• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park Riding

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Honestly, Island Park and the West Yellowstone is a big area with a ton of different riding options. Depends on what you are looking for to ride and the group you are with.
The snow can really change and be different from area to area and that can adjust your days as to where you ride too.

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
I am curious on this as well as far as where you can stay in Island park and how far you will need to drive everyday? We are starting to plan our trip out west this winter and no very little. Any input would be appreciated.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
We stayed at sawtell mtn resort two years ago was a really nice place to stay outdoor hot tub in every cabin which is more like a condo. There was one or two places to eat real close by. Ride from the cabin about 15-20 min to get up in elevation.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
island park

island park is a very long town or village or whatever they call it but i would stay towards the northern end to stay closest to riding areas.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Island Park is a very strange “town” gotta be like 10 miles long?

Never rode out of IP, always done West Yellowstone. I’m assuming the same areas are ridden tho. Do some research on Black Canyon, Lions Head, Two Top, and Mt Jefferson. Should be able to find some info here and using google.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Clutch for 6-8k. I have never rode Mt Jefferson but I believe thats 8-10. Avy country up there, so be careful if you try that out.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Ponds Lodge is a great place to stay, different options for rooms/cabins. Really great food/bar, and a virtual golf room for days your sled is broke down.... Can ride from the lodge or trailer 15 mins to several different lots.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Interestingly enough, the "main street" is 33 miles long and supposedly one of the longest in the world.

I'd recommend staying at The Pines. The cabins are awesome and it's close to all the services you'll need. We prefer trailering every day but you can ride out of anywhere you stay.

Ponds, Pines, Buffalo Bar and Wild West Pizza are great places to eat. Happy Hour Bar is a great place to eat and party if you don't mind the commute!

Where to ride depends on what you like. There is plenty of variety.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I'm also going to caution you about Lion's Head. It is easy to get to and a lot of people go there and it seems like it often catches newbies to the area unaware in avalanches. I'm not saying to not go there, there are great spots to ride on Lion's Head, just saying be aware of the terrain and conditions.

sled_guy

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Ponds Lodge is great if you want to pay over a $1 more per gallon at the pump.
Save yourself some money and ride another 5 min's to somewhere else and get fill your sled up.

Ponds Lodge is a great place to stay, different options for rooms/cabins. Really great food/bar, and a virtual golf room for days your sled is broke down.... Can ride from the lodge or trailer 15 mins to several different lots.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Take Kilgore road to the second parking lot, work your way up Blue Creek (follow tracks) and get into Hell Roaring Canyon SE of Mount Jefferson. There are a lot of open meadows and fun little climbs, been riding there for the last 35 years and always have a blast, but beware of Avy terrain traps.

Premium Features