• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 summit throttle postion sensor

L
Nov 15, 2016
I have a 2016 summit x and have a starting issue. It only happens a few times a season but a few times the sled will be running fine, shut it off, and it will not start. It acts as though the kill switch or rip cord is pulled off. Nothing. But we seem to pull and pull on it, messing with kill switch, rip cord, tipping it on its side, and all of the sudden just roars to life like nothing happened. Its always happened after a lot of heavy riding, possibly mostly in real deep powder, and never has seemed to be related to the kill switch or rip cord, mostly messing with them cause it was logical place to start. Mostly had results with tipping the machine on its side, (getting pissed and being rough with it) and then it runs. My thoughts are a throttle position sensor or is there a moisture sensor in the air intake system that might be keeping it from running? It happens so infrequently I haven't gotten to worried about it and it has always started after a while, but one of these times I feel it will bite me in the ass.
Also this sled does not have electric start.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

W
Dec 7, 2017
Silt, CO
I had a similar issue. Sled started great when it was cold, once hot, there would be random times it did not want to start. Turned out to be a fuel pressure issue. There is a lot of info and back posts on this. I took mine to my dealer, he was able to test the pressure and fix it under warranty.

L
Nov 15, 2016
Ok. I looked into the fuel regulator threads and feel like that is my exact problem. I am going to tear that apart first and see if that fixes my problem, but will also look into the flash for hot restarts. Thanks.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Had the same issue with my 16. I had the flash, which did nothing. I had the fuel pump assembly replaced under warranty and the hot start issue improved drastically. I've found that a fresh set of plugs every season helps, no matter what the maintenance guide says....

L
Nov 15, 2016
Thanks. Yes after what I have read on the fuel pressure I'm 99% that is my problem. Since warranty is over, I bought just the fuel regulator for ~$50 instead of $400 for a whole fuel pump and regulator. Wondering if I should also replace my fuel pump while I'm going through the trouble of removing it.... Now I'm second guessing not replacing it...

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
No need to replace pump.

Just get the 2 update screws from Doo. They have a wider shoulder to allow more surface area on the regulator, thereby keeping it in place.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No need to replace pump.

Just get the 2 update screws from Doo. They have a wider shoulder to allow more surface area on the regulator, thereby keeping it in place.

My 16 had the new screws/plate in place, the pump assembly replacement solved the issue.

Srhone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2016
I have a 16 xm and have had similar issues, mine is always in deep snow when it happens, mine is starving for air. Once I brush snow off intake it fires up

Premium Features