• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best bike for uder 5500.00

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
Since I'm getting my son into this I'll need to build one for myself. The bike budget itself would be 5500.00ish. Any thoughts on the best bike to start with? Mostly trees and powder (not super deep tho) Not much hard pack. I want a 4 stroke and electric start for sure....

Any help would be appreciated.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
13-15 KTM SX or XCF 450. Very strong bike in that era, tons of parts/accesories and really strong base as a snowbike. Should be a decent amount of them in your budget range.

If you could get into a 15.5+ one that would be better, those are even lighter and stronger motors, but would be harder to find one for that price that isnt totally burnt out.

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
13-15 KTM SX or XCF 450. Very strong bike in that era, tons of parts/accesories and really strong base as a snowbike. Should be a decent amount of them in your budget range.

If you could get into a 15.5+ one that would be better, those are even lighter and stronger motors, but would be harder to find one for that price that isnt totally burnt out.

16+ ktm or husky is hard to beat. Finding one for $5,500 might be tough, but they are out there.

Is there an amount of hours I should be worried about? Or ask more questions?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Is there an amount of hours I should be worried about? Or ask more questions?
Its not necassarily an hours things. I've had 200+ hour bikes that were rock solid and performaned and looked like new. Im talking things that aren't that old and super cheap tend to just be more thrashed, thrown down sat outside, etc. Poorly maintained bikes. so 5500 for a 16+ ktm thats not beat to **** is not the kinda deals you find in the spring. In the fall you might find one someone is just trying to get out of but is still in good condition

IMO 100 0hours is no big deal if the bike has been cared for. Obviously if you plan on riding it a bit and keeping it for a while, the less hours the fresher everything is across the board.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
16/17 YZ450 I bought a new 16 last year for 6600.00 so you should be able to find a good used one for 5500.00 or less. Whatever you buy DO NOT buy a bike with a wide ratio transmission

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
16/17 YZ450 I bought a new 16 last year for 6600.00 so you should be able to find a good used one for 5500.00 or less. Whatever you buy DO NOT buy a bike with a wide ratio transmission

Really? I was under the impression that I wanted a wide ratio?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Really? I was under the impression that I wanted a wide ratio?

Not for the type of riding you describe. A close ration trans will work better in the trees and powder with lower gearing It won't be as fast top end on the trail but who cares? I hate riding trails on a bike.

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
Not for the type of riding you describe. A close ration trans will work better in the trees and powder with lower gearing It won't be as fast top end on the trail but who cares? I hate riding trails on a bike.

Makes sense. Thank you.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
OLD BIKES

I WOULD BE LOOKING FOR A BIKE WITH LOW HOURS EVEN IF ITS OLDER, WIDE RATIO GOOD, CLOSED RATIO OLD UNUSED MX BIKES CHEAPER.
450-500 4 STROKES can't be ridden hard enough in the dirt to hurt the motor, bad motors are almost always lack of/poor/non existence maintenance. So you see a dirty oil drooling bike, walk, unless you like to rebuild motors.

I have used Yam yz,yam wr, ktm exc all worked great in the snow. How you set each bike up with the kit is key to having it work. Wratio / Closeratio, gearing setup can help either bike. I prefer wide ratio 6 speed out in the snow.

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
M
Jan 14, 2004
Is this the my KTM is uglier than yours thread? I didn't even know you could get blue plastic for a KTM. Its not even a nice blue, why wouldn't a guy put the stock plastic back in order to sell?

M5

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
Lol... I was thinking the same thing. I know its a cheap fix but to drive 5-6 hours round trip to look at a bike that I don't like the looks of is kinda hard. especially when I'm not in a hurry. If I was in the area that would be different.

Is this the my KTM is uglier than yours thread? I didn't even know you could get blue plastic for a KTM. Its not even a nice blue, why wouldn't a guy put the stock plastic back in order to sell?

M5

Premium Features