• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m8 or 09 d8 looking for honest opinions

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
Well here it is guys im having a hard time deciding which sled to buy this year for a trusty second sled as im going to boost my 08 d7 this winter for the fun sled. Ive done all kinds of research on each of them and i have many buddies who have the 08d8 163 dragons and had no issues with them and love them. Now i had a m1000 last year also for a little bit but it didnt impress me but i liked the chasis, so my question is that if anyone had the choice would you buy the 09m8 or the 09 d8 both in dragon and snopro form. I like the m8 because my dealer here is always wanting me to try out new stuff for it no charge, not so simple for the d8 here. Did anyone see them side by side last year and were they in close comparison for climbing? Just looking for honest opinions no this one is better than that one because in my opinion they are all overpriced and ont last as long as they used to.Thanks in advance Dwayne

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Don't know about the cats but the 09 D's are better than the 08's in several ways...most you can read about in sales literature. Rode an 09 proto in the spring but in freak dump of powder snow. Enough different that I sold my 08 & bought an 09. The relocation of the front swaybar makes a big diff. in handling. Shocks are better, track lighter, etc. They don't need much to make them run, SLP pipe, Carl's porting, clutch kit are a good add.

M
May 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I rode a 08 Dragon and loved the way it handled, much better for me than the M8. Buddy is waiting on an 09 D8 if they've improved it I think I'll be looking for one next yr. You should buy one then I'll buy it from you in a yr.:beer;

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
d8

I rode a 08 Dragon and loved the way it handled, much better for me than the M8. Buddy is waiting on an 09 D8 if they've improved it I think I'll be looking for one next yr. You should buy one then I'll buy it from you in a yr.:beer;

how true if i even keep it a year lol, it shouldnt have any miles on it since ill be ridin my boosted d7 probobaly. I still really like the m8 also, i ahve a d8 snow checked but can get out of it if i need to. There are a few extra m8 sno pros also coming in. Oh what to do..

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
I just finished reading the new American Snowmobiler I believe it was. The new 09 M8 is 22 lbs lighter with a brand new track design. Lots of good comments on it.
I would probably prefer the Poo 800 motor but I'd say the M8 chassis is better.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Rode both last spring, M8 felt light and handled like a dream in the Powder, telescopic handle bars are a must, the track performed well in the powder day we had. Still a little under powered IMO. Did not care for the way it handled on the flat seemed to have a lot of ski pressure and was hard to turn on HP trail idling around. Could have been setup though. Seating felt very confortable to me. Easy to roll on it's side.

D8 similar in powder handling except going down hill. Still seemed to me it still wants to dive just a bit. This could have been setup too. Climbing and whipping through the trees is neck and neck with the M8. Seating felt similar except for the lack of the adjustable handle bars. Power it felt like it had more power out of the box expecially on the bottom (snappy). Stearing on the flats seemed easier than the M8 on HP this also could have been setup though. It did seem to me it was not quite as easy to flip around over all in the pow, this could have been the weight difference between the sleds.

I do not think you could go wrong with either sled it really depends on the service of the dealers in your area. If you have better service with one vs the other then I'd go that route. For me I ended up choosing the M8 for 3 major reasons. 1 the sled is 20 lb less than the D8, 2 I felt going down hill the sled for me was a bit easier to handle in the powder, 3 it came with a boss seat and 4th i guess is I still don't fully trust poo with warrenty issues or sled defects. My last sled was a sno checked 03 escape and it had warrenty issues along with the case/crank issue. I was pretty weary by the time I got done battling with poo over the issues so this time around I went to Cat and see how they do. Both are good sleds and I think you'll love either one of them. Good luck.:beer;:beer;

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
although i am die hard polaris, id say try out the m8. especially since you already have one polaris, and the cat dealer is willing to work with ya.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
ttt

thanks guys, im just waiting to hear if i can get the deal that the snochecked guys got on the m8 or someone to bail on their snocheck, we will see what comes out of it.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I'd say 2 things. First having 2 sleds that are different makes is a pain in the azz when buying parts and having to goto different stores. Also a good dealer is worth his weight in gold. Both sleds are extremely nice and you will love either one. I would base my decision on dealer support.

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
I wish I could be more help but I like both of them. I haven’t rode the D8 but I rode the D7 last year and liked the way it handled. My wife has an 07 M8 that I love. But the 09 should be twice the machine. I guess pick the color that you like. Also the dealer would be the clincher.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I have been a Poo man for many years. With that said when choosing between those two sleds, It would certianly come down to dealer. Parts availability and good guys to deal with. That would be the deal maker or breaker. The only other thing would be the fact that you probably already have a garage full of extra parts and speciallized tools, if so, that would add in as well. When it comes down to sleds themselves, they are so close that the other issues is the deciding factor for me. Hope this helps you.
Tim

S
Aug 20, 2008
North Idaho
I own an M8 . . . It's an awesome machine, I have had some amazing rides with it. My only complaint is that it loads up at low RPM, and don't have the throttle response like my XP. I beleive that you won't be dissapointed with an M8.

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
I have ridden the M8 and the D8. Both are good sleds but different. D8 seat is narrow and sled feels tippy. You can put it on its side real easy but it wants to either go all the way over or back upright. D8 motor has good feel good power on bottom. M8 feels more stable when riding. 2009 m8 motor is more snappy than the previous 08 model has a ton of torque. You can pull the M8 over and it stays where you put it untill you are ready to upright it.
I went with the M8 cause it was cheeper to buy and I have great dealer support. Oh and if you want aftermarket stuff the M series has a ton out there for fairly cheap.

Premium Features