just hoping to get a ballpark idea of what others are running with this type setup.

Thanks,

U
Sep 12, 2010
Are you running radiators? I had to go with a tunnel cooler - my radiators were completely inadequate even in ideal conditions.

M
Jan 14, 2004
OK here's my jetting.

Main 170
Pilot 48
Float 16mm
DGM needle 3rd clip
Air screw 1 3/4 turns
Pod filter
14 16 gearing

As for the rads so far that's all I'm running no stats. I have a temp gauge right out of the cylinder head. I have seen temps in the 200s running up a cold hard trail but if there is a little snow temps are usually in the 150s . When I'm in deep snow it usually runs in the 130s when I'm on it hard. After a few rides I added a plastic skid plate and saw the temps go up by about 10 degrees. When I redid my tunnel I made provisions for adding a cooler but so far I haven't felt the need to add one, that may change come spring. Everyone keeps talking about this 120 degree magic temp but what would this bike be seeing in a desert race or in the sand dunes when its 100 degrees outside and you only have the rads. I've decided not to panic about the temps just keep an eye on them. My bike doesn't really like temps much below 120 runs best about 140.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
I run the stock clutch. I will likely freshen that up this summer. I'm personally not feeling the need for a Rekluse, its just more money. The object of this build was to NOT spend $17k. I think SB has a stock clutch too, riding the two bikes back to back I didn't notice much if any difference. I'll ask him. I know he has a Rekluse ready to go but hasn't installed it.

M5

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Are you running radiators? I had to go with a tunnel cooler - my radiators were completely inadequate even in ideal conditions.

Yeah, the previous owner put on some larger capacity fluidynes so I was surprised to see cooling issues. It seems to have happened when I added the ktm T-stat so I guess it's time to pull that sucker back out.

Premium Features