• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Going to a 174" !!!!

Oct 14, 2008
Eureka, Montana
I'm Going to a Challenger Extreme 2.5 x 174 from a 163, what Rail extentions have people used???? How about Tunnel extentions???? Gonna throw on a big wheel kit too. Thanks!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
We got everything from Avid for the 174-2.5" last year, this year we did the 3" paddle and did a longer extension, Iceage rails and extended the cooler (thanks Fastrax!). All worked well. I would avoid the bigwheels, more leverage on the bearings, less track on the ground and they will almost certainly hit the tunnel with the taller lugs. You will be impressed!! :face-icon-small-hap

D
Oct 13, 2008
We got everything from Avid for the 174-2.5" last year, this year we did the 3" paddle and did a longer extension, Iceage rails and extended the cooler (thanks Fastrax!). All worked well. I would avoid the bigwheels, more leverage on the bearings, less track on the ground and they will almost certainly hit the tunnel with the taller lugs. You will be impressed!! :face-icon-small-hap

I have been running 9" wheeles for 3 years with zero problems. Maybe just lucky:noidea:. It will however give a very quick rub on a steep creek or ditch crossing,but it is minimal and does not ever rub in any other situations.

TWARD700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle WA
I've been running a 174 2.5 for a year now and it works great. Rooster built clutching, 20/51 gearing, sop pipe and head. It climbs great and in the woods works even better.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
If anyone doubts that the XP won't pull a 174 with authority they need to go for a ride with the Rooster Built fellas or swing a leg on one of the XPs they've set up-you will be thoroughly convinced that it works!
We have tunnel extensions and can extend your cooler for you if you choose that route.

curt

Oct 14, 2008
Eureka, Montana
Thanks guys!

I got a pretty good handle on what i need, should be a pretty sweet ride when i'm done, gonna do some powder coating while i have it apart, and throw in a head and slp y-pipe and pipe, i'll post some pic's as the project progresses, but SHHHHHH don't tell the rest of my buddies, i plan on keeping it a surprise! :face-icon-small-win

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I got a pretty good handle on what i need, should be a pretty sweet ride when i'm done, gonna do some powder coating while i have it apart, and throw in a head and slp y-pipe and pipe, i'll post some pic's as the project progresses, but SHHHHHH don't tell the rest of my buddies, i plan on keeping it a surprise! :face-icon-small-win

Soooooooooo........ how is the swap coming? :face-icon-small-win

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
we rode with a 174 by 3 inch on a 800r stocker last year, it had lots of traction but was a real dog to drive, it had much slower track speed but had the traction, was not the best play sled, more of a work horse

the 3 inch takes alot of hp to get its full potenial, then add a 174 and it becomes a real handful to handle, almost to much in the trees i would think for 90 percent of the riders

one thing i have seen over the years is that good clutching can only do so much and if you dont have the hp or tq even the best clutching will not help much

to me running a stocker with that big of track is like pissing your money away, even a 860 does not have the power for that big a track, we seen it last year over and over, this year he is going back to the 162 by 3 from the longer 174

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
If you are used to a 163 you will notice little to no difference in handling. You will however notice a huge difference in deep snow performance:face-icon-small-hap

I found this to be not true as i went from 163 to 174 and you know the extra track is back there.
Take a pull with mine up a hill and through the trees and then take a 163 and quite abite different.
Just my findings and as you say great in the deep snow and would not do back to 163 x 2.5 but would like to try the 163 x 3 to see the difference for myself and this is doing to happen this year as buddy is installing the drop and roll and 3 x 163.

D
Oct 13, 2008
I found this to be not true as i went from 163 to 174 and you know the extra track is back there.
Take a pull with mine up a hill and through the trees and then take a 163 and quite abite different.
Just my findings and as you say great in the deep snow and would not do back to 163 x 2.5 but would like to try the 163 x 3 to see the difference for myself and this is doing to happen this year as buddy is installing the drop and roll and 3 x 163.

Maybe I am just used to it. I have been running the 174 for 3 years now and the 162 for a few before that. When I jump on the wifes 162 it feels about the same to me. Fred I think that there is quite a bit of difference in how well a stock sled can turn a 174 x 2.5 vs a 174 x 3". I do agree that more power is always better, but have seen plenty of stock sleds turn the 174 x 2.5 plenty well. Also seen a stock sled pull the 174 x 3" good enough that we went from trading marks to me not even being close and the track was the only change. Then he put in a BB and it is now bye, bye. Just saying it can be made to work just fine, but as we all know once you get used to your newest mod you will always want another one. Start with the traction and then add the power accordingly to the size of your kahones.

Last edited:
Premium Features