• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FIRST TO RIDE... PT-II ...2013 PRO RMK DEMO RIDE THIS MORNING... WOOOO HOOOO!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
OH YEA!!!

picture.php

Just got back.... Very nice...

The Chassis is, what I would term as ... Refined but not redesigned...They put more polish on an platform that I have grown to love.

The balance point was very smooth in comparison to the 2012"s... the belt is durable... I can tell you more a little later... got to get some food in my belly and a beer... We'll start posting up here in a bit!

Last edited:
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
little sticks and random debris isn't my main concern with the belt dive. see previous post... hopefully it is a non issue.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
I can tell you that it is absolutely bullet proof. Phatty ran over a stump and had to roll the sled over to get it out. over an hour later we started checking that sled out because it had developed a nasty vibration. Hopefully MH will post up the LOG..yes a log not a branch or twig, but a full on chunk of firewood that was wedged between the front of the bulkhead and track.

Hmmm, so there was enough room for a log to get sucked up in there? Now I haven't checked how much room there is on my '12, but I'm assuming not much... is this a sign that a 3" track may fit?

hopefully it will be very durable. i don't see it being an huge issue the first time you spend all day in 3 feet of fluff. i see an issue the next day after it has set outside all night (it isn't always possible to keep them in a heated garage. think back woods cabin or three/four day trip) the next morning the snow packed down around the belt drive and can has now frozen into a solid piece of ice. no big deal the first five minutes of the next day ride. but as the day progresses the can heats up, softens up the ice enough to break it into small pieces with the help of a bumpy trail or even normal riding but not enough to melt it completely, and the smaller pieces start getting eaten by the drive system. now, the first few chunks that go through the belt and gears probably won't be a big deal. but what about the 20th, or 100th, or #??. that could be and has the potential to drastically shorten the belt life. that is my concern. but, time will tell. hopefully i'll have the chance to really test this possibility out. although if i have one, i will be fairly confident that snow will not be getting into the area before it is even ridden. (hmmm, to start with, i believe mike taylor will be receiving a call and some money...)

pv

I hear you man. My earlier post was just a jab at the Doo guys who immediately said this belt drive was another case of the Polaris 900 engineers. Obviously 1 day of testing isn't gonna prove long term durability. (Although I'm sure they've had Burandt testing this for a while)

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I really doubt Polaris is going to say right off the bat that you can put the belt drive on the 2012. That would hurt sales. I have money they offer a kit at some point, but it will be about this time next year.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
To "theultrarider"...thumbs down for that?

Soooo..."yup" answers WHICH question?

Interview with Skadi:

Q: "Did it rain today, or was it sunny?"

A: "Well, I got up about 6:30 and I got the newspaper. Then I took a shower...you should have seen how dirty my hair was...Then I ate breakfast..and I went to work...and then....."

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
To "theultrarider"...thumbs down for that?
Mind your own biz. You don't know anything about how well Emily and I don't know each other.
Sorry Scott,
That was to be a big thumbs up, but between my big thumbs, lol so hard, and the tiny keyboard on my phone I punched the wrong button. That was a great comeback.

And yes, we are all jealous you get to take the new sled for a rip tomorrow! Ride it like a rental :)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Ok... heres where I am..

In the lodge .... taking a break from the people that I had a great ride-day with on some nice evolution of engineering. The rib-eye is on order... and not really wanting to do anything but relax and talk to new friends and old...

BUT...

I want to tell all of you what I felt today.

First off... I'll dive in and talk about the belt drive... I'm a sceptic ... of everything... from my coffee maker to my tools... and everything in between.

Going into the ride today...we were able to meet with the full cadre' of Polaris Industries engineers... and not the guys that decide what polish to put on a bolt but the "big picture" guys that manage the whole project.

I thought, going into it that I'd find something to beotch about with the belt drive...
So... that said... I took the opportunity to ride the 2012 for the first part of the day for a "baseline" of comparison.

Here is a picture of that will help me explain.

After Phatty used the sled that I switched-up to for a tree strength testing tool... I grabbed his 2013 for a spin out with Turbolover... we spent the next half an hour weaving through tight trees and having fun sidhilling the current hardpack with a soft underbelly... Balance when you "submarine" past the top layer of crust was challenging at best...

Well... I had a Vibration in the driveline that felt much like driver that was not meshing well with the track. For 30 minutes I rode it that way... but I thought to myself... "It's a rental".... drive it into the ground... ride it like a rented mule...I thought that I'd "break it" and show those guys in Roseau their Achilles heel... NOPE!

picture.php

Well after coming back to "base" and telling Jared to "ride that sukka and tell me what you think" ... He flopped it over and found a two-hour piece of firewood wedged against the bulkhead... took some work to get it out..but we did..

That sled would stop as soon as I got off the gas...the clutches were smoking... and I was convinced that the belt drive was stripped out...

Well.. we pulled the log out and rode around... no problem and no broken belt... And we hammered that thing... I drove the same sled back 10 miles to the lodge with zero issues and no vibration.

That sukka is tough. If that belt was going to break... I think that test would broken it.

My first post... More to follow tonight.

Now back to the rib eye.

keep the faith.

MH

Last edited:
S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Good lord! You rode it like that for two hours..... That's awesome!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Is that really MH?

I guess my biggest question on this thread is...
Is that really Mountainhorse in the picture that was posted earlier? I somehow conjured up an image in my mind of him having a giant white beard, and maybe a wand or something. Or I thought he might have been a robot that Polaris created to help the general public understand their product. I don't know, probably was just me.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I guess my biggest question on this thread is...
Is that really Mountainhorse in the picture that was posted earlier? I somehow conjured up an image in my mind of him having a giant white beard, and maybe a wand or something. Or I thought he might have been a robot that Polaris created to help the general public understand their product. I don't know, probably was just me.
thats him..skinny little runt isnt he...

somehow I missed the ride invite he sent out...go figure...

Premium Features