• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Float 30 vs. New Float 22 "Throttle"

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well I had the chance to compare the new BCA Float 22 Throttle to the Float 30, which I own. I also got some pics and attached them so everyone can see them.

First off, size wise the 22 and 30 are actually pretty close. The 30 is a little wider at the top and the 30 expands a little more as well, hence the extra room.

As far as weight, we loaded the 22 with a shovel scoop, probes and shovel handle and put it on the scale. We did the same thing with the 30 and these were the results.

Float 30 = 10.2
Flaot 22 = 8.4

Some general features of each include,

Float 30

Two external side pockets / sleeves for probes and shovel handle
Extra top pocket for spare goggles
Separate shovel scoop pocket
Main compartment separate from air canister / engine
Two waist belt pockets / compartments
Camel back compatible with compartment on left shoulder strap.
Extra back padding
Load compression straps to cinch the pack down.

Float 22 Throttle

Two main compartments
one for shovel scoop, shovel handle and probes
one for main storage and air canister
One waist belt pocket / compartment
NOT camel back compatible
Standard back plate, no padding

Float 30 on the left, Float 22 "Throttle" on the right

packs2.jpg

30 on the left, 22 on the right. You can see the difference in the padding and shoulder straps. The 30 has a zippered compartment to stow a camelbak hose

packs1.jpg

This is the outer most pocket of the 22. This is the compartment for the scoop, shovel handle and probes. You can see the two pockets for the shovel handle and probes. All these items are in the same pocket, unlike the the 30 where these items have their own separate pockets.

packs3.jpg

Main compartment of the Throttle 22. This compartment is for your extra gear that you would be packing. This compartment also holds the air canister. The canister is not separated from your packed gear like the Float 30. On the 30 the canister is behind a zippered curtain and is completely separate from your gear.
packs4.jpg

All in all the new Throttle 22 is a nice pack for the $$$. Basically a little smaller and a couple less pockets.

After looking and comparing the two, my plans are to keep my Float 30 for another year and see what comes out next year. The 22 is nice and if I did not already have an avy pack, I would probably pull the trigger on one.

Hopefully next year they come out with Float 25 or 26 with some of the same features as the 30 and cut some more weight. Then I will definitely be upgrading.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I had a 30 and it was just too big. It stuck out too much off of my back. I really like the 22 but I'm on a Snow Pulse now. That 22 is pretty cool, we saw one at Mike Duffy's avy training class.

Premium Features