• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Alpha Recoil Rope Rubbing on Main Harness

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Gaps in bellypan to bulkhead
eaaf61e5c19b4516f90224a675eb7842.jpg

Recoil rubbing
a8c95be7aca6b859edf00693e5bff8db.jpg

Last edited:
B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
I spend a few hours going over my new sled regardless of the brand. Mostly because I don’t trust any of the mechanic monkeys at the dealer to do a proper PDI.

Rope rubbing the main harness has been a known issue since at least the beginning of last year so I knew to look for it on my alpha. I pulled open a few side panels on some sleds on the showroom floor and every single one was rubbing. The service manager at the dealer said he’s never heard of it though, so some might not have a clue.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Checked 3 on the showroom floor and all three were rubbing. My buddies new Alpha was rubbing, but mine was not. No consistency from one sled to the next on how the coil bracket is welded on, so everyone must take the time and check their own.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Most experienced guys do looks things over well, mainly to get acquainted with the new machine, and tear it down to install goodies, like can, skidplates, bumpers, turbo's etc.

But there are plenty of gas n oil guys who could get burned on this.
Im quite honestly pissed this kind of crap makes it out the factory doors, wheres the quality control? Seems like a pretty serious issue. Wont take but a couple days worth of riding to burn through the looming and wire insulation, and poof there goes the whole electrical system! :face-icon-small-fro

Aside from those quality control items, I love the sled, my 18 MC was an animal, reliable, powerful, manueverable, spot on clutching, awesome track in the deep! Cant wait to try out the Alpha this Friday!

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
CRJ what exactly are you expecting? Perfection? I agree the factory should see these issues and address them but name one sled ever built that was perfect? Also these leaks that you speak of ???? Have a they hindered performance?

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
CRJ what exactly are you expecting? Perfection? I agree the factory should see these issues and address them but name one sled ever built that was perfect? Also these leaks that you speak of ???? Have a they hindered performance?

When the recoil rope "friction burns" through the main harness, it will definitely hinder performance! :face-icon-small-win

For $14-15k I dont expect my recoil rope to wear on the main wiring harness (not just mine but many others).

As far the other leaks, it just makes a mess of the engine compartment, allows for a lot more snow, ice, debris build up. I seal them up, and notice a significantly cleaner engine compartment at seasons end.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

For 14k, yes, they should be perfect

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
picked up my 2019 mt cat in Aug and the rope was rubbing on the injector harness. pointed it out to my dealer so he was aware of it. I only have them assemble it and I do the PDI just for these reasons.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
How did you go about fixing the rubbing of recoil rope and wire harness? I pick my alpha early next week and will try to look for this problem and any other easy to spot issues at the dealership. The AC dealership is 3hrs away from my house..

B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
I just zip tied mine out of the way. Also check all the bolts you can think of to make sure they’re tight. Yesterday I lost one of the Allen head bolts that holds the seat to the tunnel.

Premium Features