• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expert X 162 Skid in Apex Mnt ...advice needed

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
First off will it handle better for boondocking and Mnt. riding compared to the stock skid with gas shock ? I don't want a trench monster and I want a skid that will get on top quickly and have plenty of transfer. Someone has to have some info on the ExpertX in a Mnt. version....could really use your input Please and Thank you!

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I have had them before and currently have one in my Nytro with a 144. IMO, they are the best skid out there. Very adjustable, and by far the strongest skid money can buy. They are heavy, but oh so worth it. I will never own another skid no matter how light it is. Mine is a 144 with a 144 track, so no setback, and it gets on top the snow great.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I have one with a 162 in my 1150 Rev...Like Nikolai said, strongest skid out there, and easy to adjust.

There are positives and negatives to setting it that far back...improves the approach angle, gets up on the snow, but increases the ski pressure and harder to carve. The further you set it back, the less transfer you get.

Hope this helps.

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
set back

This Skid is a 144" version with extensions so I'm not sure if it would have to set back much really. The other thing would be how do I know where to mount it in the tunnel, contact Ad Bovin about a mounting location?

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Good luck contacting AD B for anything productive. For customer service, I rank them near the bottom. Too bad.

Do you have the original install instructions?

Who make your extensions, and how long are they?

I have the install instructions and could fax them to you.

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
info

I'm considering buying the skid, not sure the length of the extensions but I would guess about 6" from the pictures. I won't bother you for the instructions until the deal is done, tomany guys back out on deals. Thank you for your info, very helpful in this decision!

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I have extra templates you can have. They have a bunch of holes in them but they'll at least help locate the suspension. I'll try and take a few pics.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I'm considering buying the skid, not sure the length of the extensions but I would guess about 6" from the pictures. I won't bother you for the instructions until the deal is done, tomany guys back out on deals. Thank you for your info, very helpful in this decision!

Love to see it...can you post the pics w/the extensions?

Thx.

snowpromod

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Northeast Ohio
The skid is mine he is referring to - I purchased it this spring with good intentions, I would rather not tear it down and powder coat it. Here are a couple pics!!

P9060206.jpg P9060207.jpg

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
The skid is mine he is referring to - I purchased it this spring with good intentions, I would rather not tear it down and powder coat it. Here are a couple pics!!

Looks good...did you make the extensions yourself?

What are you going to use for hyfax?

snowpromod

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Northeast Ohio
I bought the skid how it sits - not sure on the the hyfax profile or extension maker - I am only going to run a 144, so if I end up keeping it the extensions are coming off.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I have extra templates you can have. They have a bunch of holes in them but they'll at least help locate the suspension. I'll try and take a few pics.

Here you go.

As for the hifax, they use the older ski-doo S-chassis profile which I think they still use now.

expert plates.jpg

Premium Features