• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

174" x 2 1/2" with stock Drivers???

Oct 14, 2008
Eureka, Montana
What kind of luck and or problems are people having running the 174 x 3" pitch track on the stock 2.86" Drivers. Is it really necessary to go to 3" Drivers, they seem so to be almost the same? Please help i'm getting ready for the big swap.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
stock drivers

Ive been running them on mine for two years no with zero issues.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
I was told that the cogs won't sit fully threw the Windows of the track meaning it its pulling on the top half of the cog. The spacing is different. After continuous use it will ware down the cogs on the drivers. Thus clearancing itself. Or could it stretch the windows on a clipped every 2-3 track?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
What kind of luck and or problems are people having running the 174 x 3" pitch track on the stock 2.86" Drivers. Is it really necessary to go to 3" Drivers, they seem so to be almost the same? Please help i'm getting ready for the big swap.

Take a 2.86 driver and a 3" driver and set them in a 3" pitch track....wrap the track around the driver and you will see why it's better to run the correct driver. Yes, it will work....but it can only drive off one lug at any time rather than meshing with every lug. Some guys that ride alot of miles have seen enough wear that they had to keep tightening their track to keep it from ratcheting...when they switched to the correct drivers they noticed it to be smoother and just seemed to work better.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.

Changing to the proper drivers will eventually be a cost effective decision. The cost of the damage to the 2.86 drivers, possible track damage, let alone the vibration(wether noticed or not)damage to the drive system could be more. Do it right so you can get all the performance out of the 174.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
The stock drivers on doos suck *** any ways. you have to run the track fairly tight for it not to ratchet on a stock sled. I put a turbo on my xp and had to run the track really tight for it not to ratchet. Way too tight. it eventually started ratcheting with it almost string tight. then it spun the drivers on the shaft so that they didn't even line up the same any more.
On my m8 I could run almost 3" of free sag and it never ratcheted. Avid makes a really nice driver for the xp's.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
looking at buying a used track...how do you know the difference from the 3in or the 2.86 pitch

Well you need to know what you have on your sled now first off. Then what track are you looking to put on to your sled? The person that has the used track should know what pitch it is, the pitch is determined by how far the inside clogs are apart from each other. Hope this helps

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The 174" tracks give the most traction of all the tracks... and the most load on the drivers.

Why not have the correct combo IMO if you are going to all that effort.

The "Arctic Cat" style drivers that Avid sells will turn more smoothly than the stardard Avid or Doo drivers.. no Metal to driver contact... only rubber to driver contact.. Plus the involute portion of the driver will seat deeper into the involute driver nubs on the track so that the teeth will not have to engage the clips unless it is starting to ratchet...more efficient smoother driver design.

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
Loose tracks

Why would anybody run your track so loose....? If your track is that loose... you are making a big mistake.. Loose tracks are slow!!!!! If your track is so loose that it ratchets,,,,,, weather you have 3.0 pitch or 2.86 pitch drivers is the least of your problems. Tight is right..

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
if you have to run your track so tight that it only sags a 1/2" or so when you pick the sled up from the bumper it is way too tight. I had the track so tight that when I tried to pull it onto my buddies open trailer in my driveway the track would just skid across the concrete and not even roll.
that is how tight I had to have the track for it not to ratchet with the turbo on. 3" of free sag is too much, but I had my track that loose on my m8 and it never ratcheted once.
the stock drivers on these xp's are POS. Get some avids.

K
Jan 21, 2009
Why would anybody run your track so loose....? If your track is that loose... you are making a big mistake.. Loose tracks are slow!!!!! If your track is so loose that it ratchets,,,,,, weather you have 3.0 pitch or 2.86 pitch drivers is the least of your problems. Tight is right..

Sorry but I have to disagree. Tight and there is more resistance. I have at least 2 1/2" of sag, and I can turn the track when rear of sled is suspended with a finger. When the track is tight I have to use both hands to get it to turn. Plus you are wearing out sliders, bearings, and tracks twice as fast. So no, tight is not right.

PS, Get the correct drivers from Avid and you save yourself headache and grief.

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
Tight

We have 8 turbo XP's. Some setup for drag racing. Some setup for the steep and deep. None of them have had a problem with ratcheting. Even with 10 lbs of boost. Look at your track when you are running at high speeds. It becomes a snake. It starts hitting the slides and wheels in all the wrong places. This causes SO much drag. Static pull is way different than at high speeds. Snakes are SLOW!

I guess if you are crazy tight,,, not good. Factory spec isnt to bad.

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I don't believe in having the track so tight that it drags across the pavement and won't spin.
I could see what you are talking about hapening and runing a tight track on a asphalt drag sled. But not on a sled in the snow. My sled runs pretty damn good on 10lbs of boost. It is never enough though. going to try a 11.4lb spring in the wastegate this year. :face-icon-small-hap

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
Who did the setup for your 10 lb boost XP? As in a stock setup,,,, the setup for a turbo sled makes all the difference.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
what do you mean by who did my setup?
I do all of my own work. I have a factory service manual and use it. Only time it was to a dealer was a few months after I bought it. they wouldn't warranty the clutch because a cotter pin from a after market clutch kit broke. Dalton weight pin kit. They were kind enough to cross thread a puller in my primary and break it off. Then tell me I owed them $70 for pulling my primary and that it didn't matter that the puller broke off in the primary because I needed a whole new primary for $1,500+ dollars and it wouldn't be under warranty. Took it back another time to have the drive shaft updated and they were kind enough to use a pipe wrench on my dynomo joe helix to remove the belt. :rant:
I built the turbo kit, and tuned it. Runs great. Not mutch on it that is stock.
Cpi turbo pipe, garrett 2871 dbb turbo with tial stainless turbine houseing. tial 38mm mvs waste gate, tial q bov. dynomo joe clutching with his mountain ramps in primary and his helix in secondary. timber sled skid, and 155x2.5 challenger extreme track. stock skid sucked horribly with turbo on 7lbs boost. always leaning over the front and feathering the throttle in a climb to keep the front end down.

Last edited:
K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
Sounds like a cool sled.. And a crappy dealer. What dealer is this? I am very lucky. I am in the same town as my dealer. He is a good one. I just put the 174 in track on my 2011 xp. Made my own extention, iceage rails, 10.5 big wheels. Look forward to trying it out this year. I might need a good port job to pull it,,, we will see.

my174.jpg

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Sounds like a cool sled.. And a crappy dealer. What dealer is this? I am very lucky. I am in the same town as my dealer. He is a good one. I just put the 174 in track on my 2011 xp. Made my own extention, iceage rails, 10.5 big wheels. Look forward to trying it out this year. I might need a good port job to pull it,,, we will see.

Ice Age could have made you custom rails to accomodate those 10.5 wheels.

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
Ice Age could have made you custom rails to accomodate those 10.5 wheels.

Thanks,,, I know.. I had the brackets.. So saved a little.. If I need to sell the rails, will be easier.. Not to much call for 10.5 wheel rails.. Only from here..

Premium Features