• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Options for my 2012 Pro Switchback Assault

06IQRMK

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
Looking for a couple opinions/info on this here. I bought a 2011 Switchback assault last year. I ride in iowa/wisconsin and go out west (wyoming/colorado) twice to three times a year. Loved the setup and the way the sled ran so i ordered a new one to use up my 1000$ "polaris cash" and get the 4 year warranty on it. There are two things that i wanted to change a little bit this go round. I want to get a bigger lug track under this thing... was thinking a 2.5 camo extreme or so? I have the 1 3/8 track for riding back home so im not concerned about trailability. Problem is... Nobody makes a 2.5 track for the 144 size.
The guys at tracks usa were very helpful suggesting that i could put some 2.86 drivers and then the 146" camo extreme for an assualt would fit under my sled. My question is, would this work? Do i just adjust the extra inch or so out with the tensioners? The tunnel looks like it would clear the 2.5 track alright...

Next problem... out west the switchback skis seemed to dive when i was boondocking with it if there was any hint that i wasnt 100% commited to whatever maneuver I was attempting. Several times i ended up with the front of the sled buried in the snow and i was laying on the hood wondering what the $#%$ happened. Is there a good fix for this? I talked to a guy out there at the time who was riding a pro rmk 155 and he said his was the same way... I dont want to throw huge powder skis on it because i do want to keep it versatile. Anyway... Your input is appreciated and looking forward to getting that new pro in the garage!!!

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
IMO... the track clearance is not that great with a 2.5" in a pro chassis...

This is my suggestion ... I'm checking to see if this year the track will be offered, as camplast said, in a version that does not require combo drivers.

This is a stellar track.

If this is the Assault 146 and you are doing so much "Cross over" riding with heavy trail use... Much of your lug failure is due to speed... the ch Ext will not be much better in that department.

I recommend a simple driver change (Avid or Wahl)... and run the #9087 2" lug Powder Max 146 x 15 x 2"lug ... Although this will not "Bolt In" it will, IMO, give you what you need.

It is a 2.86" pitch track BUT there are only 4 rows of involute drive nubs that would require a Wahl no slip or Avid (not the 'cat' style).

Next year that #9087 WILL be made as a bolt in for the 146's....when Camoplast does next years production run.

This track runs very well, we've installed it on two local sleds, and I feel that that It would meet your needs perfectly for your type of riding.

For an Iowa ditch banger/trail rider/mountain user... I would not recommend deleting the front cooler...Straight mountain... just fine IMO.

Some pics of it going into an IQ Assault... with 8 tooth drivers, The Pro Would be the same for install.

You can take up the extra slack in the adjusters or by running an offset axle.

The diving is probably related to the front track shock preload and limiter strap.

That skid is the same as the previous years SB's back to 2008...

Where do you have your limiter strap?

How much preload do you have on the front track spring?

Where are the clicker settings on the front track shock?

Are you a heavy rider?

1-23.jpg

2-20.jpg

3-15.jpg

4-8.jpg

5-7.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
As a side note... any of the 2.5" tracks do not hold up to high speed running on the trails... that will void the warranty on the track and Camoplast knows what to look for... so if you find yourself at home railing on a fast trail section with a 2.5" track.. dont be surprised if some of the paddles fall off... then or later when you are running in the deep when the damage was done weeks/months prior.

06IQRMK

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
specifics.

Im not exactly sure what the front track shock and limiter straps settings are... I am a little bit heavier rider i suppose 205+/- . Like i said this is/would be a mountain setup im looking for. I do have the 1 3/8 track that comes on these switchbacks. I ordered the sled with a 2" paddle track that comes with them. do you think this 2" powder track will be worth all the extra trouble over the stock 2" track? I do already gear down and re-spring for the mountains. Just want as much traction as i can get out in the powder.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I had a 144 2" camoplast challenger on my SB Assault and thought it was great. also had 20/42 gearing. I had the 146 2.4" series 5.1 on my 09 Assault and thought it was a bit to big and didn't clear well. If I had both those sleds out at the same time, I would have to say the '11 SB Assault w/ 144x2" would have walked all over the 09 SLP stage 3 Assault w/ 146x2.5". So my advice would be to go with the 2" and dont mess w/ your drivers...

As far as skis go, I had C&A XTXs on my '11 and loved them. The grippers from the '09 were great too. You could keep an eye out for a set of cheap grippers in the next few weeks... but yea ditch the stock skis. I'd recommend XTXs if you want to be able to float well and keep that aggressive steering on the trail.

my .02 :face-icon-small-coo

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I did not see you mention the 2" track in the first post..

Keep the 2" that you have on there... I think you will be impressed with it.

You use the term "out west" ... do you ride the sled at all for flatland and speed down hard trails?

06IQRMK

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
flatland

Yeah, back in iowa its not uncommon to run 60-70 mph all day long, but like i said... I switch tracks, back to the stock 1.375" paddle that comes on it.

I had to get away from having two sleds, so i am trying to put together the best all around combination without spending three days in the garage getting ready. I guess for this year i will probably keep the 2" paddle track, and try the gearing suggested above...
With those gears... what did you use for clutch springs?
I clutched exactly to polaris's recommendations last year and thought it ran great for the stock gearing, but wouldnt mind gearing down like i did with my assault.

Y

YamYboy

Apr 6, 2009
SC Wisconsin
I am doing the same thing right now, I have a 11 switchback assault with a 2" challenger, I ride Wisconsin ditches, UP and out west 2 times a year. The 2" track is a nice track but not for both worlds. I am also putting a silber turbo on as well. I changed my drivers to a 2.86 8tooth extrovert from avid. Have to cut about 1.75in of the rails to make them work, also need a anti-stab kit. I will be running the new 146 peak 2.5 2.86 track out west and for flatland I got a takeoff 146 09 assault track. I believe its a 2. 1/8 or 2.25 not sure. But Im going to try this on trail and may possibly cut it down. I got the track cheap so I figured I would try it. I also run scratchers about 75% of the time just to be safe. I'm not worried about the extra 2in of track, I had about 1.5 in of movement in my wheels yet and I can run it looser with extros now. I figure I should be able to do a complete track swap on the assault in an hr. Really simple once you do it.

I also run C/A XTs on my sled, work really well. As for my sled set up last year, I geared down to 19/42 and only changed my weights. Sled performed very well. But I think it could do even better with a taller lug.

Last edited:
S
Dec 9, 2009
I am doing the same thing right now, I have a 11 switchback assault with a 2" challenger, I ride Wisconsin ditches, UP and out west 2 times a year. The 2" track is a nice track but not for both worlds. I am also putting a silber turbo on as well. I changed my drivers to a 2.86 8tooth extrovert from avid. Have to cut about 1.75in of the rails to make them work, also need a anti-stab kit. I will be running the new 146 peak 2.5 2.86 track out west and for flatland I got a takeoff 146 09 assault track. I believe its a 2. 1/8 or 2.25 not sure. But Im going to try this on trail and may possibly cut it down. I got the track cheap so I figured I would try it. I also run scratchers about 75% of the time just to be safe. I'm not worried about the extra 2in of track, I had about 1.5 in of movement in my wheels yet and I can run it looser with extros now. I figure I should be able to do a complete track swap on the assault in an hr. Really simple once you do it.

I also run C/A XTs on my sled, work really well. As for my sled set up last year, I geared down to 19/42 and only changed my weights. Sled performed very well. But I think it could do even better with a taller lug.

Dude, you are pretty good if you can do it in an hour.

illadvised

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Looking for a couple opinions/info on this here. I bought a 2011 Switchback assault last year. I ride in iowa/wisconsin and go out west (wyoming/colorado) twice to three times a year. Loved the setup and the way the sled ran so i ordered a new one to use up my 1000$ "polaris cash" and get the 4 year warranty on it. There are two things that i wanted to change a little bit this go round. I want to get a bigger lug track under this thing... was thinking a 2.5 camo extreme or so? I have the 1 3/8 track for riding back home so im not concerned about trailability. Problem is... Nobody makes a 2.5 track for the 144 size.
The guys at tracks usa were very helpful suggesting that i could put some 2.86 drivers and then the 146" camo extreme for an assualt would fit under my sled. My question is, would this work? Do i just adjust the extra inch or so out with the tensioners? The tunnel looks like it would clear the 2.5 track alright...

Next problem... out west the switchback skis seemed to dive when i was boondocking with it if there was any hint that i wasnt 100% commited to whatever maneuver I was attempting. Several times i ended up with the front of the sled buried in the snow and i was laying on the hood wondering what the $#%$ happened. Is there a good fix for this? I talked to a guy out there at the time who was riding a pro rmk 155 and he said his was the same way... I dont want to throw huge powder skis on it because i do want to keep it versatile. Anyway... Your input is appreciated and looking forward to getting that new pro in the garage!!!

If you ask me, this sled should have came with Gripper Ski's and not the standard "rush" skis.

Have you tried adjusting the front skid mounting locations? I want to say guys with the 155's have been moving the skid to the upper holes to get on top of the snow better?

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I moved mine to the upper location when I put my 2" on. I was happy with it

nermk

Lifetime Membership
Sep 5, 2011
I ride in NH, VT Maine and Quebec and I run as much back country as possible, I do have to ride trails though:face-icon-small-fro and have a 2" track, it does hold up really well. I do always run scratcher to help keep it cool. I have hit 90 mph plus ( ticket to prove it) and I have never thrown a lug in 1200 miles. The stock skis belong in a pile in the garage. Put on the grippers or a set of C&A'S and the sled transforms. The Swithcback Assault is never going to be a RMK, but it can be a great Boondocking sled and a great sled for power line riding with a little set up time.

Premium Features