• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat M7 Reverse (by flatspeed)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I don't see why not. A possible problem might be finding a helix to work with that secondary..anyone else know?

Thats what I was woundering if that reverse helix clutch would even need a different helix. Don't know.:noidea:

How's it coming? I need one of these. I'm thinking I'll start PMing you every week till your tired of me.:face-icon-small-ton

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Does this also fit a firecat 700 with chaincase? it is a 2003 model.

Don't think it would work (the mechanical part), at least with the stock secondary.

E-reverse needs a reverse notch (torsional or compression set-up) to catch the load, which kinda means the rollers need to be encapsulated.
Doo incorporated a reverse ramp in their RER setup to make it work.

If anyone makes one (encapsulated helix for the old Cat secondary), or remembers, it would be Dalton Ind. Give them a call. They can build you anything physically possible.

You could use either Team secondary (if still available) to make this work, if having e-reverse is the main goal.

Flatspeed. Your unit will reverse direction and restart while running (I assume), like stock. Is it possible to make a simpler unit that requires manually restarting the motor?
I know you've spent some time working with this. Maybe even found out the pawl on the recoil catches or something.
Just thinking of a PCV with ignition control and a second map just for reversing rotation.

Kinda funny, but in the olden days, it was not uncommon for a bike to come in with the complaint of only running backwards.
First time I got a work order with that on there I said no way 'cause I knew so much after working on them for a whole two months lol. Went out and kicked it over, put it in gear, let out the clutch and oops, lol.
Nothing major to fix. Just re-timing or points replacement and once in a while a flywheel key.

Hurry up eh! Days are getting shorter.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
For everyone else, I *still* haven't sourced an aftermarket helix yet, but any '09-'11 M8 helix will bolt right on to diamond drive M7 secondaries, as they do have the reverse notch. What i'm trying to find is the M7 style with the removable (and adjustable) end cap, as I like having the option to adjust the secondary. Not sure why cat did away with this, cost cutting maybe?

geo, it would be fairly simple to make one that requires a manual pull in reverse, and I considered that, but in reality you would need a pull start that can pull the engine in reverse, or you would have to wrap a rope around the primary every time you wanted to start it up in reverse, hence the decision to go fully electronic/pushbutton.

Don't think it would work (the mechanical part), at least with the stock secondary.

E-reverse needs a reverse notch (torsional or compression set-up) to catch the load, which kinda means the rollers need to be encapsulated.
Doo incorporated a reverse ramp in their RER setup to make it work.

If anyone makes one (encapsulated helix for the old Cat secondary), or remembers, it would be Dalton Ind. Give them a call. They can build you anything physically possible.

You could use either Team secondary (if still available) to make this work, if having e-reverse is the main goal.

Flatspeed. Your unit will reverse direction and restart while running (I assume), like stock. Is it possible to make a simpler unit that requires manually restarting the motor?
I know you've spent some time working with this. Maybe even found out the pawl on the recoil catches or something.
Just thinking of a PCV with ignition control and a second map just for reversing rotation.

Kinda funny, but in the olden days, it was not uncommon for a bike to come in with the complaint of only running backwards.
First time I got a work order with that on there I said no way 'cause I knew so much after working on them for a whole two months lol. Went out and kicked it over, put it in gear, let out the clutch and oops, lol.
Nothing major to fix. Just re-timing or points replacement and once in a while a flywheel key.

Hurry up eh! Days are getting shorter.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
Will this keep you guys happy for a little longer while I get a website going? Work keeps getting in the way ;)

attachment.php

IMG_9639r.jpg

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Dalton Ind. (east coast Canada) has the helix you are asking for flatspeed. Adjustability is the cat's a**.

D&D and maybe BDX still sell the Team spring (more linear rate due to diameter) conversion kit too (includes bearing). 140/240 spring straight 36 for mountain use up to 163X2.6".
Best set-up for any year of DD sled.
Iv'e got a few dual angle ones if you want to stick to Cat springs. Can pass one on to your test guy here if you want to try it.

Looks robust. Where are you mounting this flatspeed?

Last edited:

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
geo, thanks, i'll contact Dalton.

The idea is to mount it to the right of the airbox, it seems to tuck nicely under the plastic there too.

attachment.php

Dalton Ind. (east coast Canada) has the helix you are asking for flatspeed. Adjustability is the cat's a**.

D&D and maybe BDX still sell the Team spring (more linear rate due to diameter) conversion kit too (includes bearing). 140/240 spring straight 36 for mountain use up to 163X2.6".
Best set-up for any year of DD sled.
Iv'e got a few dual angle ones if you want to stick to Cat springs. Can pass one on to your test guy here if you want to try it.

Looks robust. Where are you mounting this flatspeed?

IMG_9667r.jpg

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
m7reverse.com

If you have an M7 EFI and don't need a helix, there are a few available. If you replied to this thread or the old one before this post, PM me for a discount. Thanks for the patience!

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
m7reverse.com

If you have an M7 EFI and don't need a helix, there are a few available. If you replied to this thread or the old one before this post, PM me for a discount. Thanks for the patience!

Woo-hoo! I'm stoked. PM'ed ya.:face-icon-small-ton

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Got my M7 reverse kit yesterday. Looks like a fine product. I'm still waiting on my helix. Can't wait to see that sucker run in reverse. Thanks

B

blizzard_mk

Sep 25, 2010
It looks like they are currently sold out. When do you expect to have more, ideally with a helix, flatspeed? I am very interested in getting one for the '05 m7 I just picked up.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
I should have more by next week. Does anyone else want one with a helix? I've been hesitant to place an order as I'm not sure how much demand there is (a lot of guys are running aftermarket secondary setups it seems)

Let me know and I'll get some!

Premium Features