• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

synthetic or mineral oil?

P
Sep 14, 2008
I recently picked up a 2007 ski doo summit x-rs 800r. The last owner used XP-S synthetic in it. I looked at my owners manual and it states mineral oil is to be used. Do I drain the synthetic oil out and put in mineral oil? Or do I just leave in the synthetic in? What's really the differents anyway?

Thanks

W
Sep 6, 2008
i just bought the same sled and the shop told me the same thing. he even made a strong point of telling me not to use synthetic. im curious as to why?

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
Ski-Doo XPS for me...the black jug. That is what the manufacturer calls for and I don't want to screw up if I ever have to use the 2 year engine warranty.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I don't know why they call for specific type of oil. I have always been taught that lubrication is important and any oil out there provides that.

I get a discount on oil so I just use want is in my owners manual. I ride an 08 XP

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
I have an 07 xrs too. the manual calls for ski-doo mineral oil, but when they started noticing some engine failures due to tight tolerances of the main crank bearing, they changed the recommendation to synthetic blend.

I have used only the mineral on mine from new and now have 1300 miles and no problems, but my new xp with the same motor calls for synthetic blend...

One other thing, once you use synthetic in a motor, i was always told your not supposed to go back

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
The mineral oil stated in the manual would be the minimum requirement.

If you want to run synthetic go for it. I have in all my sleds and have never had a problem.

The mineral & synthetic are "compatible" so mixing in the oil tank won't cause any problems, you don't need to drain one before adding another.

800HMRK

Dec 17, 2007
Alaska
I was told back in 03 when I bought my sled that I could run either oil, but if I ran synthetic there would be less carbon build up in my rave valves and what not. I'm sure being 5 years have gone by there are different opinions on it now.

C
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, AB
I switched from doo oil to amsoil synth.... just make sure you adjust your oil pump. It took me awhile to figure out while my sled wasn't as snappy as before. It was a combination of running too rich with the amsoil, and I also had to zip tie my rave valve lines because of a small vaccum leak. I am assuming the viscosity diff in the oils with affect your oil pump adjustment.

Hope this helps...

J
Dec 1, 2007
Blackfalds,AB
I have been running shell synth oil since 98 in my 670 & 2004 for my 03 summit & have had no problems. When i replaced the pistons in my 670 there was hardly any carbon build up and no wear. When we did my buddies he uses semi synth he had a lot more carbon build up..... So just what ever you want to run.:)

wyobob44

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2005
Sundance, WY
The operating water temp on my 07 XRS, full pull WOT deep powder was 85 degrees, my opinion is that leads to poor vaporazion of synthetic oils, maybe that is why the factory recommends mineral, I have well over 3000 hrs. on my motor and NO PROBLEMS. The 08 motors have a thermostat, higher water temps, easier to vaporize synthetic or blended oils..
Have not installed a temp gauge on the 08 or 09 so I don't know their operating temps, but they are considerably higher than the 07 engines.
The water temp gauge was a digital gauge and the sending unit is installed in the neck on the head where the coolant leaves the head, where the thermostat was formerly located, I was shocked how low the water temps were..

Premium Features