• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For Everyone with an 08-10 D8 Please Read

General Feelings on 08-10 Polaris D8

• Total voters
T
Feb 23, 2010
Boise, ID
Overall I'm very happy with my 08 D8. I've had a little trouble with the midrange bog, not much, and the plastics aren't what I would call the best/most durable.

I've been VERY happy with my dragon, and i'm not easy on it by any means.....I've put about...1000 miles on my 08 D8 and just last week is when i had the VR and the ECU go out on me. Besides normal wear and tear, Mines been Great. As far as going through the 115 belts, this is my second year on the sled..and it is just barely getting a glaze on it.

i've been happy with mine........... until today. wouldn't idle, gauges flickering(dealer thought maybe tps) took it to northstar's started it up ran for 30 seconds and died, did not restart. low mag side compression.:mad:

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
So much whining and crying goin on at this web site! Good thing you'all don't own Yamahas! Suicides and self mutilations would be witnessed by all! So, you never had to rejet your brand new WR250/450 just to survive the first test drive? You never put a chip in your car/truck to get the performance you expected? You never replaced the clutch in your 60's muscle car all by yourself, just after installing the new cam and carb (which you had to rejet)? Did you ever install a roll cage or a ladder bar rear suspension? What I'm saying is, you might be in over your head.

lets think about that, did you ever have to rejet your wr just to ride it, did you have to put a chip in your car/truck just to drive it, did you have to put a clutch in your 60s muscle car all by yourself just to drive it well duh if it went out you have to put it back in to make it move, did you really have to put in the new cam and carb to drive it, did you really have to put in a new ladder bar rear suspension just to drive it NO you have to put in a pcv just to keep your sled from blowing up you just spent 10k on a new sled to have it blow up on ya and now you HAVE to buy a pcv just to ride it

H

highmarkco

Oct 28, 2009
I have a 2010 Assult with about 600 rough miles on it. SLP can and some vents. The only thing I have had to replace is the throttle block because it is a silly design. New extreme 2.5 track and zbros arms and spindles are on their way! This is a great sled and I hope it keeps running the way it is. Love being able to put it oil and gas and pull the cord and rip!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Now that's a crock of ****, granted nobody likes the EPA, but Polaris is the only one to blame. In stock form the 2010's and 2011's seem to be running okay. There is no way Polaris should have released the 800, especially the way it ran in '08 and '09, totally disappointing to say the least. Once again Polaris never had a solution to their own problem, Power Commander was the solution and Polaris should have included it with the recall, but they didn't and guys were forced to shell out another $400 on a sled that has lost an incredible amount of value thanks to nobody other than Polaris. Polaris has lost this customer for a long time and they have also convinced me that they are more concerned about atv's than they are sleds.

Umm...just so you know..polaris doesnt determine the fuel mapping on these sleds..the EPA does at certain check points...if it isnt lean enough to pass the test..it cant be sold in the usa..period..the other manufacturers elected to use credits to get around this..polaris tackled it head on..the other manufacturers will also be facing these requirements soon(no credits)..as for runability issues with these sleds..I bought an 08 D-8 163 new and overall it has been an exceptional sled(over 3000 miles now with no fuel controller)..as is the dozen or so sleds from 08- 10 that friends own ..I will say it again..many of the issues these sleds have can be easily fixed with proper setup by the dealer..most notably a complete inspection and diagnostic check over that includes manually setting the TPS with a multimeter...I am sorry yours hasnt performed to your satisfaction..but it could with proper diagnostic testing and proper setup by a dealer who knows what they are doing....good luck....

R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
My problem with Polaris and why I will never buy another new one is this. The warranty denials. If you snap a crank, spin a bearing, or break a ring and you have a mod that adds one extra HP it is not there problem. How could they have so little faith in there own product? The answer to that question is the 800. And that is sad.

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
My stock 09 D8 has about 3200 miles w/ no problems. Performance seems to be a little short of last year, per the update. I also have a BD pump gas 08 D8, pretty sure I lost the regulator and probably the ecm over the weekend(first time I've ever been pulled in). This sled has about 2200 miles.

T

tomtana

Mar 17, 2009
I have an 07 d7 and I am one of the unlucky ones!my sled has been back after about evry weekend.It hasnt been anything catostrophic but it keeps stalling out all day.Then after about 3 hrs of riding it starts to bog really bad.My dealer has been working hard tfind the problam but with no luck!I have put about 500 miles on my truck + fuel +time and am about out of patience!but love the sled when its runnin right.

J
Mar 1, 2010
I guess im not a lucky one i have a 09 800 and every other weekend its in the shop getting a new motor i just lost my 6th one i wish polaris would figer out what the deal is and fix the problem. now they are telling me they wont cover my sled under warenty becuase i took the cone that mounts on your hood that lines up the air box off. im tired of this

L
Jan 26, 2010
N. IL.
Really! Just get rid of your Polaris and go buy some other sled. Because you will never, ever have a problem. The other sleds are oh-so perfect. And their dealers do such a better job at serving the customer. You all will experience pure joy at never having to complain here at this website, or any other. Yeah, right... 3100 miles-no problems.

S

super6

Feb 5, 2008
Stop blaming Polaris and put the blame where it belongs! The FEDS! Start voting the right way and lets get the goverment out of our lives.

Couldn't agree more. Our sport has become incredibly more expensive and incredibly more "technical". Love the new technology. I like Cat's response...we will make great reliable power with a totally non-compliant 800...then just use up our "credits" for all the low power turbo660's we have been selling for years. It is insane to think that a few sleds up in the thin mountain air do jack squat to our air quality etc.

OOOO...now I gots the blood boilin...better settle down a little and go to bed...call my senator in the morning I guess.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
bog

I agree with most i like the sled but the motor sucks.Polaris has so far not even replied to my email about the bog.Dealer said they have no fix and all 09 800 they sold are doing the same thing,that is very comforting.Snow is melting and so is my waranty.Just venting.

T
Nov 30, 2009
Michigan
My sled was fine before the "Polaris" update.
After that it was back to the dealers 5 times in 6 weeks.
After 10 miles I had to have the pistons replaced again. Then 2 new injectors, then my TPS, then the ECU's wire harness, the check engine light was flashing.

I was afraid to take the sled anywhere. I made sure I brought a tow strap where ever I went, lets put it that way.
And good think I did, because it was towed 3 times.

And let me say I had 700 miles on it with just over 20 hours.
Hows that for a track record?

I'll be looking for a different sled, that's for sure.

D

dragonryder800

Dec 5, 2009
Pollock Pines, California
where do i stand? thats a good one,i love my dragon!!!when its running! whitch seems to be less and less,i'm not here to bash on polaris but enough is enough! i have had three engine failers,a broken motor plate,broken driver and chain case,broken rear shock bolt,(the head sheard off!)and now the clutch has a crack around where the belt rides! the sad part its been in the shop more than i have ridden it!!!! i would say i have LEMON!!!!! i think polaris should help with trade in or swap for a new one for those who have had the most issuses on the 08 d8. dont get me wrong i love my dragon, i wish i had more confidence in my machine to ride were i want and not have to stay close to truck! lets hope 1st year pro rmk dosnt have the same issuses.please POLARIS get it together!!!! still loyal to the cause!!!!!!!!!!

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
From a prior poll, I would guess that you have close to a 1/3 of the owners that have problems or are not completely satisfied with their sled. There has been quite a bit of buyers remorse when it comes to these.
You have only included a fraction of the issues that a person can find on these sleds. Some run great and others don't, but it is far from the 2% failure rate they should have. Polaris just can't seem to get a handle on it.
A lot of the issues stem just from how Polaris has chosen to deal with the problems. Rather than doing the right thing and taking back or replacing the problem sleds Polaris just sits and watches the consumer squirm. The dealer is left clueless, and Polaris won't acknowledge the customer. They try one thing after another to fix it constantly inconveniencing the consumer. The customer spends $10,500 and feels like giving up the sport because his sled hasn't been right in 3 years.
When I started my sled for the first time this year it said 705 miles and you don't want to hear all the problems I found with my sled and motor. I spent an easy $1200 this season making my sled reliable. That doesn't include my own mishap that turned out to be my saving grace.
I don't mean to sound negative and I am truly happy for those of you with great running sleds. However, the impression that Polaris has left on me is that they don't care about the customer. They could have handled these situations in a much better manner. Instead they chose the route that would inevitably lead to lost customers and sales. They are more worried about the almighty dollar than producing a quality product. They have it backwards, if they build a quality product the dollar will come. Quality control is non existent within Polaris. It really says something about a company when your product doesn't even meet your own tolerances and specifications when it leaves the assembly line.
Sorry, I'm done now.

friend of mine orderd 2 cylinders before he got one that was within spec, ive read on here that there have been a few others that had the same thing happen to them

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
The Polaris CFI 4 800 is just bleeding potential. It is the hot rod that never was and it all stems from quality control. Polaris should have spent an extra year asking the "right" people the "right" questions on this engine design. And followed that up with the tightest tolerances in the industry. You can't make the best product with a hope and a prayer. You need the dedication and drive to make it happen.
The injection system itself has been said by more than 1 to be better than the 2 injector. However, it is also harder to meet emissions standards. At least the way Polaris has gone about it.
I'm not an engineer, but looking at this motor/injector design I felt some things could have been done better. Fuel flow and atomization could have been increased with better location and injector angle. There are also cooling issues that should be looked at for emissions purposes as well as reliability.
These motors can be made to run and run well. On an investment such as this the customer shouldn't need to spend additional money to make it right. Yet, that is what it takes for many to get this motor to it's full potential.

C
Dec 3, 2007
I love my 2009 Polaris 800 "except" for the over heating later in the season. I've heard people taking out their thermostat should I have this done and what harm "could" I face. Also that my antifreeze should be 60% antifreeze to 40% distilled water. Any comments would be helpful.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
I love my 2009 Polaris 800 "except" for the over heating later in the season. I've heard people taking out their thermostat should I have this done and what harm "could" I face. Also that my antifreeze should be 60% antifreeze to 40% distilled water. Any comments would be helpful.

The T-stat can be removed & the sled ran with the following precautions.

#1 Warm the sled to 90 degrees before touching the throttle.

#2. Bleed the system to remove any air in the system.

#3 Look on Hardcore Sledder under the IQ forum on this subject. Several of their members have some really good pointers and tricks to shorten the removal process and have the sled back into service. Many folks running them this way with good results.

Good luck,

akrevrider

Premium Features