• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help. Lights and hand warmer issue

U

upfront719

Sep 5, 2010
Cadillac, MI
Bike is a 2013 ktm 450sx. 65 watt stock stator. Just installed a trail tech x2 head light and AME hand warmers. The hand warmers turn off after riding for 3 or 5 minutes, but only when the light is turned on. If i leave the light off the warmers work fine.

Is there anything that i can do??

Last edited:
P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
[Quote. The hand warmers turn off after riding for 3 or 5 minutes, but only when the light is turned off.

Did you mean to say the hand warmers turn off when the light is turned "on"?

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
your headlight pulls 70 watts you cant run that light or any light even close to 70 watts 30 watts max is my suggestion, you never want to totally tax your system, especially on an EFI Bike. You will be walking out.

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
LED headlight

Get your self a premium LED style headlight, Visions X makes some excellent ones that draw low amps and have a brilliant light projection.

As stated, do not overwork that stator or it will burn out very quickly. Also as stated, you will be walking out if the stator toasted.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Its not the light, the AME heaters are voltage sensitive and as soon as the battery voltage goes below 12.8 volts they shut them selves off to keep the
Battery from going dead if you leave them on, so with a 65 watt stator and the heaters and light on you will draw the voltage down far enough to turn the heaters off! My berg has a 230 watt stator and when the heaters on # 6 sometimes they draw down far enough to shut off! But then again #6 will burn you!I belive the heaters at #6 they are like 40W so if even the wiring is to small the the voltage drops,,,, then heaters will shut off, ask me how I know?I took mine directly off the battery through a relay! Main switch on, relay energizes heaters on! That way I dont draw from the FI circuit.if you cut the switch off the heaters.you will get full heat like normal heaters on high, you can just turn them off and on.or ditch the light and run a solstice and you will never use another light again.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Does Trail Tech or anyone else make a high output stator for that bike? I have one in my bike it works awesome, different KTM though.

M5

U

upfront719

Sep 5, 2010
Cadillac, MI
Thanks guys. I think im going with the cyclops light.

So i have a new trail tech X2 for sale if anyone want it. Great light if you are running no hand warmers (or cheap hand warmer elements). Black. $55.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Go with the solstice and 2 batterys , mine lasts about 6hrs on flame thrower mode!

Premium Features