• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Letter to Park County Search & Rescue, Part 2

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C
Nov 26, 2007
CONTINUATION OF LETTER

The “hasty team” members from Cooke City S+R are the best of the best, these people always provide their volunteer services at a moments notice and on January 17, when the back side of Crown Butte slid it was not an exception. The “hasty team” are the people who are putting themselves at risk at the initial report when they leave and honestly don’t know what they are headed into but that doesn’t stop them, they are called, they leave, they assess and they make judgment calls. What is amazing to me is that these people responded, they assessed and they asked for more people to probe and this is where your problem arose…………you denied these people what they needed; but you went one step further, someone called around and asked people to respond to the fire hall, and even though your hasty team was diligently attempting to search a huge avalanche, you gathered people from all over this country, people from Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, California, North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan and who knows where else~~~~~~~~~you gathered these people and then said “you can’t go”. Someone actually had the audacity to tell these volunteers that they would have to wait an hour and a half for someone to arrive in Cooke City to assess whether or not these volunteers could go on the hill, someone actually said this out loud.

You had a USFS person, who agreed with the assessment of the “hasty team” members, come from the site to the fire hall requesting probes and people to use them; you sent probes but nobody to use those probes ~ so you have a few people with a probe in each hand instead of a lot of people with one probe searching more area.

Now, you had the “hasty team” on the hill, their assessment was done, they needed help, they needed bodies to run probe poles, but someone coming in from Livingston or Gardiner to sit in the fire hall was going to assess whether or not the team needed help on the hill???? Is this your learning curve? Is this what I went through with my son when he was maybe eight years old?

On the evening of January 17, had you allowed the volunteers to search the hill as requested by the “hasty team”; had you allowed the probe line to go from an estimated 15 people to an estimated 60 people; had someone at the fire hall taken command of the situation by trusting the people on the “hasty team” who requested more people to probe; had someone used some basic old common sense, I bet you’d have had your victim out that night, but we‘ll never know will we? Don’t probe lines start at the toe? How long was the probe line going on the 18th ~ and I don’t mean the logistical time of meeting at the fire hall, talking, planning and dispatching, I mean actually probing, when the victim was located? You do the math.

The victim’s wife would not have been spared the death of her husband, but she would not have had to spend that extra night wondering, just wondering………………….

This is about the victims, not just the ones in the physical crisis, but about all the victims.

Don’t think that I don’t understand liability issues, don’t think that I don’t understand that no one wants responsibility for anything. We make our living renting snowmobiles, we know liability issues, we know about people signing waivers to release us from liability, we know logistical issues ~ but ~ we also know common sense.

Park County Search and Rescue expects Cooke City’s best to respond, putting themselves in danger at times, in order to assess for S+R and then they are slapped down because someone has to “make a decision” who is going to drive in from somewhere else who perhaps has never been to an avalanche, perhaps has never touched a probe pole, perhaps has never even seen an avalanche and it‘s devastation first hand; let’s face it, the decisions are made on that hill, whomever is sitting at that fire hall should be answering to the people on the hill ~ those people sitting at the fire hall that don’t have a clue as to what is at the site should not be making the judgment call as to what is allowed to happen on the hill.

Your system is broken.

I cannot even begin to tell you how many of your rejected volunteers came to talk with me at the station to ask me for excuses for Park County Search & Rescue, people wanting to volunteer to help probe to “just get the guy out”; I cannot explain to you the frustration of the people, they wanted to volunteer, they wanted to help take care of their own ~ snowmobilers do that, they take care of their own. They were asking me if they could go without the blessing of the “officials at that fire hall”. They wanted to know why they had been called to volunteer and then sent away, they wanted to know why no one down at the fire hall would answer their questions, their entirely legitimate questions. I will not make excuses for your bureaucracy.

The people who were fortunate enough to be vacationing here in Cooke City last weekend when this crisis occurred are, quite frankly, pissed off at the ineptitude (their words, not mine) of the officials of Park County Search and Rescue.

Your request for additional manpower went out, your request was answered, you didn’t utilize the people that were available, willing and able that were so badly needed on the hill.

If this had been the first time I had witnessed and been a part of such a situation I would not be contacting you; however, this is what always happens. As I stated at the beginning, this letter is a result of years of frustration with an organization that I think should have had its act together many years ago.

Just so there is no misunderstanding as to the intent of my letter I can state that clearly here; in the event of an avalanche the members of the hasty team are the only people that actually know the situation which needs to be dealt with, those people are assessing with their own eyes what the circumstances are and they need to be trusted with their assessment as it is reported to whomever is sitting at the fire hall. Egos need to be laid to rest, direction of the search needs to be taken from the people actually at the scene. The pomposity of some Park County Search and Rescue personnel at the fire hall with statements such as “we are in charge” and “if we need you we will tell you” must stop; this is not an ego trip and quite frankly if the job is getting done on the hill the attitudes of the support staff are quite irrelevant. Avalanche situations are high stress for everyone involved and Park County Search and Rescue staff exuding attitudes of self importance are out of line. We are all dealing with victims families and volunteers here.

I am thankful for the people of Cooke City who care enough to form a “hasty team”, I am thankful for the snowmobilers who come into this town who are willing to volunteer for a task as grim as a probe line, I am thankful that there is some common sense among those of us who live here who understand the severity and urgency of an avalanche dispatch; I am thankful that we understand what a victim is.

I know that the next time someone comes into Cooke City Exxon to report an avalanche I will dispatch a “hasty team” to do an assessment and record the same; I will then call 911 to report location; maybe it will be your wife, husband, son, daughter or friend…………..and then I will wait…….

What will Park County Search and Rescue do?

Concerned Citizen of Cooke City, Montana,

Susan Jack
Cooke City Exxon

Beartoothclimb

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hailey, ID
Very well said. If i can support you in any way, let me know.

edit: found this in the avalanche accident report. seems like a lot of links in the chain.

SEARCH AND RESCUE:

The avalanche happened at approximately 1730. The members of the party immediately conducted a through beacon search but detected no signal. One of them activated the 911 feature on a SPOT device. This action notified the International Response Center which contacted Carbon County who contacted Yellowstone National Park who contacted Livingston Dispatch. A Hasty Team provided the initial response that evening and did not locate the victim. The following day more rescuers were mobilized for probe teams, and two avalanche dog teams responded. By afternoon one of the dogs indicated a possible location, the handler probed in that spot, and she found him. He was extricated from the debris, packaged, and taken to the firehall in Cooke City.

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
There is no common sense in Government. Any aspect of it. There are always too many chains of command to go through. What would have happened if these sledders would have just went up there and found the guy and brought him down on there own. Would they have tried to arrest 30 or 40 people? I am so tired of all the PC crowd and what I like to call the safety nazis. They have permiated every aspect of our culture and common sense has been thrown to the way side.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
glad to see somebody has taken the time to arrange a very organized and polite letrer to explain to them what they do versus what NEEDS to be done.

its a joke that they can tell people they are not needed when all that is needed is manpower.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Spot on!!!!

great job!!! Several communities have formed their own notification groups, that act in stealth and are notified prior to S&R and most of these groups are made up of former S&R folks who tired quickly of the bickering about jurisdiction and "Lead" group...

too mcuh of that goes on, and not enough focus on minimizing inervals of response...literally minutes and seconds make a difference...

the books also need to be re-written based upon a avy burial of a person in the Flathead Valley last year, who was buried for nearly 8 hours and SURVIVED!!!!!!!

it was not a body recovery, it was a SAVE!!!!!!!

T
Nov 27, 2007
MISSOULA
Well Said Sue!!

Sue great job of putting all of this past weekends happenings on paper and showing it to those that most need to see it!! The situation this weekend in Cooke really made me open my eyes and see what i need to do if the unthinkable ever happens to me or any one in my group, like we spoke about on the night of the slide. i totally agree with you and the utmost importance of the "hasty team". Thank you for all of your efforts and for all that you do for all of us "out-of-towners" that come and enjoy all that Cooke City has to offer!! Thank You,
Pete Servel
a.k.a. TEAMWTF

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Sue,

I fully understand your angst.

I was a member, and a leader of Sheriff's Department SAR squad for more than 5 years.

The red tape involved with a government sponsored SAR squad is incomprehensible. Fear of lawsuits, fear of repercussions, etc.

You are absolutley right regarding ego's, pride, and the like. "We gotta be by the book." "We gotta keep things within the chain of command." "We don't need any problems"

These are great policies to follow in a "recovery" situation. A situation where a victim has been missing for 2 weeks +.

A rescue situation is a different ballgame.

To me, in an emergency situation, it's no holds barred. I don't care if they send me to prison after a search... if I screw something up, I can always believe I did my best. If the victim's family takes everything I own in a lawsuit, I can sleep knowing I tried. If the victim is rescued alive and well - I simply did what I swore to do.

I did my job, and can be proud - no matter the ramifications. Life for the individual goes on.

I resigned as a Lieutenant of my SAR squad 2 years ago for the very reasons you have outlined in you posts.

I believe that too often SAR leaders, and the upper eschelon forget the motto of all SAR units:

"It is my duty as a SAR worker to save life and aid the injured. I will perform my assigned duties quickly and efficiently, placing these duties before personal desires and comforts.
These things I do, that others may live.

These things I do, that others may live....

I cannot explain to this day...​

...the gravity this motto holds for me is inexplicable.​

I will ALWAYS put the well being, safety, and importance of my fellow man above myself, and EVERYTHING ELSE. At whatever cost -​

because it is simply; the right thing to do.​

As I write this, it brings me to tears. To think - that ANYTHING is more important than life...​

Jeff​

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Bighorns Wyoming
Bravo Moto And I second that EVERY WORD!! Sue I dont know you from anyone but I glad to know that if its me under the snow in cooke. You will be there to send the Hasty team to try and save me !! Thank you

hilpulr

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Corvallis MT
Couldn't agree more!!!

Sue- Very well written letter. It was great to meet you and talk to you at the Exxon this weekend. Myself and my sledding partners couldn't agree more with what you have to say. We where glad to offer our assistance and will always be there to help a fellow sledder in need of help. I hope that this letter reaches some people that actually read it and take it under consideration. Thanks again Glen

S

Spud

Mar 5, 2003
Lewistown,MT-USA
interesting read, true but very sad. everyone that I hang with here locally will NEVER call S&R but instead have a circle of our own that is notified if anyone of us is ever in distress. Too many loop holes with those people = too much lost time!:mad:

B
Nov 26, 2007
No reason to wait for the Park County Search and Rescue to figure out what is up from down.

Do the right thing and let common sense prevail

GOOD SAMARITAN LAW

Good Samaritan laws are meant to protect those who come to the aid of others for no other reason than kindness. Good Samaritan laws only help if the rescuer (or would-be rescuer) is acting without any expectation of reward. In other words, if you are getting paid to rescue then you aren't a good Samaritan. Paid rescuers are expected to do their jobs correctly and can be held accountable for mistakes.

Depending on the state, getting rewarded after the fact can also count as expectation of reward. If you help someone at a car accident and then are rewarded monetarily or otherwise, you may be excluded from good Samaritan protection.

In some states, good Samaritan laws only cover medically trained rescuers, while other states extend protection to the general public. The good Samaritan concept is commonly applied in the courts, which means a case going that far may still be ruled in favor of the rescuer who was trying to help. What good Samaritan laws do for rescuers is provide a get-out-of-court-free card. In other words, unpaid rescuers may prevail in court with or without a good Samaritan law, but it's a lot cheaper if they have the protection.

The best way to protect yourself from possible liability when helping others is to always act on behalf of the victim. That may sound obvious, but if your motivation is to be a hero and not to help out a fellow human, then you risk making the types of mistakes not covered by good Samaritan laws.

Here are some good tips for staying out of court:

Take a CPR and first aid class
Follow your training
Use common sense
Don't do anything you're not trained to do
Get professional help for the victim
Do not accept gifts or rewards
Good Samaritan laws do not protect you from everything. It is human nature to make mistakes. Good Samaritan laws take this into account and protect helpful citizens if the mistakes made are reasonable.

Since defining "reasonable" is so difficult -- even those covered under the good Samaritan law may find themselves defending a lawsuit. Luckily, most lawyers make judgments about when to file lawsuits based on an examination of their return on investment. Since the plaintiff doesn't usually pay up front, the lawyer must decide to take the case on contingency. That means "reasonable" is defined by the lawyer. Believe it or not, that's good. It means those lawsuits that will most likely lose in court won't ever get there.

I.P.Yellow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Good job and very well written letter Sue. I witnessed the backwardness of the USFS when we volunteered for the rescue on Sunday. When we went back to town to sign up at the fire hall we were told to wait for about an hour. I didn't know why we had to wait but we did. Meanwhile, Robert (LSB) showed up and said he would take our group up. There was 11 in our group at the time. As we were about to leave a Forest Service person comes over and tells us that we need to take some radio transmission equipment up top. Robert questioned this because he said Cooke City Search and Rescue's transmitter worked just fine and it would be a waste of valuable time to pack, let alone set this equipment up. The Forest Service guy prevailed so we began to tie stuff onto our sleds. Thank goodness Jason showed up with the Viking so we put the heavy stuff on that sled so we didn't have to try and strap it onto our sleds. When we got up to Daisy we unloaded and waited for the guy to set up, then we descended the hill and started our lesson on how to find Travis. We wasted valuable time in town and at the top of Daisy due to the upper hands trying to prevail instead of common sense. When we run into an emergency in our own private lives whether at home or work we respond with the quickest solution available. This was not the case here. I feel that when the USFS stepped in on this rescue they treated it like it was no big deal. I have been riding Cooke several times per year since the mid 90's. I have never sledded anywhere else other than back home. I can see that the locals are very courteous and I have gotten to know them quite well. Their Search and Rescue team does an awesome job and definately needs to be commended for the great job they do. I know this since I saw it first hand on Sunday. Good job everyone! Rick

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
very nice letter. as one of the people who actually made up to daisy to help probe saturday night, i can tell you that we would have found him if another twenty to thirty people were allowed up there. with all the willing and able bodies in cooke that night its too bad the goverment has to be so worried about lawsuits and injuries that they wont let fellow snowmobilers help search for a friend. its just disgusting

O

outlaw11j

Dec 10, 2007
Rocklin, CA
Great letter Sue,
Come to Cooke every year from Cal. Can not tell you how many runs at that hill I have made. Tracks can give a false sense of security.
Could have been me up there. And I agree. I would have wanted every able body to get me off the hill just for the sake of my wife.
Hasty Team should have been able to make the call. A local should be appointed to the position that lives on the hill, if that is what has to be.
We will be there the last week of March this year and I hope that your letter will change the chain of command to where it needs to be. The first on the hill. Thank you for your efforts.
Wish I was there to help...

Premium Features