• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard or Soft knee and Shin guards

Vics Action Shots

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2013
Indiana
www.VicsActionShots.com
Do any of you ride with Knee/Shin guards.
I was looking at sixsixone and am confused. They have soft shell that wrap around your calf and hard shell. Any of you gals ride with these? Which is better for snowmobiling?
Thank you for your help!

M

Momma

Jun 20, 2009
In the heart of the Kootenays BC
Me too! I wear fox hard shell knee/shin pads. I like the velcro straps, as I can adjust the fit to what I'm wearing. In regular winter riding, I have them over my mid layer.. spring riding I usually just wear my base layer and outer shell. They have saved my shins and knees often. I cringe when I see knees split wide open from running boards.

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Yep, love hard shell Velcro straps... Save my knees/shins all the time...they also may it easier to knee crawl in deep snow and are really nice for crawling back up on the running boards from a deep snow bail... Oh yeah and when I stay on my sled they save me from tree branches:). And once you start wearing them, you forget they're on

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
volley ball knee pads

Nope .... hockey kneepads.

I went through 4 different pairs of MX-style shin/knee guards and then I finally pulled my CCM kneepads out of my hockey bag and I haven't looked back.

Think about it.... All the other MX-style knee/shin guards are built for people wearing MX boots, not snow boots .... an ice skate is more similar in cut to a snow boot, so its natrual the hockey pads cover more, stay put better, and just all around work better than the MX ones do ..... The volleyball knee pads are only a knee pad and don't cover your shins at all .... the MX ones leave a big gap in between your feet and the pad .... Trust me, if you can skate in them, you can ride in them ;)

http://www.oceanhockey.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/0G/product-id/41234481.html

Something like that .... and its about 1/2 the price you'd pay for an MX-style pad that was that sturdy. Just make sure you get them sized right, I would think for most ladies the "Sr" size would be too big .... If you have a local hockey store nearby its probably best to just go try a set on to make sure they fit.

Last edited:
Premium Features