• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'12 etec exhaust valve nuts?

R
Nov 26, 2007
TB-MT
hey guys....i kno there is a bulletin to get these nuts checked by the dealer to make sure they dont loosen up....my question is ...to all those who have done it..is...did your sled start running differently before u took it in?...if so how did it run? tryin' to figure out what happened with mine yesterday...last 5 rides its been fine. yesterday (-15 degrees) ...it run like #$%@...bobbled frequently and wouldnt hold any rpm
thanks for any input/experiences!!

T
Jan 29, 2008
Yes, I was out yesterday with 3 buddies (all on 2012 XP's, all with +/- 1000 miles), I had the campaign done to "fix" the problem... All of our sleds were spitting and sputtering, seemed to be intermittent. Dealer said that it could also be a vacuum hose for the fuel injection system. Stock clamp is a POS, he mentioned adding a good pipe clamp would resolve issue.

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
Same issues after update

Not sure what happened, I took mine in to get the "update" and it's been coughing and sputtering ever since. Seems to only happen on the bottom end when you hammer on it, it bogs down 2-3 times then it seems to clear up. I was running a bike man can with no issues before doing the update. But I'm gonna try the stock can next trip out and see what happens. But I feel like its something mechanical and not just the can. Anybody else have this same problem?

R
Nov 26, 2007
TB-MT
thats where its occuring here too...bottom end when ya pin it to accel. bobbles 2-3 times then clears....but couldnt hold the rpm's that i'd been holding the last 5 rides in very comparable snow conditions...only major variable was temp. (-15) ..if i'd let the engine cool a bit before makin' a pull...i could hold 7600 (still 300 rpm short of what it had been)..on a hot engine pull, 7600 would fall to 7300 almost immediately.. running an HPS can and didnt have the issues until the the last ride...could it have anythign to do with the temp sensor on the can? building heat and/or losing heat too quickly?

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
Sounds like it could be a couple things, loose nuts in power valve, or a bad egt probe. Just from what I've read on here. I will be bone stock this weekend so I will know if its a issue with the sled, or the can giving weird temps. Fingers crossed.

C

Concrete Mike

Dec 11, 2008
Cranbrook
Hey Rookie23 ,your sled sounds like my 12freeride.I was chasing down an electrical problem and found the collum support from the clutch to the steering post had a broken tab.Did a temp fix and sled seemed good thought problem solved. A few rides later same problem, when i looked the brace had moved again. Sled is going to dealer tomorrow for check up and i orderd new frame parts. Starting to think clutchs are going out of allignment under heavy load which is causeing poor back shift.

M
Nov 16, 2009
Missoula, Mt
Had my '12 E-TEC update (re-flash) done and noticed a few rides later no temp. gauge? Not sure if it's something else and just a coincidence or did it go away with the update? Anyone else have similiar experience? Note: dealer replaced the temp. sensor with new and made no diff???

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Had my '12 E-TEC update (re-flash) done and noticed a few rides later no temp. gauge? Not sure if it's something else and just a coincidence or did it go away with the update? Anyone else have similiar experience? Note: dealer replaced the temp. sensor with new and made no diff???

I assume you have the gauge enhancement module? Thats the only way the '12 has a temp gauge. Might check the plug on the module to be sure it's still plugged in.

Premium Features