• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alu sled deck build

spark'd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2011
surrey bc
Finally got around to building a deck for my truck 8ft2inch wide inside deck space 9ft long plus 2ft beaver tall with 15inchs drop down on the beaver tail to help with loading in my truck. Any and all info or ideas of what to put in would be great.

image.jpg

spark'd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2011
surrey bc
Not sure what you mean by out rigger supports? It's a work in progress should be done all the Alu work this week. Was thinking of putting a wood deck on it. With the drop in the beaver tail I'm going to have to add lights in too I think( the beaver tail is stil 54inch to the ground :/)

image.jpg

Last edited:

spark'd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2011
surrey bc
Deck all together doing the headache rack tomorrow still working on the ramp and under deck frameing

image.jpg

Z
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula MT
if your deck is nine feet long i am assuming you are building it specificly for a long bed, i would recomend building the ramp the full 8 feet of the box, you may only be 54inches to the ground right now but thats on a nice even shop floor, not always so in the hills, if you have have the room for it a longer ramp is always better.
If you have the cash for them i recomend superclamps and super glides, i am a giant tight a@@ and went the crank tie down and cut up bed liner ski runner route for years, put super clamps and super glides on last year, best money i ever spent on hauling sleds

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
Unless that deck rests on your bedsides for support, then your floor support is too narrow and eats up any under deck storage! You do not need a beaver tail any more than a foot at 30 degrees, as it sticks out and down too far for bed access. I think you should have taken a closer look at what is out there, then try to duplicate or improve on what others have done? Unless I am missing something here? Yea I have built a few, but I am not giving away all my ideas just yet!

spark'd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2011
surrey bc
Those are my saw horses lol O haven't built the underside deck framing yet. The deck is going on a lifted dodge one ton long box. I was thinking of building a slide out storage tray under neith of the deck but I want the ramp to be 50 inchs wide

image.jpg

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
Here is my bobber that I currently use. I built a fold-up ramp for this, but still need to do some refining! Ramp is 11' when opened up and 6'4" when folded. Support is off the floor, but everything sets tight to the top of the box.

image.jpg

Last edited:
C
Apr 12, 2009
Liberty Lake, WA
Unless that deck rests on your bedsides for support, then your floor support is too narrow and eats up any under deck storage! You do not need a beaver tail any more than a foot at 30 degrees, as it sticks out and down too far for bed access. I think you should have taken a closer look at what is out there, then try to duplicate or improve on what others have done? Unless I am missing something here? Yea I have built a few, but I am not giving away all my ideas just yet!

Those are my saw horses lol O haven't built the underside deck framing yet. The deck is going on a lifted dodge one ton long box. I was thinking of building a slide out storage tray under neith of the deck but I want the ramp to be 50 inchs wide

Haha, I was thinking that your sawhorses were your floor supports, too. That is why I mentioned the lack of ramp and needing outriggers. The outriggers would have been to help the deck from sagging and being unstable.

spark'd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2011
surrey bc
Few things I'm thinking of adding one being a fold out ladder to get up and fuel the sleds maybe a inboard fuel station on in and winch for the just incase ???

I

Ironmanstl

Nov 10, 2008
Looks good
How much time and material do you think you will be into it for when you are done?

spark'd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2011
surrey bc
Looks good
How much time and material do you think you will be into it for when you are done?

Time I think will be around 20hrs by the time it's done for mat I can't really say I work in a Alu fab shop so a lot of the pcs are crops from other jobs I will weigh it after I'm done and fig out what it costs ruffley

spark'd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2011
surrey bc
No I'm going to tig some 1/2inch pipe I between the uprights I just don't have tig at my shop yet so I have to load it up and go to a buddies shop to use his machine

Premium Features