• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what sled is a good sled for young girls to learn to cut a edge and side hill

D
Jan 17, 2009
GF, MT
a sled they caan through around side hill and still have enough power to do some climbing . kids ride sure out dated sleds 500 skidoo fan cooled 121 the girls can throw tihis and side hill it and cut an edge but no power can ride a polaris rmk 550 fan 136 track hard to do mucch with they dont like it at all they both ride my old sled a 98 670 summit x with a 144 like the power like riding it but i see them struggle alot do better on the 500 both luv my sled a skidoo zx with 780 tripple boss seat and 156 track can actually ride this sled second best next to the 500 thinking about maybe an m6 141 but dont know dont want to sell out alot of money for some thing that is to heavy for them and they cant ride it is a m6 lighter than m8? the 550 polaris i thought would be great for them they hate that thing worst of all dont know how to find a good sled for the girls to ride they also like to climb but the 500 wont do that .thanks dan

ps do they even make a m6 141 ?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Pro RMK. There are a lot of kids around here riding them and they seem to be a good sled in the fields and pulling the pink sleigh around. Nice carbon fibre bumper and such. The front bumper seems a bit light and usually breaks when you bump into a snowman or your puppy.

T

tgoodwin

Dec 6, 2007
Blackfoot
Now Eric I'm not sure that was quite the answer he was looking for, but at least it made me laugh. As for the original question I do think they make a m6 141 and it would be a great sled. Though I would try and find a low mileage m7 153 and you'd be set.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I bought my kids a M5 with a 141 and added a 144 Camo Extreme, I do agree the M6 may be a better choice, if you can find one.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'd say a dragon 7 or a 6 if you're lower altitude where one of those actually goes good.

The M is a great sled, but the poo pulls over easier & imo will allow a light rider to get good quicker.

Btw... I own two M's & my last 6 sleds have been M's... so take that for what it's worth.

If you want real man power though... get an M. The poo 8 I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I may rave about the dragon, but there's a reason I'm on a cat!! :D

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I could not resist!!!

Truthfully, find a Phazer 2 stroke $500-1200.00

or a good used Mountain Max 600 $1000-1800.00.

These are both awesome kids sleds and are for the most part bulletproof.

M5s are great and M6 is better, but you will be hard pressed to find them for less than $2500.00.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The problem with the rmk is its heavier and you cant drop weight like a m, I would get them a m8 if i had the money and with the right suspension setup they can learn to make it do what it needs to, then you can ride it to but when they need it they can do what is needed. I would have to go with a m7 over a m6.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
M/6 141. This sled is the best riding sled we own. When our youngest climbs on she won't give the sled to either of the other two kids !!! >>>>.
Christmas2009Grand-Lake035.jpg

Last edited:
D
Jan 17, 2009
GF, MT
my girls megan 18 115 lbs loves horespower will kill almost any one in a drag race she also likes to climb but hasnt figuerd out how to use her body and is no wimp but says she isnt strong enough to ride the heavy sleds and throw them around.my opinion is also to much power to get the throttle is your frienmd aspect . last time out she was riding my zx chasis skidoo with the 780 tripple and got on a hard side hill with in cline not real steep and ended up rolling the seld over her .there was powder nothing hurt .mary 16 she is not to agresive of a rider i alwayss have to challenge her she is an animal will wrestle with most boys and win she is 180 i think and strong as an ox she really likes the little 500 but for me no power wont go and do the boondocking we like to do the 500 not mary. a few years ago after megan had already been riding my 670x for a couple years i got the rmk 550 fan 136 track thouhgt would be good boondocking sled for them( they hate that heavy no power ill handling sled there words i think its light ) with no power wont ride it unless mom goes with us . and i think though my 98 670 is the best seld i have ever owned with 13000 miles on it is an awesome sled its the most illhandleing hard to ride sled i have evr owend and both girls wanna ride it over the 550 fan rmk polaris a suposedly light good ladys sled . i feel a 570 fan cat is alot like the rmk so on are way home on saturday megan asked dad why dont they make a light sled with power a girl can throw around and ride that is my deilema cant buy evry sled out there to have the girls hate it .
i have only owned one cat a kitty cat megan started rideing at 2 always have rode skidoos but i really like our cat dealer i wanna try cat i have been
looking at m1000 for me and might make the change to cat and im gonna take alot of crap for it but i like there product but if another brand has some thing beter for my girls i would look i need some thing they can handle and have fun more for me than them they would ride a 340 enticer all day and smile my 2cents i need some help here

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I know a 10 year old kid that is less than a 100lbs and is carving it up on a m5, but under powered. From what you describe, they could handle the m1000, I can carve mine sitting down, its all about throttle and counter steering. But if you get one get a 09 or newer.

How do you know when you are riding a M-series,
When you loose your balance and wind up in a sidehill.

Where are you located, I'm sure there are some that would let you test the sleds, If you ride around here you could come up and give mine try. (there insured)

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
M7 153 for sure. If you could swing it though, get an M8 that they can grow into and ride/mod for some time to come. Just my .02:face-icon-small-win

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Don't think they would have to grow into one, they would just have to figure it out like the rest of us. Look at Amber Holt, I think she is somewhere around 100lbs + and rides a boosted m1000, prob better than most guys out there. http://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com/kmod_website_004.htm

Any M would be a upgrade, But I would still ride a few and if someone can give you pointers on how to use it you could get a lot better judgement right away.

WFOWA

Lifetime Membership
Jun 10, 2008
SOCO
I could not resist!!!

Truthfully, find a Phazer 2 stroke $500-1200.00

or a good used Mountain Max 600 $1000-1800.00.

These are both awesome kids sleds and are for the most part bulletproof.

M5s are great and M6 is better, but you will be hard pressed to find them for less than $2500.00.

X2, Phazer 2 (136 track i think) great sled to learn on.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
X2, Phazer 2 (136 track i think) great sled to learn on.

Phazers suck to sidehill with compared to an M chassis. I have a 96 phazer and while it is an ok sled for the kids to learn on, the M6 141 we have is 10 times easier to ride in a mountain setting. I think you should find a nice stockish M7 in the track length of your choice. Or an M6 if you can find one. Not as many made.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
My boys started out on the old Phazer. Works good for a kid learning to ride on the trail.

They then went to a Powder Special 600. A bit better, you can get the hang of turning in powder and some side hill action.

But after this weekend I am convinence the M7 is the PERFECT sled for a new rider in the 80 plus pound range.

My little guy only weights 80 lbs and believe it or not, he can ride my M1000 100X better than the 600. They just need to understand the counter steering and throttle control.

Granted, he isn't going to be pulling sidehills across open faces with cliff drops but man it they can really ride on a newer chassis.

Get a M series, whatever you can get.

Thunder

W

w4cstriker

Dec 17, 2007
washington
i have kid 10 y old on a 500 crossfire has enough for him to keep up and get in trouble, and a daughter on a m6 ,when they drag its real close love this sport and when family likes it its icing on the cake!

T
Nov 27, 2007
We just moved our 13 year old daughter to a 06 M7 153 and she is flat tearin up the snow, she can sidehill within reason and loves riding the trees. Her old sled was a 2003 570 mountain cat, it was a good sled but she has really taken to the M7. Have fun sled shopping.

Premium Features