• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Replaced oil line from oil pump to PTO side of crankcase & no oil will flow.

A
Nov 28, 2009
Michigan
Appreciate any input on this - I replaced the short oil line running from the oil pump to the PTO side of the crankcase and after starting the engine no oil is flowing through that line. I did not let the engine run very long - maybe a minute - then shut it down because I didn't see any oil entering. Repeated that a couple more times with same result.
Thanks in advance.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
what I do is pull the oil pump off, take a socket about a 3/8 or so cut a grove in it that the oil pump will fit in. and put it in a drill motor, hold the lever full open. you will be amazed at how long it takes to fill the lines. not much oil goes through them

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I use the same method.. the lines from the pump to the intake flow much faster than the ones to the crank bearings... It can take a very long time even using the drill method, but it is by far the fastest:beer; Just make sure you are holding the pump wide open when doing it.

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
I replaced the same hose due to rubbing thin in one spot. Connected up the new hose to the pump and left the other end loose overnight with a rag under it. Reconnected the line to the PTO side after it was full.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
oil

I buy a 150 cc syringe at your local pharmacy, cost about a dollar. Attach it to the line prior to putting it on the pump and fill the line with oil. The end of the syringe is about the same size as the oil line. Stick it on the pump and you are good. If you push pretty hard on the syringe, you can pre oil the bearing too. Most of the time this method works so well that there isn't even a bubble in the line. Premix is always good insurrance too.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
When we rebuilt my engine, we just loosened the bleed screw on the front of the pump and turned the pump wide open for 30 seconds and it was good to go.

A
Nov 28, 2009
Michigan
very good - appreciate the help! I was also told to run the machine and hold the oil pump lever wide open (with a long screwdriver or piece of flat bar - whatever would reach in there) and it would fill. That is what I did (didn't have access to your ideas at the time) and it worked well - filled the line in less than a minute.
Mine, too, had rubbed thin - was resting on the crank case for the last 5 yrs or so. Glad I caught that this time when changing out the TB boots. Also found a thin spot on the oil line that runs around the PTO side to the rear of the engine. Same thing - rubbing on the motor. Spliced that one for now - next time the motor is out I'll replace it.

Premium Features