• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 carbon altitude helmet breath box issues, replacements

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i got a new 509 carbon fiber altitude helmet. the helmet itself is light, easy to see out of, and fits like a glove. the breath box leaves alot to be desired. right away i thought it was my face that must be "oddly shaped". then i let 2 other guys try it on and they had the same results. the box itself sits too far away from your nose. if you pull it closer to your nose, it "swings" up and is damn near covering your eyes (because of the way it is attached). myself and 2 others had the same results. although they never rode sled with the helmet on, i did for 1 day and it fogged my goggles so bad i either had to ditch the breath box or the goggles. i used to have a 3-4 year old 509 helmet (made by AFX) with an AFX breath box, and the ONLY time i fogged up was if i kept the helmet/goggles on while trying to dig out of a stuck. i could sit and talk all day long with it on with no fog issues.

has anyone else had this issue? did you find another breath box that fits in the altitude helmet, and works better?

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Removed the breath box on my 509, use the Klim Arctic Balaclava and it works a lot better.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Removed the breath box on my 509, use the Klim Arctic Balaclava and it works a lot better.

x2

Breath boxes were invented purely for entertainment purposes; to watch others fidget with them until they go postal. If you're riding the mountains, just use a neck warmer. If riding cold trails, get a Klim Arctic balaclava. If your goggles fog up, they're probably 509s. Throw them away and get real goggles.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
as i stated, my old helmet/breath box worked great. i have 3 different brand of goggles, and they all worked with that helmet setup. now i go with a lighter, carbon helmet and cant get neither of the 3 brands of goggles to work. no breath box is "ok", but goggles still fog when i am going slow, and fog bad when i stop.

Premium Features