• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Oil Problem????

A

auggie11

Dec 10, 2007
Longmont, CO
Another 09D8 Down!! Oiling Problem???

Ok so I'm hearing alot of you say that theses seizes that (alot) of us are seeing is due to lack of oil... So what i'm wanting to know is what is causing this lack of oil??? Actual Oil pump, oiler setting on throttle cable, or ????
My engine sieze was at 609 miles, had just recieved update, always properly warmed up... PTO side siezed absolutely no oil to be seen on piston, cylinder,(above or below ring) nor on the exhaust valve.... And to make this much better I don't have the confidence in my dealer to find the actual cause behind this.. I'm afraid they are just ordering the new top end slapping it back together and sending me on my way??? What can I go complain about to try to get something done... Sorry for so long Just not happy with polaris right now and anything has gotta help out...

Thanks Aug

Last edited:

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
seen one this week that had seized a piston and they put the updated top end on it and it seized again within 200 miles. the first tank w/o premix in it. I would say they are slapping top ends on w/o finding the problem wish I had an answer but until mine goes I probably won't have one

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Hearing the same thing that most are lack of lubrication. Several possibilities-oil pump defective or set wrong, kinked line, air bubble, dealer should be able to check those. The oil itself-could Polaris have a bad batch of VES Gold? Lean condition would stress some also. It is something that should be diagnosed before the sled is returned or it will likely do it again.
A serious oil issue will show with abnormal consumption but then it may be too late.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
How much oil did you use on a regular basis? You should be using about a quart per tank. One consideration is that when they start to burn down is that it will burn off the oil also. If you are concerned about it not using enough oil, start mixing some in the gas until your dealer can fix it.

Last edited:
A

auggie11

Dec 10, 2007
Longmont, CO
I believe it was right around a quart as my dealer ran out of the gallon jugs and was using quarts. Yes i do agree with you about when a sled burns down it will burn the oil off, but completely??? I couldn't even find remenants of oil on top or below the piston at all...?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I have had 2 bd's, one piston much worse than the other. Each time there was no oil at all, the wrist pin was even difficult to remove and blued. Yet the other piston still had oil on it.

A

auggie11

Dec 10, 2007
Longmont, CO
Yea true.. and the mag side cylinder was oiled up properly... but correct me if i'm wrong... the oiling tubes that lead to each cylinder individually are orphaced to apply equal amount of oil to each part of the motor... is there any possibilities for one of these orpahces to be plugged??? or am I wrong here? Is it orphaced at the oil pump? Sorry just would like to find out some way to help my situation out cause like i said I just don't know if i hae the confidence in my dealers mechanic to find the "actual problem" not just the result (siezed pto side piston) of the actual problem. Thanks Aug

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Auggie,
An experienced mechanic can recognize the symptoms of failure. A lean condition will have some activity on top of the piston, location of scuffing, as well as other signs. Lean often leads to some detonation. It's more than the lack of oil-also the look and position of the damage. Both oil & lean create a lot of heat prior to failure. Post some pic's and I'll bet you get some help from members.

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
I wonder if premixing these sleds along with the oil injection would help stop some of these burndowns. I know Indy Dan recommends mixing 100:1 along with injection. Just an idea.

D
Dec 28, 2007
I don't think the e.p.a. certified polaris gold oil is all that great. I mix a mineral sinthetic blend in every tank at 100:1. Also I put 3 gallons of 112 octane fuel in each time. No problems.

S
Jan 29, 2009
you

How much oil did you use on a regular basis? You should be using about a quart per tank. One consideration is that when they start to burn down is that it will burn off the oil also. If you are concerned about it not using enough oil, start mixing some in the gas until your dealer can fix it.
wrong. half gallon per tank. on a 600 . 800 miles have not replaced plugs yet. they need alot of oil .:eek:always premix first tank. half gallon with the flow of oil injection

Picture 001~1.jpg

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
wrong. half gallon per tank. on a 600 . 800 miles have not replaced plugs yet. they need alot of oil .:eek:always premix first tank. half gallon with the flow of oil injection

my 08 d-8 has 2400 miles on ves gold...burns 1 qt for every 10 gallons..sons 08 rmk 600 burns 1 qt every 10 gallons..800 miles..no problems...daughters 08 550 trail rmk..700 miles...1 qt every 10 gallons.....no problems...nothing wrong with the gold..nothing wrong with 1 qt every 10 gallons...

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I have the same use as AKSNOWRIDER, 1 qt VES Gold per 10 gallons. Premixed the first tank 3 winters ago and have used a quart per tank since then with no issues with the engine.

Auggie, has an experienced mechanic looked at it yet like Ron suggested? Post pics.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs

LMAO, you try to neg rep me for saying that a sled should burn a quart per tank. All of the Polaris sleds that I have owned for the last 10 years burn @ a quart per tank.

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
Ok so I'm hearing alot of you say that theses seizes that (alot) of us are seeing is due to lack of oil... So what i'm wanting to know is what is causing this lack of oil??? Actual Oil pump, oiler setting on throttle cable, or ????
My engine sieze was at 609 miles, had just recieved update, always properly warmed up... PTO side siezed absolutely no oil to be seen on piston, cylinder,(above or below ring) nor on the exhaust valve.... And to make this much better I don't have the confidence in my dealer to find the actual cause behind this.. I'm afraid they are just ordering the new top end slapping it back together and sending me on my way??? What can I go complain about to try to get something done... Sorry for so long Just not happy with polaris right now and anything has gotta help out...

Thanks Aug

Had the exact thing happen to my friends 09 D* when it was brand new. He picked up the sled and went for a short ride and the sled did not seem to run right, seemed a little low on power. Brought into the dealer where he bought it (also where I use to work) and they replaced the spark plugs and it seemed to run fine but the service manager noticed a little oil under the engine on the bulk head. He removed the airbox and then the throttle bodies and still could find the source. He kept removing whatever he could to try to see when he finally decided to pull the engine. Once the engine was out he found that the oil line going from the oil pump to the pto side of the engine had pulled the fitting apart and was pumping oil under the engine instead of pumping it to the engine. Once he saw this he lokind into the ex. port and seen the piston and cyl all scored. We were leaving for tog in three days and he was able to get pol to pay for next day air and he got all the new parts and got the sled done in time. Dunno if this is happening to all the 800's but it might be worth a look, oil line was very tough to see but if you pull the airbox and throttle bodies off and check all by hand and a mirror you should be able to see if they are connected or not.

oil

Tree_Magnet_777 on here lost the mag side on his 09 D8 a few weeks ago due to lack of oil. The check valve on the PTO side failed (stuck open) and as a result that side was over-oiling and not allowing the rest of the motor to get the proper amount of oil. This is something pretty easy to check, and his dealer found the cause right away. It SHOULD be checked any time there is a 'mystery' burn down, but some dealers........... Oh, btw, he has a good running motor (mechanically) right now with no ecu to power it for who knows how long, so he might even want to part it out :confused:!
:beer;:beer;Ryan

Premium Features