• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 viper oil pressure issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Mar 30, 2010
Is the problem fixed? I know the tank has different interal design and holds a quart more. Dip stick instead of a sight glass! The 14's all did it and lost my sled several times climbing when it shut off in bad situations

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Thy Yamaha engine in laid back a lot more. When you are climbing a steep grade if you look at the situation the motor is flat or upside down. It needs more oil capacity to overcome this. They have increased the reservoir capacity to battle this situation, but under boost and tipping the excess oil still bleeds out the overflow. Most guys are fine, but there are still some issues that need resolved. Really the only thing under the hood that the 1100 and 1050 share is the oil tank.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Thy Yamaha engine in laid back a lot more. When you are climbing a steep grade if you look at the situation the motor is flat or upside down. It needs more oil capacity to overcome this. They have increased the reservoir capacity to battle this situation, but under boost and tipping the excess oil still bleeds out the overflow. Most guys are fine, but there are still some issues that need resolved. Really the only thing under the hood that the 1100 and 1050 share is the oil tank.

Well that's gonna suck for guys climbing the steep stuff. I'm guessing there is a low pressure shutoff on the motor? Just what you need when you get to a really steep nasty part and have your motor shut down.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Canadian Dealers have all the info. Some have ordered and updated tanks. But there is also an ECU update to correctly solve the issue. You need both. Dealers will do the re-flash no problems on the 2014's.
RS

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011

Ok, yes the motor will shut off if sled is tipped on its side as it did to me this weekend on my second ride. This is a great saftey feature, so your sled does not have engine failure without proper oil consumption. And yes if you have the extra oil in the tank as per yamaha fix for problem of not having enough oil in the tank then it will be all over your engine compartment after it bleeds off from overflow tube as this also happened to me after second ride. So at this point it is not going to do us much good to over fill the tank as recommended because the excess will just bleed off all over your engine compartment and if we have overflow tube ran outside we risk the tube freezing and then we have oil pressure issue. But the real question is will this engine shut off during a steep climb?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Ok, yes the motor will shut off if sled is tipped on its side as it did to me this weekend on my second ride. This is a great saftey feature, so your sled does not have engine failure without proper oil consumption. And yes if you have the extra oil in the tank as per yamaha fix for problem of not having enough oil in the tank then it will be all over your engine compartment after it bleeds off from overflow tube as this also happened to me after second ride. So at this point it is not going to do us much good to over fill the tank as recommended because the excess will just bleed off all over your engine compartment and if we have overflow tube ran outside we risk the tube freezing and then we have oil pressure issue. But the real question is will this engine shut off during a steep climb?

It does not shut off, it just cuts out (safe mode).

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Unreal! Really glad I haven't abandoned the unbroken Nytro. I feel bad for all you with snow but now waiting for this issue to be resolved; the season is too short for these kinds of things. Hope they get it fixed very soon.

How does yamaha "test" all year long and something as major as this issue just shows up in production? Christopher, not sure if you're riding yet but you may want to keep Nytrocity another year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The rollover valve is not angle sensitive, it is activated when the tether is pulled. It is not a rollover valve issue as the rollovers work great and do their job. The issue lies in the oil pan/oil tank/pressure sensor combination.
Exactly.
I WONDER if it could be Design Modified to accomplish an additional task.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Unreal! Really glad I haven't abandoned the unbroken Nytro. I feel bad for all you with snow but now waiting for this issue to be resolved; the season is too short for these kinds of things. Hope they get it fixed very soon.

How does yamaha "test" all year long and something as major as this issue just shows up in production? Christopher, not sure if you're riding yet but you may want to keep Nytrocity another year.

Let's not blow it out of proportion. I rode one most of the year last season with just a few hiccups. It is a teething process any new sled goes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features