• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Aftermarket Suspension is best: K-Mod, Timbersled, EZ-Ride, TeamFast?

If you were going to change out the rear suspension, which would you buy??

• KMOD

Votes: 124 33.7%
  • Timbersled

Votes: 111 30.2%
  • EZ-Ryde

Votes: 62 16.8%
  • Team Fast

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • CR Racing

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Racer's Edge

Votes: 23 6.3%
  • Nextech

Votes: 11 3.0%

• Total voters
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
There are 2 apex's around here setup identical other than the skid, one has a t-sled skid with a 162x16 CE and the other has a newer revalved AC skid with the 162x15 PC. on the same boost (14lbs) the the one with the AC skid and PC is gaining speed when the other is slowing down and trenching out. Unbelievable difference. I have also seen the same AC skid setup under nytro's and work a lot better than stock, but if I was going to do it I would go KMOD with a PC, (it works the best out here) or maybe a 15 wide CE.

D
Jun 17, 2009
Wyoming
I rode with a Timber Sled skid under a boosted Nytro for about 1 week this season in some deep-deep snow (3+ ft), trails, hills and few chutes here and there.

Trails: Going down the trail the skid is very comfortable, the geomentry is very well thought out. Not only this but the shocks work very well with the skid. We rode moguls for about 10 miles and you felt them but they didnt bash your brains out on the bars. The skid has a very plush ride and I only bottomed it out on a cornice drop (another story though). I enjoyed the adjustablity of it as well, almost anything you want it can accomdate.

Deep Pow: The skid shines here, very little wheeling, only when coming out of steep creek beds and such. The skid soakes up stumps/logs/rocks with ease and trust me I hit alot of stuff that I just could not see due to the snow. The attack angle is very good, trenching was few and far between. This was a very "lite" snow, about like sugar. The skid I rode was under a 162 and seemed to float just fine, doesnt like to dig or be stiff.

Chutes: I was suprised, the snow was pretty packed but deep in spots depending on where the wind had blown. This skid makes the power mangable on a sled like that, wheeling was kept down for the most part and when it did become air born alittle less throttle was in order. I mean its pushing 300+ hp its gonna spool fast and your gonna have some wheelie action, but the skid makes it eaiser to handle and not so labor intesive.

Hopes this helps, Im a real believer in the skid myslef, I hope to put one under my sled some time soon! I dont know what type shocks were installed or what year model it was, didnt have time to check this was a loaner sled.

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
Well lets see the 5000. one is out of the running ha!!! I'm starting to think Kmod or Tsled also Chris.
Would like to hear from someone that has the racer's edge. The only EZ ride on a yami that i've heard from is the Hill climber that running a Nytro and he likes it for that venue. I'm sorry forgot his screen name.
Damn that money tree needs more miracle grow now.....
I want that Skinz front end but think it's going to have to wait. Rear skid and Turbo priorities now.:clock:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Boost was MUCH higher on my list than a new rear skid.
BUT...
Boost might end up pushing me into a new rear skid when all is said and done.

B

bigbird

Nov 26, 2007
edmonton area
www.rushmotorsports.ca
I've got 2 nytros. One with racers edge and one with a timbersled. The racers edge is by far the more versatile skid. Can have it set for boondocking and in a few clicks go climb the steep stuff. Timbersled is a great all around skid until you point it at something steep. Can't hold the front end down. If I building a sled again it would have a racers edge setup. Great guys to deal with. Horrible website though.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Racers Edge doesnt value a Web site much.......his product speaks for itself on the mountain.
I have had a most of the skids on the market....my current rides have 2 Racers Edge and One CR 10 all 174's. My next sled will likelly have another RE full skid. He can buiild a full skid front to back or modify your current OEM skid with his componenets at less cost. But the performance is still the same.
I like my CR 10 but not the Legend rear shock....if it had a coil over it would be more consistent IMO.
RE is the most functional of any skid I have had. Amazing trail ride, Boondock manouverability, Chute slaying with immediate coupling. 1.5 years on it and not 1 broken part.......the stuff is bomber.

RS

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Stock 08 skid - Bottomed out on every bump over 6" tall, and trenched its way to china at EVERY opportunity. Seriously made me think twice about buying my sled.

Swapped in a Timbersled 162 and I was in love! I had it in just before yamifest in 08, and coming down the trail on boulder the whoops were DEEP. I was running 40-45 without any issues, just crusing down the trail. It is VERY comfortable, doesn't bottom on rough trails.

Then I added boost. No shims, it would wheelie a little at 10lbs on moderate hills...15lbs it was a wheelie monster! However it was a LOT of fun :) It would come up, balance out and I'd scream up the hill with the ski's 4 feet in the air. Like I said, that was a lot of fun on a moderate hill, but anything steeper it would trench in and I would have to turn out. I threw in the shims and the front was PLANTED at 10lbs, and at 15lbs it was a lot of work to get the front to come up. I took it up some fairly steep hills and it was a huge improvement in control. No excessive ski lift, no trenching, just point where you want it to go and it went.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the skid and its adjustability. It worked well before boost, and its worked well afterboost. I also like that my sled lost 38lbs on the skid alone...makes tossing the rear end around a lot easier.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
From a member that wants to remain anonymous...

Racers Edge is the best all around suspension IMO, also mounts in the stock location(saves alot of cost). Rides awesome, looks wicked. Can put short magnetic blocks in for some CONTROLLED boondocking and smooth trail riding, or put long blocks in for front end control(Takes seconds to change).

I've rode on or with all suspensions (Except KMOD), the only other one I would consider is the M10/CR10. I just sold my M10 to replace with a Racers Edge. I've seen ALOT of guys waste money on other junk to end up changing later and costing even more money. Good Luck

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I think that you have a tough decision on your hands. The problem lies in the fact that everyone likes different things about different setups. The only way to tell really would be to ride a sled with every skid in it with your stage one super on it. Not a big chance of that happening. So you are left to the opinions of others. You have gotten some really good feedback here but it still is tough to know what you will like the best. I just put a cat skid in mine and I hope that it will stand up to a low boost kit when I get that, but only time will tell.

I do not envy your position. It is really hard to choose something that costs a lot of money and you just aren't sure about. I think they all are probably pretty good products however so I am sure that you will be happy. Good luck. It's just money right:)

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
Ok who sells the Racer's edge skid,,only the maker??? Do they have their own custom rails or use Ice age rails??

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I think that you have a tough decision on your hands. The problem lies in the fact that everyone likes different things about different setups. The only way to tell really would be to ride a sled with every skid in it with your stage one super on it. Not a big chance of that happening. So you are left to the opinions of others. You have gotten some really good feedback here but it still is tough to know what you will like the best. I just put a cat skid in mine and I hope that it will stand up to a low boost kit when I get that, but only time will tell.

I do not envy your position. It is really hard to choose something that costs a lot of money and you just aren't sure about. I think they all are probably pretty good products however so I am sure that you will be happy. Good luck. It's just money right:)

You should be fine on lower boost.
If you used a 08-2010 AC skid then get the skid shocks revalved, the stock valving sucks, I revalved my 09 piped m1000 and it road so much nicer it was laughable that AC even used that valving. It also kept the skis closer to the ground, the stock shock valving was so slow and with my weight it would wheelie collapsing the rear shock and it didn't have enough flow to return, even went over backward a few times, after the valving adjustment it would pull up then come down and run about a 1ft off the snow and never came over on me again. I could also feel the suspension working when sidehilling unlike before. I sent mine to holz but now would prob use GSR. There is also a rear long arm kit that my dealer has been putting on his TM8's, all it is a longer rear arm that helps a little in the wheelie department, he said it helped but I don't think its anywhere near what a KMOD will do for you, especially with the new raptors.

I personally know the KMOD is in a league of its own, but what is the weight difference on some of these skids, that might help the decision.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It would be interesting if we could build up a little hard data on each of these suspensions so that we could compare them in at least a few aspects head to head....

KMOD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Firth
kmodsnowmobileparts.com
Chris
I know that there is another thread on the new Series 2 but you have a photo of last years skid, here are a couple of the new one with what we have going on with the Yamaha skids for 2012.
Sorry I havnt updated the web site yet but were working on a different format and ordering page.
Thanks, Kevin

2011-12 KMOD 003.JPG Nytro Series II - Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Premium Features