• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 pro's issues and fixes

S

stewy42

Nov 24, 2010
Port Hadlock
Considering getting a holdover 2013 800 pro as I'm seeing a lot of them for a decent price and the factory clearance is going on. I am aware of the driveshaft, belt and a- arm issues that came up. I know the clamp was the fix for the shaft or putting in the 2012 shaft worked also. I know there are aftermarket a- arms available if you want to ease your mind about those. What about the drive belt issues? Is it true that proper break in will make those last? Also is there a stronger belt available that seemed to be working better? Any other issues to consider? Also found a good price on a '13 600 Pro. Anybody ride one of those and what are you're thoughts on them. Thanks!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If I were getting one I would be putting on a Tom Kobza Industries belt drive. Uses a gates belt and tensioner. Very clean looking setup and priced pretty good as far as belt drive systems go.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
If you buy make the dealer put the 14 QD belt on then if you have problems with breaking belt either find the problem and fix it or drop the cash on an aftermarket belt setup... Plenty of 13s out there with zero belt problems.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Why spend the money on a 13' or newer Pro and buy an aftermarket belt drive? I would find a low mileage '12 if there were the case. Save some money .

I did lose a belt but my dealer took care of it for me that night. I lost it on a hard landing in a ditch that also bent my rails, so it was very tough on the drive. I thought there were talks about Polaris making a change in the belts but I could be wrong.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Why spend the money on a 13' or newer Pro and buy an aftermarket belt drive? I would find a low mileage '12 if there were the case. Save some money .

I did lose a belt but my dealer took care of it for me that night. I lost it on a hard landing in a ditch that also bent my rails, so it was very tough on the drive. I thought there were talks about Polaris making a change in the belts but I could be wrong.

Come on, tell the truth. Everybody knows that everything that happens to the Pro starts out with "I was just cruising down a groomed trail when the ______ fell apart or broke:face-icon-small-sho

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
Considering getting a holdover 2013 800 pro as I'm seeing a lot of them for a decent price and the factory clearance is going on. I am aware of the driveshaft, belt and a- arm issues that came up. I know the clamp was the fix for the shaft or putting in the 2012 shaft worked also. I know there are aftermarket a- arms available if you want to ease your mind about those. What about the drive belt issues? Is it true that proper break in will make those last? Also is there a stronger belt available that seemed to be working better? Any other issues to consider? Also found a good price on a '13 600 Pro. Anybody ride one of those and what are you're thoughts on them. Thanks!

I have a 12 now and just bought a 13. Im not overly worried about any of the "issues". I may put a 12 shaft in it in case I turbo it later. Just keep and eye on the arms (inspect each ride) and probably buy Timbersled after warranty is up. The 14 drive belt is different (supposedly 30% stronger?) so buy one of those and you have a backup. On the 600 if you do any kind of mountain riding I would not buy one. They just dont make enough power. Maybe ok for low-marking and light off-trail riding :face-icon-small-ton

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
My bro bought a 13 pro w/ 354 miles

drove it down the trail 14 miles, climbed 3 hills, on the 3rd hill he got 2/3 of the way up, QD belt sheared the cogs, and his sled rolled all the way down the hill. replacement belt $180, Pics of my Cat pulling him out priceless.
FYI if this happens to u , cut the sheared belt off, otherwise it pulls really hard.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I have found that towing out a sled, even a cat, is alot easier with the clutch belt removed - no cutting required. :gossip:.

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
check the back of the running boards to see if they are bent up ...this indicates that the dealers lifted sleds with a fork lift with the spars running under each running board ...i think polaris might have told dealers not to do this...if this is present you might have problems with the belt drive because the fork spars might have pushed up against the belt drive and caused problems

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Love the 2013 Pro

Get the 800. Plain and simple. We have had great luck with our 800 2013 Pro.
But which ever you choose, just take it easy on it for the first 100 miles or so. :face-icon-small-ton
Good luck!:face-icon-small-hap

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
drove it down the trail 14 miles, climbed 3 hills, on the 3rd hill he got 2/3 of the way up, QD belt sheared the cogs, and his sled rolled all the way down the hill. replacement belt $180, Pics of my Cat pulling him out priceless.
FYI if this happens to u , cut the sheared belt off, otherwise it pulls really hard.

Sounds like improper break in to me. Supposidly need 100 miles of easy riding to break the belt in properly.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I have a 12 now and just bought a 13. Im not overly worried about any of the "issues". I may put a 12 shaft in it in case I turbo it later. Just keep and eye on the arms (inspect each ride) and probably buy Timbersled after warranty is up. The 14 drive belt is different (supposedly 30% stronger?) so buy one of those and you have a backup. On the 600 if you do any kind of mountain riding I would not buy one. They just dont make enough power. Maybe ok for low-marking and light off-trail riding :face-icon-small-ton

Have you rode the newer 600 pro in the mountains? I weigh 220 lbs and rode a 13 600 all last year at 8-10,000ft and it ran great for a 600. It will not outclimb an 800 but it will get you everywhere. In my opinion if you don't care about being the highest on the hill the 600 is awesome.

snowjunkie82

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009

I would stick with the 13 shaft with clamps even in a turbo situation. I ran a 13 pro last year with a BD turbo. First ride out I twisted the original shaft off. Before the ride I tried the rivet fix after hearing there may be issues. Looking back I likely compromised the shafts integrity by doing this. At that point Polaris hadn't introduced the clamp fix so I went to the 12 shaft. It lasted about 400 miles before I twisted it off. After hearing that the clamped shafts seemed to be holding I went back to a 13 and rode the rest of the season with no issues. The sled now has about 850 miles on it and is still on the original QD belt.
Here is a link to the picture of the broken 12 shaft: http://www.snowandmud.com/polaris-pro-ride-450/broken-2012-shaft-78805.html#post1692364

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
13's also have a hot start bog. Not sure what causes it or if its on all the 13's or just some of them. Not really a huge issue, but it is annoying, anyone wanna elaborate on this? Is there a fix?

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
Have you rode the newer 600 pro in the mountains? I weigh 220 lbs and rode a 13 600 all last year at 8-10,000ft and it ran great for a 600. It will not outclimb an 800 but it will get you everywhere. In my opinion if you don't care about being the highest on the hill the 600 is awesome.

I have, I weigh 228. I rode a friends last year to decide on buying one for the wife. The only reason to buy one is for reliability and or cost. My experience is that most people are on an underpowered sled with too short of a track because "they dont need any more then that". If it suits your riding style I think thats the key, and after a season on one you would certainly know.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
195 lbs and rode my 600 all last year and did everything the 800's did for boon docking. We don't high mark so I cant speak on that. The 600 ran flawlessly and the only place it lacks; and it should is top end. You shouldn't buy a mountain sled for top end any way.

Premium Features